Hi, I'm new here.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new here.....

Hi, I'm the new kid on the block. I stumbled on this website some time ago and I was like a woman in the desert seeing a mirage! I seriously don't know anybody else who has this problem so I feel very isolated and alone. This is the first opportunity that I have had to post anything and I want to tell you my saga because I feel now that somebody will "get" what I go through. I will try to keep it short. The beginning of my dry eye problems started about two years ago with just a burning sensation and watering in my eyes, while driving home at the end of the workday. My doctor suggested that I get my vision checked which I did and was told "your eyes are dry, use these drops" and a prescription for driving glasses "if I wanted to be bothered filling it" because my distance vision is not bad.

I will summarize here: got glasses with clip on sunglasses, did NOT help one bit, returned glasses, bought expensive wrap-around sunglasses, eye condition worsened, eyes became very light-sensitive and I was blinking constantly, back to G.P, (Dr. L) and she prescribed hormones (because at 54 years old, I was in menopause) and in all I tried HRT alone, HRT with testosterone orally and testosterone cream on eyelids (because I had read that these treatments might help dry dye). None of this worked. Lead to my first appointment with an opthamologist - a Dr. P. who was ancient and not up on new dry eye treatments at all (and consequently gave me very bad advice on how to treat dry eye!) but he did pinpoint that I had Rosacea so that was helpful.

Next, back to Dr. L., G.P. who sent me to a dermatologist (Dr. G) to confirm the Rosacea diagnosis who's only comment when she saw me was "yes, you have Rosacea but I don't know why you've been sent to me - you need to see an opthamologist". Back to G.P., Dr. L who set up an appointment with another optha. (Dr. W) but I could not get in for months! Got prescription (from a G.P.) for Doxyclycline, an anti-inflammatory drop and MetroCream for the rosacea and waited, getting worse by the day. Finally (after 4 month wait) got in to see Dr. W., optha. and she gave me bottom punctal plugs, advice about warm compresses and cleaning with Blephagel and using preservative-free drops (something the other ophtha. said was not necessary - bad advice), taking BioTears supplement twice daily and at that time I took myself off the HRT and Doxycycline because I had read that HRT might not be good for dry eye and Dr. W. concurred and she felt that since I had been on the antibiotic for 3 months already that was long enough to have got a benefit if there was one to be had. I also felt that the antibiotic made my eyes really unbearably light-sensitive - a side effect for some people. (I forgot to add that in the waiting time I had also gone for about 6 acupuncture treatments, seen a Naturopath and was taking stuff she had prescribed.) Anyway, Dr. W (new optha.) really knew her stuff and I got MUCH better with the punctal plugs, cleaning, and preservative-free drops (I seem to like BionTears best). I was never 100% better but I was about 70% better, coping, and able to drive comfortably again etc.

All was going well until the Fall of 2006 when my symptoms got worse and worse. Couldn't get in right away to see Dr. W - had to wait till January. Saw another ophtha. in the meantime because I was going crazy and could not function and he gave me prescrip for steroid drops and set up an appointment with a dermatologist - follow the bouncing ball..... for March 2007. Anyway, I finally got in to see Dr. W. in Jan 07 and now am on a milder steroid eyedrop, and Restasis. My situation has become so bad that I have had to take a leave of absense from my job (like many others I have an office job, was on a computer all day, did filing etc., worked under florescent lights), am on unemployment and I am so depressed that things have become this bad for me. I am taking too many supplements to list here and just recently added NAC which I also read a bit about on this website and read the research. I don't know if the Restasis will work or not (I've only been 21 days on it and the new steroid eyedrop) and I am anxious all the time. When I read the horror stories that others have gone through it really scares me because I wonder if that's going to be me too. I know you can't tell me that, but thanks for listening to my tale of woe. I am hoping to make some new friends out there (even if just by e-mail). I am in the Toronto area, live alone, and would love to have a friend to talk to on the phone occasionally. I hardly leave my house now because going out causes me so much distress. Driving is my worst nightmare because I have trouble keeping my eyes open and forget going to movies and most social events so I am really isolated! Looking for hope and friendship,
    Maureen
    Last edited by MaureenC; 07-Feb-2007, 13:45. Reason: forgot something...

