Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for info

Hello.
    I'm new here and hoping to get some information that will help.
    From what little I've read, I'm more fortunate than many here but my dry eye symptoms are still extremely annoying. It started somewhat suddenly and I've had the problem for about 18 months, and under the treatment of an ophthalmologist for the last year. I have tried doxycycline, hot compresses, all sorts of drops, nighttime gels, etc. and vitamins/fish oil supplements. I don't think any of it has helped much, although the hot compresses provide temporary relief (the doc claims he can see the waxy plugs blocking my meibomian glands). I'm not quite ready to try anything more invasive as the problem hasn't been quite as bad lately as it once was, but I'm willing to try just about anything else!
    I don't know how common this is either, but the problem is only in one eye (or maybe the other eye is so much better it just seems unaffected). That tends to make me think it's not just an aging process kind of thing (I'm 40). I'm otherwise very healthy, no LASIK, no medications, ...
    If anyone has some suggestions that I haven't run across yet I'd be very interested to hear them. Thanks.

Welcome, 303707!

You're certainly in the right place. I would suggest looking all over this web site and you'll find probably every possible remedy. This site is well-organized, so with a little time you can easily navigate and read things that have worked or failed for us dry eye patients.

Off hand, you might consider goggles. Also, I wake myself up in the night to instill drops so as not to let my eyes get too dry at night. My days go better when my nights do. I also run a humidifyer in my room all year. Read about Dr. Holly's drops which have really made a difference for some patients.

I am also a dry eye patient (post-LASIK) and understanding how frustrating this condition is.

Best of luck!

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Welcome....

Sounds like you're doing all the right things in terms of working on those meibomians. Makes me wonder what additional factor there might be that's clogging them faster than you can clear them.

One thought - just a small possibility - is it possible you're overdoing it with the eyedrops and things? What are you using now and how often? When the meibomians are under-functioning, it can be that much more important to ensure that whatever good stuff gets in your tears isn't diluted/washed away by overdosing on artificial tears.

You might want to have a look at the Demodex information (search on that word in the bulletin board) - that was all very new to me and has proven very valuable as an explanation of some really stubborn blepharitis cases blocking the meibomians.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

p.s. Have you been doing lid scrubs? Can be very important for lid hygiene and also helps stimulate the glands.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the responses thus far. I've basically tried everything mentioned thus far and also tried backing off on things when I thought maybe I was overdoing it... but the information on demodex folliculorum was news to me. Very interesting. My ophthalmologist had of course mentioned rosacea to me (probably because I'm light-skinned and Nordic descent) but what he prescribed for eye ointment (Tobradex) wasn't mentioned with the other items I read about specifically targeting demodex. Now I'm anxious to get near a microscope to pull out my eyelashes and take a look!
          Thanks again. I'll keep reading and keep trying anything that seems promising!

Comment

Originally posted by 303707:
            I don't think any of it has helped much, although the hot compresses provide temporary relief (the doc claims he can see the waxy plugs blocking my meibomian glands). I'm not quite ready to try anything more invasive as the problem hasn't been quite as bad lately as it once was, but I'm willing to try just about anything else!
            I hear ya' 303707. I'm not a fan of invasive procedures. Question: did your doctor attempt to press on your meib glands to expel the waxy plugs? My doctor did ( I won't soon forget it - quite a bit of pressure) and there was a gush of crud into my eyes that blurred my vision when the plugs broke free. He thought it was 'cool' as he watched it happen through the slit lamp. I've been devoted to doing warm compresses to melt the plugs and lid massage to expel the oil ever since.
            Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
            X