Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New plugs and questions

Hi,

I have read info on the site, but this is my first post.

My dry eyes seem be from a variety of issues including mild inflamation of the oil glands, peri/menopausal issues, and the doctor brought up thyroid as being a possibility too. That one doesn't make sense because although I only have half a thyroid, I am on medication and have been stable for years. It is my gut feeling it is more menopause than anything because I know how my hormones have changed over the last couple of years and it all coincides with that.
    Many years ago, I was told I had blepheritis and I assumed that was causing my problem along the hormone changes from perimenopause/menopause. The opthamologist said I don't have blepheritis. I have been using Theratears Nutrition for Dry eyes for about 2 years. I only take 2 of the caps/day. I have used Genteal gel drops, but mostly use Theratears gel or regular drops now. I also try and do the ricebag heat. I was told not to do the lid scrubs at this time.

My dry has progressed over about a 2 year period of time. I used to be able to wear contacts (gas perms) for over 30 years. I stopped wearing them 2 years ago. Now my dry eye is so severe that going out into a windy day or in a store with air that is circulating is painful. The only place I find some relieve is in a hot shower. My eyes (mostly the right one) are painful at night when I go to sleep too. I also do work on a computer and I know that doesn't help matters much.

Monday, I had Eagle plugs put in. The doc said I could do Restasis, but it would take up to 12 weeks to notice any improvement and I said I needed help now. So the plugs went in, but I haven't noticed any big improve yet. In fact, I was back at the doctor's office yesterday because I didn't know if the plug was hitting an area of my eye and irritating it. He said it wasn't and the plugs looked fine. He gave me a prescription for a weak steriod drop to help with inflammation. He had mentioned that I had some abrasions or ulcerations that were noted by the other doc, but they seemed to have cleared up yesterday.

Other occular problems are I am very nearsighted and I have had a retinal detachment with a scleral buckle on one eye. The other eye was treated with cryosurgery. The eye with the buckle is more sensitive to pain.

This is a brief synopsis of my situation and my questions are these:
    1. Is it normal to feel some more discomfort/pain while getting used to the plugs?
    2. How long until you know they are working for sure?
    3. Has anyone used steriod drops to help with inflammation?
    4. Can this become more managable?
    5. Help for sleep?
    6. Also do some people find gel drops to be more irritating than helpful? I had been using the gel because I thought it would be more lubricating, but I am not sure that is the case. I purchased regular Theratears in the vials yesterday and will see how that works. It seems strange that being in an extremely humid space like a shower is more comforting that using eye drops.

Thank you!

First, welcome! I do not have the same type of plugs that you do, but I do have plugs and have been dealing with DES for over a year now. I have tried Restasis, could not tolerate it. In answer to your questions, this is just in my own experience:

1. Is it normal to feel some more discomfort/pain while getting used to the plugs?

I felt some discomfort/plug awareness for a couple of weeks after getting my plugs.

For me, my daytime symptoms have become less severe and I find I am using drops less. My night dryness has not changed.

I used steroid drops for about 3 weeks. They felt so good! They are the only thing that has felt that good!

In time, I have learned to manage my DES. I take lots of breaks at work, avoid alcohol and caffeine, and contacts, and wind, and air conditioning, etc.

5. Help for sleep?

I have yet to find anything that makes a significant difference with sleeping. I use Genteal Gel at night and run a humidifier in my bedroom if it is not raining outside.

6. Also do some people find gel drops to be more irritating than helpful? I had been using the gel because I thought it would be more lubricating, but I am not sure that is the case. I purchased regular Theratears in the vials yesterday and will see how that works.

I'm not sure what kind of gel drops you have used. I tried the Theratears gel drops and found them highly irritating. I have been using TheraTears in the vials for a long time and have found nothing as comforting as those. I cannot tolerate the eye ointments so I use GenTeal gel at night. That seems to work the best for me.

It seems strange that being in an extremely humid space like a shower is more comforting that using eye drops.

My favorite place to be is a hot shower! I think it is just a higher concentration of humidity. Drops don't stay in the eye very long, even with plugs.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thank you

Kitty,

Thanks for your reply. Your comments have been helpful. There has been some slight improvement over the past couple of days. I need to get a pair of prescription wrap-around sunglasses for when I am outside. Right now, the wind makes it really hard to take a walk.

