Hi everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone!

I've been reading/lurking for a while and decided to join.

I am a 53 year old female, mother of 3 sons in college (that's why I'm broke!). My husband has a small business and I do book keeping for him and I am a potter.

My dry eye comes from menopause (7 years ago), allergy/sinus with related medications problems.

Thanks for allowing me to participate!

Welcome rhawkins!

I'm a newbie here, but I wanted to welcome you! And your dry eyes ...

I'm fascinated by your job. How long have you been a potter? Does it interfere at all with your dry eyes? mj

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I had to quit throwing pottery on the wheel about a year ago due to spurs on my spine. Though I miss it, I still do quite a bit of handbuilding. The clay is very drying to my skin, so I don't imagine it helps the dry eye too much. I am careful to use a respirator and goggles during clean up since I am stirring up the dry clay particles.

Becky

Comment

Welcome Becky-

I used to be a potter, too--and, I still do bookkeeping for my husband's company. Like you, my dry eyes are likely due to menopause (I'm 57), but my eyes have been dry ever since I've lived in New Mexico, USA (since 1976).

Anyway--just wanted to make a short, off-topic comment. I suffered from a bad knee--from the potter's wheel/footpedal--and solved it by raising the wheel 16" off the floor (put concrete blocks set vertically under the legs of the potters wheel). That way, I can throw pots standing up. Would that work for you?

I think I may have done some damage to my eyes from looking into the peephole of the kilns during firing--before I got smart and bought a pair of welder's goggles. I know for a fact that I overheated the anti-reflective coating on a pair of glasses--from checking cones in the peephole.

I subjected my eyes and lungs to some awful wood smoke and tire re-tread smoke, too--while firing kilns.

And ceramic dusts---I damaged the sclera on my right eye from feldspar dust (slightly caustic and abrasive)--sanding porcelain while wearing contact lenses. Wore a respirator but didn't protect my eyes. I had to have my eye operated on in 1987. It's still dry, red, and sensitive in that area.

I have mostly quit making pots--since 2002, but haven't given up my studio.

Again--glad you found us here.

C66

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
          Welcome Becky-

Anyway--just wanted to make a short, off-topic comment. I suffered from a bad knee--from the potter's wheel/footpedal--and solved it by raising the wheel 16" off the floor (put concrete blocks set vertically under the legs of the potters wheel). That way, I can throw pots standing up. Would that work for you?

I think I may have done some damage to my eyes from looking into the peephole of the kilns during firing--before I got smart and bought a pair of welder's goggles. I know for a fact that I overheated the anti-reflective coating on a pair of glasses--from checking cones in the peephole.

I have mostly quit making pots--since 2002, but haven't given up my studio.

Again--glad you found us here.

C66
          Thanks!

My wheel was (sold it recently) a Shimpo VL whisper with adjustable leg height and I tried throwing on a table top. My problem came when trying to compress the clay to center it, no matter what position I was in. I have enjoyed getting into handbuilding more.

I have a small kiln with a computer board on it so that I don't need to use the peep hole. I've learned to pamper/baby my eyes since I began having problems with dry eye.

Comment

Working...
          X