Ocular Rosacea and Dry Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular Rosacea and Dry Eye

Hi....I've always had problems with my eyes. Thought it was allergies so used Similiasan eye drops and too antihistamines. I have had Rosacea for long time and it has now spread to my eyes. My family dr prescribed antibiotic eye drops and oral antibiotics but they have not helped. In the morning my eyes are crusty on the eyelids especially eyelashes and lots of mucus in eyes. Generally whitish in colour. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions. This is affecting my eyesight as my eyes seem to keep filming over during the day. Lots of little strings come out when I wipe my eyes. I do try not to rub them. I also was diagnosed with very early signs of cataracts. So glad I found this site!!

Hi Karen,
    I have ocular rosacea, dry eye and MGD. Food and stress are my big triggers. I need to watch foods on the triggers list, and also foods that are high in histamine. Being careful about what I eat has a HUGE impact on my eyes. I have had rosacea on my face for years, and could eat almost anything, but that is not true for my eyes. I have quit eating dairy completely (except for eggs) and the only fruits I seem to tolerate are Asian Pears, green apples and some melons. I quit eating sugar (all types including "Stevia"), and limit carbs to yams, pecans, almonds, spelt bread, and oatmeal. Basically, I eat lots of fresh chicken, beef, pork and lots of acceptable veggies. I do drink coffee, but drink it black diluted 3/4 water to 1/4 coffee. Actually, it tastes better than just black coffee. Oils also bother me, and I am pretty well limited to olive oil. It is a royal pain, but I am hoping that someday I can go back to eating "normal" food and a piece of carrot cake! Best wishes to you, Karen. http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php

Comment

In the worst times, ask your doctor for a mild steroid. I know that sounds scary, but if its bad, it helps at first just to get it under control. Being on restasis is also a help (it takes 6-10 months to kick in) but its worth it. Do you take any vitamins? Omega-3s? Flaxseed? Antibiotics never really helped me THAT much, only if I was taking very high doses which i do sometimes when I am having a flare up. La Diva is right about food. You need to find out what your triggers are and they will be different for everybody. I try to follow an anti-candida diet as much as possible, but do eat more fruit than recommended because I don't find fruit bothers me unless I eat to much. You will learn what "pisses yours off" lol Diet has also been the biggest help for me, and Lotemax when its needed...

Comment

I am going to add this link, as it has a list of high histamine foods and also foods that release histamine: http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

Hope you are feeling better Karen!

Comment

Hi Karen--I also have Ocular Rosacea that kept worse and worse over the past year until I recently made a diet change to gluten-free. I posted to this forum earlier in April. Subconjuctival Hemorrhages were also one of my symptoms. Pre-gluten-free, the veins in my eyes were large, very visible and on the surface of my eye. Add dry eyes and corneal abrasions and it was hard to manage. I went on a gluten-free diet 7 weeks ago for other health issues. Within 24 hours my eyes showed improvement and within the first week, the veins in my eyes had reduced in size and I could actually see a little white in my eyes--something I hadn't seen over the past year. I've slipped up twice and eaten gluten. Both times my eyes hemorrhaged within 24 hours and were blazing red. My eyes are still dry BUT I'm not having those recurrent stabbing pains in them anymore. They aren't AS dry as before. My ophthalmologist can't explain it. The GI doctor said that he doesn't suspect that it's gluten per se but rather that my overreactive autoimmune system accidentally targeted gluten and has been targeting my eyes. I don't have Celiac Disease. Though eating gluten-free is a royal pain, I'm glad to do it for the relief. I take Oracea and use an antibiotic eye ointment every night. Also, the supplement NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) has helped me. I wish you well and hope you find a solution--

Comment

Working...
          X