Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Scotland

Hi all,

Can't believe I found a dry eye forum........hopefully I can share and learn something here. I haven't browsed yet, thought I'd introduce myself first...and my story.

Male, 41 years old. Dry eye sufferer (diagnosed) for past 18 months. Asthmatic for 33 years. Also suffer from Retinal Vein Occlusions (effectively a dead/blind spot on the retina). Non-diabetic.

Here we go:-

18 months ago whilst sat at work in front of my PC my right eye went very blurred all of a sudden. Got up and walked around, went back and it was better but soon went bad again. Was beside myself with worry at the time because I had suffered a Retinal Vein Occlusion (small) in that same eye 5 years previous....I immediately thought the worst and maybe it had gotten bigger.

I went to the eye clinic, they said my occlusion had not changed and that I had blepharitis and gave me artificial tears and told me to wash my eye-lids with baby shampoo (doesn't sting). My life changed at that moment, the stinging, itchy and sore eyes were with me almost constantly. My right eye especially was sore.

The months went by and I was back to the eye clinic numerous times.....trying different drops/gels but nothing was really helping me. A hot dry office didn't help.

Eventually some months later they decided to fit me with lower punctum plugs. It was better, but only really marginally.

I got fed up of the NHS eventually and seeked private health care. Found DAVID CRYSTAL in Edinburgh and went to see him. What a revelation!
    David gave me aq full examination and asked me what I was using on my eyes/lids. His exact words regarding my NHS treatment to date was "no good, that won't help you".

He explained that the 22 pores/glands along each eye-lid were blocked and that the eye drops and baby shampoo wouldn't help at all. He took photos and showed my eye-lids to me.....I could see all the micro pores/glands were blocked!
    To help me, he showed me how to use a hot compress and massage the eye-lids and clear the gland. I do this every night. As well as a lid cleaning solution, he also prescribed me OCUMED eye drops as he said I also had evaporitive dry eyes. I had a two pronged problem!

A return visit some 5 months later and further photos of my eyes revealed that the pores/glands were clear. I concurred and told him that I had noticed that my eyes were "better"....but not cured. He said all that I had remaining now was the evaporitive dry eyes.

Apart from the stinging eyes, one of the biggest problems I have is the retinal vein occlusions. You see, because in my right eye the occlusion is almost dead on centre of vision, when I have a dry right eye the occlusion to me looks bigger and spread out more. I believe (my own theory) this is much like a dirty windscreen on your car will scatter light as it hits the glass. When I don't have a dry right eye the occlusion to me is smaller and more defined.....when the eye is dry it's more clouded andscattered in appearance.

The biggest problem for me right now is that my right eye especially is "sore"....much like the pain from toothache. It's that bad sometimes that the pain seems to spread so that the whole side of my face is sore.

Also, my right eye is more sensitive to bright lights......if I look at a bright PC monitor screen my vision is unbalanced and the right eye seems to glare.

I am contemplating upper punctum plugs......

Sorry for the long post....I get carried away!

Ian.

Hello IanJ,

Welcome although I'm sorry you have to join us. It sounds like you've gone thru some truly rough times and I'm glad things are a bit better for you with the blepharitis anyway. There are many wonderful people and inspiring (and at times saddening) stories for you to research thru the DRYEYEZONE. There are all kinds of helpful hints, different recommendations for eye drops and other treatments that you should find very helpful. I hope the pain in your right eye (and surrounding area) calms down SOON and FOREVER!

Best regards,

Judy (from Melbourne, FL)

Comment

Eye pain

Hello IanJ,

I am not sure how to do the "quote" thing, but I am going to try to respond to two of your statements:

(The biggest problem for me right now is that my right eye especially is "sore"....much like the pain from toothache. It's that bad sometimes that the pain seems to spread so that the whole side of my face is sore.

Also, my right eye is more sensitive to bright lights......if I look at a bright PC monitor screen my vision is unbalanced and the right eye seems to glare.)

When I started having the dry eye problem, these were two of the most troublesome things I experienced - the same as you are. I could barely drive myself to work when the sun was out and I pretty much had to stay out of stores that had bright overhead lighting (which is all of them). Work was nearly impossible and I thought I was losing my mind. The pain in the right side of my face was so debilitating, especially at night, that I thought I would never sleep again. I saw multitudes of doctors who could not explain it until I saw an ophthalmologist/neurologist who helped me figure out what it was. For me, this was Trigeminal Neuralgia and with the proper medication, I have it under control. He explained that the cornea is directly linked to the trigeminal nerve and severe dry eye can trigger this. I still have the dry eye problem but with cautery in my lower ducts, dry eye supplements and lots of drops, I have been able to deal with it. This has been a 4 year journey for me that at the present time is manageable. Your situation may be a totally different experience, but please know that you are not alone with this and you will read so many stories here that will help you. They are all different, but they are also the same. We are all looking for relief and someone who understands. Everyone here 'gets it' and can sympathize with you. You might also find some helpful hints that might work for you. So good luck and know that you are not alone.

Comment

Working...
      X