doubts from an Indian friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doubts from an Indian friend

I am V.Giriraj and I live in Mumbai, India. Possibly the first member to join your group from this country. I got DEs in June 2006 . I am using restasis (which is very costly by Indian standards) since last one month and artificial tear drops. I encounter three problems:
    a) Discomfort with bright electric lights. This increases in the nights after sunset . I am not comfortable with TV and computers at that time . I feel fresh upto 2pm or so
    b) There is blurring of vision which also increases as the day passes
    c) tiredness and pain increases as day progresses

Doctor says that dryness is not much, Schrimer's tests showed 13 and 16 mm, but there is some minor blockage of cornea/conjunctiva somewhere and maybe a minor surgery is required, later.

I would like to know whether the the problems I face are typical DES. Secondly I would like to know exactly how hot compress is taken as many seem to report that it is very beneficial. Greetings to all of you. V.Giriraj

Hi V. Giriraj!

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk. There are so many different symptoms that all of us experience, but I think that the ones you mention are pretty common among people on this site. If your schirmers test are not that low then your problem may be MGD or blepharitis, meaning you dont' have enough of the "oily" layer of your tears. Hot compresses do help alot of people with that. I've been told to get them as hot as I can stand them. The heat will help oils to flow better and hopefully give you some relief. This site has some tips on how to do compresses with a rice baggy instead of with a washcloth. Personally, I like the moist heat better than the dry heat, but everyone is different. You can try out the different methods until you find what works best for your situation.

Since your eyes get much worse as the day goes on, is it possible for you to rest them at all during the day. Even if its only for a few minutes on a lunch break or something, perhaps a hot compress and closing your eyes for a while might help get you through more of the day. Good luck and again welcome.

-Shells

Comment

How to search this site

For those of you who aren't certified geeks, here's how to search this site for all posts containing a given term, such as "hot compress."

Look up in the uppermost dark-blue bar on this page, and find this: >>SEARCH

Click on it, and you'll get a little box you can type into. Type "hot compress" (or whatever it is you're searching for), and then click the "Go" button (or press Enter). You'll be presented with a list of posts that contain those terms.

Comment

V.
        Your symptoms are common for Lacrimal Gland Dysfunction. Your symptoms become worse as the day progresses. Meibomian Gland Dysfunction patients typically are worse upon waking in the morning.

Lacrimal Gland Dysfunction's symptoms worsen throughout the day because the tear osmolarity increases throughout the day.

Meibmoian Gland Dysfunction is worse in the morning because the inflamed lid has been in contact with the cornea all night. As the day progresses and tears clean the surface of the cornea the irritation lessens.

Comment

Working...
        X