Hello Maureen!

You've done a nice job of describing your situation. It's easy for others (us) to follow and gives a nice snapshot of where you've been. Somehow, I think this is/will be useful to you (the patient) when you need to have a medical summary to present to all the docs you have seen. This is harder to do than one imagines. Most of us have gone through at least some of what you have, but do not have it put together as well.

Looking for hope and friendship,
    You will find both here. You fit in the "older female" category as I do. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes it's used as the reason we have dry eyes and related issues. There is a wide variety of ages, reasons, also plenty of males included on the boards. Less in number than the gals, but plenty of very astute guys who are not just satisfied with "you have dry eyes, use drops."

Some of us have dry eyes resulting from lasik surgery (me), others from using drugs as Accutane as an acne treatment, some have no idea, rosacea, Sjogrens Syndrome are some of the people on board. You'll get some ideas from the gang. Many are up on the latest meds etc. One thing we almost all have benefited from is the use of goggle-like glasses. I have a few pair of foam-lined goggles used to keep air current away from our eyes and help us retain as much moisture as possible. My favorite is a pair of Panoptx goggles with my prescription AND progressive bifocals with Transition lens. I may look a little odd in the doctor's office or grocery store while wearing these, but who cares? When outdoors, they look rather cool, just like a pair of wraparound glasses. They are especially appropriate in our Midwest weather now, sub-zero temps and blizzard conditions.

Best to you, Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Understand

Maureen,
      I understand how you feel. I am new to this site and have already found a wealth of information. Hang in there as best you can. I have dry eye as a result of conjunctivitis and lasik surgery. Somedays I feel like I will never get better and be myself again. Please know that there are alot of us out there feeling as you do.
      Terri

Comment

(Thread moved)

Hi Maureen, and welcome to DryEyeTalk!

I've moved this thread here from the "Help Desk" forum, which is intended more for technical help with the bulletin board.

Comment

Maureen,

Just curious, are all 4 punctums plugged?

Comment

About the punctal plugs....

Hi Jade,

Thanks for taking an interest! I currently have only the lower punctums plugged. My Ophthamologist said that plugging the other two could be an option. Right now I decided just to try the steroid drops and Restasis. She said that if I don't get better she may decide to send me for tests for Sjogren's. I hope it does not come to that.

Comment

This is for Lucy, BlueEyes and DES Admin....

Hi there,

Maureen again. Thanks so much Lucy for your advice and Blue Eyes for your kind words and special thanks to DES Admin for getting me straightened out on how to do things here! You have been very patient and kind to me. I am a novice at this so though I desperately wanted to reply to you when I read all of your posts, I did not know how because I mistakenly thought that I could reply to the last message only. So now I understand better how the bulletin boards work! Lucy, maybe I could benefit from the goggles you speak of but they are not available here in Canada and neither are the Dakrina drops that people speak so highly of......I printed the specs on Dakrina (when I was working and still had access to a printer, which I don't now) and showed it to my optha. and she said that she wouldn't recommend them because of the ingredients listed. That doesn't mean I might not try them (if I could get them) because they seem to be so highly recommended by others. I guess you have to be fitted for the goggles though so don't know how I would do that.....so many new ideas to think about that my head is swimming....My biggest challenge at the moment is fighting anxiety and depression. I am one of those people who genuinely likes to work - I know it's a sickness ha,ha but I am like a fish out of water when I am not in a routine of going somewhere and and being with people. I sent an e-mail to someone else on this site to get some tips about dealing with ocular rosacea (which I believe to be my main problem) and she was kind enough to reply and that lifts my spirits a little just knowing that there are people in the world who truly understand what it's like dealing every day with the devastation that this disease brings to one's life. Well, I have rambled on long enough, can you tell that I am lonely and don't want to shut the computer off? lol Have a great day everyone!

