No announcement yet.

New to Dry Eye Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is somewhat logical, but I don't think it's realistic. Using your doctor's notion, then what's the difference if the plugs are done now or later? Either way, applying their theory, plugs will discourage tear production. Since you are desperate today then why not do it now? I say they do all they can to get you more comfortable and worry about the rest as you proceed.

Plugs work for people and are more effective than Restasis, particularly in the short term. Plugs were my first resort. It took some time to figure out what worked for me, but I'm cauterized in all four punctae. It's not an ideal situation for a whole bunch of reasons, but it's the best I can do right now. I wouldn't change this unless a really, really good drug came along.

I'm sorry to be so passionate about this, but I've been getting increasingly angry with the LASIK industry including those who promote it and those who cannot effectively treat their casualties.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hi Donna,

I agree with Diana. Push for the plugs. My lasik clinic also recommened Restasis before plugs, and at the time I didn't know any better. However, when I finally started seeing another doctor (outside the lasik clinic), she was surprised that I did not try plugs first. Restasis can take a while to work, and for alot of us, the side effects can make our eyes even worse. So why mess around with something that might make you even more symptomatic before trying the plugs. Just make sure that your inflammation is under control before you try the plugs, or else it could trap inflammatory material on your eyes and make your symptoms worse. You could start with a 30 day plug...they actually are inserted into your punctum, so you wont have any issues with them scratching your eyes. They are also made of a dissolvable material, so you won't be taking any of the risks that go along with a permanent intracanalicular plug.

My lasik clinic refused to do plugs for free, and at the time I was so emotionally whipped to fight about it. I have good health insurance so they were covered at another doctor anyway. However, had I had the strength to make a huge fuss about it in front of the line of prospective lasik patients, I'm sure they would have appeased me on the spot. So, be pushy about it if you have to! You deserve the best treatment possible from them. Good luck, and I hope you get relief soon.

-Shells

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I would have no hesitation in going back to the clinic if it wasn't for the fact that l am going to Australia in 3 weeks for a month. At the moment l am borderline sanity with my eyes, through carefull eye managment but they are still as dry as a camels backside, l live with that have too. However 4-6 weeks ago l was suicidal with them they were so bad, so they have improved a bit. My question is if l have plugs in f them short term when the plugs dissolve will my eyes go back to what they are now or when they were really really bad, because l don't ever want to go back to that place again. It may happen anyway but l don't want to provoke it especially when l am away. This is scary stuff and l don't know what too do for the best.

Any answers

Donna

Comment

Hi Donna,

I had my first plugs put in Dec./01 just before I travelled to Spain for ten days. At the time I had a condition called RCE (recurrent corneal erosions) that kept me under doctor's care on a weekly basis. I was terrified I would have an erosion or bad eye episodes while away. Our solution was to insert plugs and hope for the best. I don't think I could have endured the trip without plugs. My eyes dripped with reflex tears which annoyed the crap out of me but I did not suffer an erosion while on the trip.

You have an advantage over me. This site is full of effective dry eye travel tips, drops, gadgets and gizmos that long time dry eye sufferers have compiled over the years so that others can more comfortably get on with their lives. Years ago, when I went to Spain, the list of dry eye travel aids and testimonials was a whole lot shorter.

It's just my opinion, but I do not think plugs in the short term will make your dry eye worse. I think they might be insurance that, combined with the dry eye travel tips of your choice, you may be able to keep your eyes as comfortable as possible.
          Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
          X