I have been just using the Theratears regular for the last few days and they do seem more soothing than the gel, so I think I will stop using that. I also started using a humidifer while I sleep and that seems to make a difference too.

Thanks again for your help.

dryeyes2

Comment

Hello Dryeyes2.
        -------

Yes, it can be. It is not good for the plugs or the tips to be touching your eye, so make sure your dr checks this out. Not everyone has discomfort and you'll have to be your own judge on this, contacting the dr if you're hurting.

Believe it or not, this can take a couple of weeks or more. I know this from first hand experience. It is also possible to feel "better" right away and a few days later, have a letdown. It's best to judge after a month or so how you're doing. Factors including environment, your hormonal activity come into the equation...so it takes a while to judge progress.

Yes, but you cannot take steroid drops for long and make sure your doc is monitoring. The continued use of steroid drops can cause cataracts. It's not a thing you can use whenever your eyes are hollering for a fix.

Yes, and Dryeyezone is full of information. I suggest you take an hour or more and look at subjects that interest you. There is more info here than probably anywhere about dry eyes. More importantly, it's by people with dry eye, not just some doctor giving a lecture. It's what we've tried and used.

5. Help for sleep?

Tranquileyes. It's a mask available on DryEyeZone. It is wonderful at keeping your eyes moist and closed during the night. Check it out.

6. Also do some people find gel drops to be more irritating than helpful? I had been using the gel because I thought it would be more lubricating, but I am not sure that is the case. I purchased regular Theratears in the vials yesterday and will see how that works. It seems strange that being in an extremely humid space like a shower is more comforting that using eye drops.

Actually, the shower is where most people feel the least discomfort! It's the favorite place when you're just plain of ideas. TheraTears should help you.

I can't take more time, because that's what the board is for so we don't have to type this over and over again. All your questions are answered by many people over and over, with their own experiences. Good luck.
        Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi dryeyes2

- I took awhile to get used to them, after trying both temporary and permanent, I now have permanent plugs in the bottom lids only.

I generally took a week or two to benefit from them, my eyes felt less dry and I used drops less

I have had a couple of rounds of steroids to help with inflammation - always use under doctor supervision and I recommend bench marks tests before, during and after steroid use (but I am not a DR).

Yes, I and many others have learnt to deal with and manage their condition as best as possible to make yourself comfortable. Remember what works for you may not work for someone else. You just have to keep experimenting.

5. Help for sleep?
          A bottle of wine. Seriously, I do a heat compress, then I use Tranquil Eyes and Genteal Gel (reapplied during the night if/when I wake), saline on waking.

6. Also do some people find gel drops to be more irritating than helpful?
          I only use Gel at night, I tend to use other less viscous products during the day but this is a personal choice.

Hope this helps and good luck, I hope you find a manageable solution soon.

Cheers
          Ian

Comment

Thank you

Lucy and Ian,

Thank you for your input. It has been almost three weeks since I had my plugs put in. Things seemed to improve a bit until last night when my right plug dislodged. I tried to push it back in since it was only half way out, but later on it just was gone, or so I thought. This morning, I looked in my eye because it felt irritated. I found the plug lodged in my inner eye area. I freaked out, but after talking to the doctor, he said it was like removing a lodged contact lens which I have had lots of previous experience with handling. So it is out. The left one is still in, but I am not sure for how long. The doc says I may need a different size plug and he would like to try Restasis too, so I plan to see him next week for follow up. He said it sounds like my body just rejected these and that can sometimes happen. I am not sure what type he will try next. I don't want the intercanaliar ones. I also know he put the largest size in this past time, so I am not sure how smaller ones will stay in. We shall see.

Anyway, thanks again.
            dryeyes2

Comment

Hi-

I just got my plugs about 2 weeks ago, so I'm also new to the experience. They feel OK--maybe a little irritated sometimes. I have small puncta, and got the Parasol by Odyssey (a visible plug). On their website, they claim to have a "guarantee" that if the plugs fall out in the first 30 days, they will replace them for free. Doesn't include the doctor's fees, but it's something, anyway.

My eyes seem a bit more moist, and a bit less sensitive (to recurring irritation) with the plugs.

I'm going to get my Schirmer score tested in a couple of months, and if it has improved from its current "2-3", then I may consider upper plugs, too.

C66

Comment

Working...
              X