Comment

You're doing fine, Maureen. While those who grew up with computers generally figure these things out more easily, almost everyone encounters a steep learning curve on bulletin boards. And in another month, you'll be a pro at this.

For anyone else who's frustrated at the complexity of bulletin board software, or having trouble figuring out a specific feature, feel free to e-mail me. Also, there are some tips for beginners, as well as more advanced features, in the "Help Desk" forum.

Comment

Maureen, you should be able to buy Panoptx goggles even though you live in Canada. Do you have a prescription? If so, it makes it harder to order the goggles. If not, it could be as simple as reading the site, picking a frame and ordering. You can find info on this board about Panoptx.

Also recommended is going to a local dealer who may carry the Panoptx and personally try on the different styles. I went to the local Harley Davidson deler and tried on a couple of frames to get an idea of what would fit my face. I ordered through Panoptx, with the help of my ophthalmologist who faxed the RX and stuff straight to them

I did, however, have a problem getting the progressive bifocals set to proper height. Panoptx could not "guess", so they had to send the frames to me and I had to see a local optometry shop and have them measure me for correct height. They marked them (guessing) and then I sent back to Panopts. It was difficult because no one wanted to be responsible for something they did not "make or manufacture" or have a part in fitting. If you can just wear over the counter lens, you won't have that problem. I am wearing my Panoptx right now. I feel like an astronaut and look the part.

Dakrina drops are available on this website, although I think it may not be possible for them to mail to another country. DEZ may weigh in on this.

Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

For Maureen
                    ---thanks to DES Admin for getting me straightened out on how to do things here!
                    Hi and Welcome!
                    DETalk really does help. Here's a bulletin board tip you might not have noticed--one that I like very much. Click on "New Posts" at top, and voila!--all the new posts of the day (or hour, or minute) appear, and you don't miss anything.

C66

(Quick clarification from DEZadmin: You'll find "New Posts" in the uppermost dark-blue bar on the page, next to ">>SEARCH".)

Comment

I'm with you

Dear Maureen-

I'm 53, and the disorder affected me similarly, at the outset. . .I have rosacea, too, and so it's safe to conclude that we both have meibomian gland dysfunction, which can often cause the horrible air and light sensitivity. When I was hit with this 8.5 years ago, I stopped living, basically. . Couldn't drive or work. . .It took a while to happen upon a solution, but when that kicked in, I came back to life and have been doing incredibly well since. . .For me the fix has been moisture chamber glasses (Eagle Vision shields fitted around my regular prescription glasses. . ) and Restasis. . .The Restasis has cut my pain to almost nothing, now, even though it's done nothing to improve my 0-sec. tear break-up time. . .and the glasses reduce my air sensitivity. . .I've been working an intense reading job in the govt. for nearly 5 years now. . .

I still quest for a full solution, but technologies and meds are so superior to what they were even 8 years ago, that I know you are going to improve . . and by a lot. . .

For a long while, I placed faith in holistic therapies, but when they failed I embraced conventional medicine and plain old mechanics (my glasses). . .

I did live alone or lonely for a while, but I got the courage, after about 6 years into the disease, to put myself out there on an online match service, using a photo of myself in moisture chamber glasses! with my doggy in tow. . .(I adopted her when I was wearing a bandage lens to cover a debrided cornea. .because I really needed a reason to live. . .She was it, and I have her still. . .My treasure. . .) Anyway. . . the glasses didn't scare away the lovely mate I selected, and now we are going to marry. . .

Sometimes I believe that without the illness, some of these great things would not have happened. . .

So please take heart. . .I would love to talk, but my work hours make this impossible right now. . .

In a few months, I'll be in another job and lifestyle. . .If you still need to talk, write me in a month or two and we'll exchange numbers. . .OK?

Rojzen
                      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support....

Hi there,

Lucy, I do need glasses for everything close-up and only wear them for reading, using the computer etc. I am likely confused, but you said that you went to Harley Davidson and tried on some goggles but then ordered them from Panoptyx. Does this mean the H.D. sells goggles? There is a H.D. dealership not far from where I live. Do they sell the Panoptyx brand? I might need two pairs of them, one for reading etc and a pair for when I am watching t.v., driving etc.

