Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, dry eyes causing static vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, dry eyes causing static vision?

Hi, I see this is where you're supposed to make your introduction but I'm not sure how much detail you're supposed to give on your problems here. I guess I'll just give a brief run down and then I can go into more detail in the appropriate sections.

I'm 34 and apart from being pretty nearsighted and needing glasses since I was a teenager, I haven't really had eye problems (Other than floaters, but I just live with them like most people) until now. A while ago I noticed a kind of static effect to my vision, like a grain to things that's kind of moving. I notice it most on blank spaces like walls, or in the dark, but I can notice it in other things as well. I think I might have had this to some effect for a long time, but for some reason I've really noticed it the last month and it's driving me crazy.

I was long overdue for an optometrist appointment and got one, and they ran a bunch of tests. They said everything about my eyes looked fine except my eyes were dry and my eyelids looked inflamed. I was prescribed some Tobradex eye drops for the inflammation and some Systane Balance for the dryness. The static never went away and ten days later I showed up again for my follow up appointment, where I was told that the inflammation had cleared up but my eyes were still dry. I was then told to go find a preservative free eye drop, use it three times a day for three weeks and to see if that clears it up. I'm a little over a week in and so far it hasn't.

So I have some questions but I imagine the topic based forums are more appropriate for those? Thanks for having this board!

You may be referring to something called visual snow. Are you taking any benzodiazepines? Are you anxious as hell right now? Let’s see if we can figure out what’s going on. I’m sorry you’re not doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes View Post
      Hi, I see this is where you're supposed to make your introduction but I'm not sure how much detail you're supposed to give on your problems here. I guess I'll just give a brief run down and then I can go into more detail in the appropriate sections.

I'm 34 and apart from being pretty nearsighted and needing glasses since I was a teenager, I haven't really had eye problems (Other than floaters, but I just live with them like most people) until now. A while ago I noticed a kind of static effect to my vision, like a grain to things that's kind of moving. I notice it most on blank spaces like walls, or in the dark, but I can notice it in other things as well. I think I might have had this to some effect for a long time, but for some reason I've really noticed it the last month and it's driving me crazy.

I was long overdue for an optometrist appointment and got one, and they ran a bunch of tests. They said everything about my eyes looked fine except my eyes were dry and my eyelids looked inflamed. I was prescribed some Tobradex eye drops for the inflammation and some Systane Balance for the dryness. The static never went away and ten days later I showed up again for my follow up appointment, where I was told that the inflammation had cleared up but my eyes were still dry. I was then told to go find a preservative free eye drop, use it three times a day for three weeks and to see if that clears it up. I'm a little over a week in and so far it hasn't.

So I have some questions but I imagine the topic based forums are more appropriate for those? Thanks for having this board!
      Do you mean something similar to the spot in the picture below by "static"?

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
        You may be referring to something called visual snow. Are you taking any benzodiazepines? Are you anxious as hell right now? Let’s see if we can figure out what’s going on. I’m sorry you’re not doing well.
        I've looked into visual snow and I can see it being a possibility, although my optometrist thinks it's dry eyes. I'm not taking any benzodiazepines, nor am I more anxious than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Do you mean something similar to the spot in the picture below by "static"?

Unfortunately I can't see the picture. I haven't seen anything that really matches what I see although the visual snow description shown starting around 1:25 in this video comes closest. https://youtu.be/WKQT1MXfasM

The difference from the video is my grain is much much finer (smaller particles) and there isn't really a color to it. It also is nearly gone/imperceptible on images with a lot of detail, moving things, unlike the example with the video where it's the same on everything.

Comment

Hobbes hi, I have this too and especially at the start of my dry eye problem. It’s like what you see at 1.25 in that video but for me it’s more fine static like as if the size of the sharp end of the pin I see trillions of black and whatever the background colour is, moving around but not as large as shown in the video. It gets better for me if I drink more water for some reason and keep my eyes constantly moist as soon as they’re dry again it’s more noticeable for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
              Hobbes hi, I have this too and especially at the start of my dry eye problem. It’s like what you see at 1.25 in that video but for me it’s more fine static like as if the size of the sharp end of the pin I see trillions of black and whatever the background colour is, moving around but not as large as shown in the video. It gets better for me if I drink more water for some reason and keep my eyes constantly moist as soon as they’re dry again it’s more noticeable for sure.
              I’ve read this may be an increased sensitivity to light causing that possibly. If the lights are off, is it more apparent? I know for me, when I make a cut to my Xanax, I get this bad. Also, sometimes if I stare at walls, the lines in the wall, meaning the edges and corners of the walls that form a vertical line, those would vibrate, if I stare long enough, those lines just jump around like a string that was lightly plucked. Crazy visual symptoms

yesterday I had my second ocular migraine. Crazy hallucinations when that happens. Lasted about 20 mins. Wasn’t as freaked cause I knew what it was. Just wish I knew why it was happening. I feel last time it was triggered by a sharp drop in Xanax. This time I’m not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

Also, sometimes if I stare at walls, the lines in the wall, meaning the edges and corners of the walls that form a vertical line, those would vibrate, if I stare long enough, those lines just jump around like a string that was lightly plucked.
                This happens with me too. I believe it's because of a low TBUT. When you stare for long enough without blinking (stare time > your TBUT) the tear film starts breaking in the later stages of your stare and the aqueous layer starts evaporating rapidly which results in a refractive medium in front of the cornea whose refractive index is changing rapidly with time. After an initial few seconds of visual vibrations your vision probably goes blurry eventually (if I guess it right).

The phenomenon is quite similar to looking at things through the atmosphere over a boiling pool of oil or water when you see things kind of distorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
                  I know I should drink more water. Mine usually stays the same for the most part. I'm really hoping it's just dry eyes damaging my corneas and I'm hoping they'll heal over time now that I'm using artificial tears.

Comment

Working...
                  X