Just a little intro...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little intro...

Hello all, 26 year old male here, been suffering with dry eyes for a few years now. Someone on reddit recommended this forum.

My eyes get sensitive to light, and also have an urge to squeeze my eyes. Even when my eyes are shut, I still blink / squeeze. They burn all day. When I am driving, I notice my eyes are blinking really fast. This one's a bit harder to explain, but when I am walking around in places like Costco, Rite Aid, CVS, etc., my eyes feel drowsy and I just don't want to look for whatever I'm looking for anymore.

Just some background info on my medical history (ophthalmologist says it may be related)
    Year 2010: Signs of papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer -- performed thyroidectomy. Few months after, had a radioactive iodine treatment
    Year 2011: More signs of cancer on the lymphnodes -- performed bilateral neck dissection. Few months later had radioactive iodine treatment again.
    Medication: Levothyroxine, Calcium carbonate, calcium acetate, calcitriol,hydrochlorothiazide.

I played a lot of computer games as a teenager to my mid 20s, which may also be a cause for my dry eyes. I work as IT help desk support, so I am in front of a computer all day.

Started seeing ophthalmologist last year, around winter time. She has had me on restasis since then and told me to frequently use eye lubricant (Systane balance, Soothe XP, Retaine, etc). Night time before I sleep, I put on the Genteal gel, and use a hot compress on the eye a few times a week. She then referred me to another doctor this year, around May to get punctal plugs. Still have terrible dry eye symptoms. I plan on driving more often next year, so I really want to drive with not so severe dry eye symptoms.

Some other things I've heard of but yet to try out are Xiidra, the blood serum, scleral lens. Based on everyone's experience and knowledge, and given my history, would these help?
    Last edited by sleeperbcell; 30-Nov-2018, 11:43.

Hey,

Just thought id reach out as I to am young at 24 years old suffering with severe dry eyes. I take it youre in America? I have heard both Xiidra and Blood Cord Serum drops and or PRP/PRP injections could help you ?

A great facebook page is the "Dry Eye Support Community". You can ask to join this group and there are a lot of people on this group that have tried various treatments such as IPL, Gland probing etc.

Im currently doing IPL now hoping to see if this will give me any improvements.

Comment

Hello, yes I am in America. I am just planning on giving restasis another month to see if any changes. I read that restasis takes a few months to have any effect (i took restasis for awhile but it was on and off in the beginning). I plan to see my ophthalmologist january. I want to bring a list of questions / treatment options to discuss with her. My initial plan is to ask about Xiidra and try that out as a replacement for restasis. If that fails, I can move onto something like blood serums. I have yet to know what PRP injections or glad probing are but those seem a bit more complicated so I want to take smaller steps first.

Comment

Hi
        what important is an accurate diagnose from objective data/tests to stop progression. Such as
        osmolarity, MMP-9 (inflammation), gland image, gland function, tear volume/lake, blinking pattern, lipid layer thickness, staining etc.
        some medication can reduce tear production so please provide doctor the medication you take.

Moisture glasses, like 7Eye is a must both for pc work (can block blue light too) or outdoor.
        blinking exercise, every hour.

More info, please read my old posts
        http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/ar...a-tea-tree-oil
        http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...dr-mark-milner

Comment

Thank you for the information! I will have a little read. In addition, I just scheduled an appointment for my ophthalmologist this coming Thursday. I want to be prepared and bring some questions/tests I want to try when I meet with her.

Test osmolarity and MMP-9 to rule out certain issues/problems
          Maybe try Xiidra.
          Diet / supplements such as omega-3.

Comment

examine these 3 are very imporant, if you have not done so.

gland function - glands could look perfect but no function
            + Lipid layer thickness and gland images, blinking by LipiView etc (details read my old post)

as if there is an obstruction, you should remove it earlier, with LipiFlow, IPL etc for comfort and to save glands too.

Good luck!

Comment

MGD gave good advice

you need a full work up...
              lipiview or lipiscan (gland imagining, LLT and blink)
              osmarity (most doctors find it worthless, but data never hurts)
              inflammadry (to determine if you have MMP9 inflammatory markers present. Also, to determine if treatments working. You most likely have MMP9 upregulation, so it’s more about seeing if it goes away. For example, if you take restasis and the inflammation remains, restasis isn’t working)
              TBUT (tear break up time)
              schirmers (liquid tear production)
              lissimine greem staining (specialized staining to help determine the cause of the dry eye)
              IOP (intra ocular pressure, good to know where you stand in case you start steroid therapy)

this is should be a minimum in my humble opinion. You may need more specialized staining and other tests also. This however, should give you an idea of what’s going on assuming you have a great doctor. thats the key, a great doctor.

Comment

Working...
              X