Thanks, Calli for the tip about where to look for new posts - should be most helpful.

Rojzen, you have given me such hope! I am so happy to hear that you have someone special in your life. You really deserve it after all you have been through! I have a boyfriend; we have been together for over 4 years, since before I got sick, and he is hanging in there so far but I know this must be really hard on him and he feels so helpless so much of the time and I wonder sometimes why he sticks around. I have been depressed to the point of considering suicide and I know how crazy that must sound but I feel so overwhelmed by this sometimes and such a sense of failure and hopelessness. You sound like such a strong person and I envy your persistence. I can so relate to what you said about trying other therapies and then returning to the tried and true. Only someone who has been through this could possible understand how desperate one becomes for help; for just wanting life to be "normal" again. I get so sad when I think of how small my world has become since this illness and wonder if I will ever be able to smile again. Before this happened to me people would have described me as pretty, looking young for my age, witty and fun to be around and now I just look tired, sad, and stressed and have all but lost my quick sense of humour. It has changed who I am, I fear forever. I have supportive friends and family but as you know, we all have to take care of ourselves in the end no matter how much people care about us. I'm still here so I guess there is still hope....

Wishing you the very best in your new relationship and new life. You sound like a wonderful lady.

Comment

Lucy, I do need glasses for everything close-up and only wear them for reading, using the computer etc. I am likely confused, but you said that you went to Harley Davidson and tried on some goggles but then ordered them from Panoptyx. Does this mean the H.D. sells goggles? There is a H.D. dealership not far from where I live. Do they sell the Panoptyx brand? I might need two pairs of them, one for reading etc and a pair for when I am watching t.v., driving etc.
                          1. You need to visit your Harley Davidson dealer and see what they carry in stock. IF they carry Panoptx, try some on and see what fits you well.

2. I cannot know if your HD dealer carries Panoptx, mine does.

3. I ordered from Panoptx because I need with RX and had to have my ophth involved. I doubt that I'd try doing an RX through a Harley Davidson dealer. Panoptx will work with your eye doc.

4. The only think you'll want from HD is the kind of goggles that fit you. Unless you want to buy off the rack.

5. My Panoptx with my RX PLUS progressive bifocals cost $500. This means you'll need to assess your needs carefully unless you have lots of money.

6. If you need distance RX and bifocals, you'd probably just get the bifocals built in the prescription goggles. You wouldn't need two separate pair of goggles.

7. This can be complicated as I detailed above, but it was worth it for me as I have the goggles that I can wear inside and/or outside. OR going back and forth. I can see distance and read with them.

8. Again, I can't see why you would need two pair of goggles. I don't know if you prefer progressive bifocals or not. I've always had them. If you can deal with the flat-line bifocals, you'll save a lot of money and they are easier to fit in the goggles without you being there for measurment. A pair of RX goggles with plain bifocals (not progressives) would be much less than $500.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks, Lucy..

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the info. I think you've misunderstood something though. I don't need glasses for watching t.v., driving etc. and when I am doing all activities other than reading, using computer I don't wear glasses. That's the only reason that I said I might need two pairs. One would be without prescription, the other with. I don't want to get bifocals of any kind. I might check out H.D. in my area and just see what they have available "off the rack". One further question, do they work like the tranquileyes that people have mentioned on this site - that is do they have a moisture chamber or do they just protect your eyes from wind etc.?

Maureen

Comment

Maureen, you could simply buy the Panoptx from any local dealer if you don't need bifocals! Harley Davidson is only an example. Possibly another choice may be a high end sporting goods store.

Tranquileyes are to be worn with the eyes shut. At night, resting while listening to music, traveling on a plane etc. Panoptx is for active wear, inside or out. Tranquileyes makes it so you can't see. You could probably benefit from both. I have the Transition lens which change to dark lens when you go outside.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X