Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the forum! Eye problems out of nowhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Dowork123 That's the problem, I have no idea which eye clinics are the best ones. Yes I am desperate to be cured but at the same time I just can't afford to commit £1500 to a treatment which may or may not work for me.

Comment

My name is Vicki I’m new to this I have dry eyes because my eye lids stop closing its been awful they hurt all the time don’t know what to do

Comment

Dowork123 with a sleeping eye shield can that in anyway help the meibomian glands to start producing more oil? Or does it purely just help protect the water layer and keep bacteria at a lower level? Was curious to know if it can help with the glands producing more and better oil!

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
          Dowork123 with a sleeping eye shield can that in anyway help the meibomian glands to start producing more oil? Or does it purely just help protect the water layer and keep bacteria at a lower level? Was curious to know if it can help with the glands producing more and better oil!
          If you’re eyes are open, then the glands are becoming inflamed as they dry out. So if the problem is sleeping eyes open, it will help the glands.

Comment

Okay here’s what I did last night. I don’t have an eye shield protector yet but it’s on the way to my house. So I tried out Saran Wrap and sticky taped it to my face. Instantly my eyes were feeling like they used to. So does that mean there is no aqueous deficiency and that the ipthamologist I went to who did the Schirmer test for 5 seconds and said I had aqueous deficiency is likely wrong. I was holding my eyes open forever. That would mean my aqueous layer would be most likely good right. My TBUT of 2.5s is the reason my eyes are so damn dry.

Comment

Topher3 - You need the paper strips in for 5mins otherwise it's not a Schirmer test (at least not in the normal way everyone else does it). My tbut has been around 3 for a year with just meibomian gland problems, no issue with water as my Schirmer's is very high. The Saran Wrap really helps me to and I would guess it suggests you have an oil problem as it stops evaporation of the water you do have.

Can you can a lipiview scan of your oil layer? So many people told me my glands were fine, all open, good oil ect - then I got a scan and my oil layer was super low / basically not there.

Comment

Hi Topher
                People could have a combination of MGD and aqueous too, which is also common.
                Best is to get objective tests done & to see is to beleive!!!
                One doctors told me my glands/oil were good, no need to do compress anymore.
                A few weeks later, another doctor said I should continue.

Even the opinion leader, Prof. Chris Starr said he did not know
                ''Aqueous issue is eventually will develop to Evaporative dry eye, sooner or later.''
                until he read TFOS DEW II report published in 2017.
                Last edited by MGD1701; 04-Oct-2018, 04:29.

Comment

Lena11 Hey, yeah the two opthamologists ive been to were absolute trash. No scans were done by them they don’t really care, one said warm compresses and that my glands aren’t really blocked and warm compressors would fix it. The other one said my oil is fine and said just get scleral and move on with my life. I have an opthamologist appointment for a months time hopefully I can get all the tests done there.

MGD1701
                  yes I agree you can’t trust anyone you just need trust the actual test results. Based off how he treated the appointment (the opthamologist) I’m gonna take what he has to say with a grain of salt he didn’t care at all.

Comment

Hi Topher

IPL
                    Curious to know if doctor expressed your glands right after IPL? since you have done 4 times yet feel no much difference.
                    Seems many people feel difference from the 3rd one?? Maybe you have other issues which doctors failed to detect them??

Last edited by MGD1701; 04-Oct-2018, 13:31.

Comment

So I got my moisture goggles and slept using them for the first time last night. I woke up this morning with the goggles full of steam, but my eyes were still burning and dry. Does anyone know what this means? When I taped my eyes shut and slept, my eyes felt marginally better in the morning but I can't do this again as my eyelids were creased like I had been crying.

Comment

I tried swimming goggle for a few months before which was ok. I have not used it for about 1 year.
                        Seems I dont need it as eyes are ok when wake up.
                        Dr Korb suggests ointment, sleeping mask before bedtime.

Comment

My eyes react to all kinds of ointment. I have a silk eye mask, but the doctors say they serve no purpose (for dry eye)......

Comment

silk mask
                            well, one opinion leader, Prof. Gupta, recently recommended it to one new member.
                            If I were you, I would try it. Doctors are not always right. You wont know, until you try it.

Recently just found this advice

''Breathe Right snoring strips
                            which are super sticky on the ends. Patients can put one end on the upper lid and the other on the cheek''
                            from Bennie Jeng, MD, Professor & chair, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine.

Burning - just read this from DryEyeCoach
                            ''When tears evaporate too quickly, it leaves the cornea dry, creating a stinging or burning sensation.
                            Activities that cause you to not blink as often, such as staring at an electronic device, can contribute to this symptom.''

Comment

MGD1701 they did expression before my ipl. I thought it was weird but I don’t think it would make much of a difference. The only reasons I think why there isn’t oil coming out of my glands is either they have atrophied or there is scar tissue preventing them from expressing oil, or there is internal blockages. I don’t have any capping so I really couldn’t think of any other causes. I don’t really know if glands can “just slow down and not express oil” I feel like there needs to be a physical element to the gland itself. You said your eyes are okay in the morning, usually with mgd it’s worse, if I may ask what is your TBUT?

Comment

Expression BEFORE IPL? Are you sure? never heard of it. Should be AFTER IPL
                                because after heating up glands, even (hard) secretion is much easier to get out by expression - this makes huge difference, I think.
                                You can find many videos at YouTube - for example from Dr Toyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X