Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veiny eyes

Hi

I'm 18 and since about September I have had veiny eyes. I went on a computer gaming binge where I would get up early and play through into the early hours for about a week and when I finished I noticed a couple of big ugly veins in my eye and I knew that they were there to stay...
    They have been steadily getting veinier since then, and I have been trying to find a way to slow down the process. Now they burn all the time. When I wake up in the morning they are difficult to open and completely bloodshot

My doctor told me they were completely normal and there is nothing that can be done, but I still hope the wonders of modern medicine can help me.

I have been using lubricating eyedrops (Optrex Dry Eyes & Vital Eyes Lubricating) in excess recently, and I just read that benzalkonium chloride is put into some of them and can damage my eyes? I wonder if in my haste to lessen the problem I have actually caused more damage to my eyes.

So my questions to you would be:
    Have any of you suffered with veiny eyes?
    Could I have damaged my eyes with reckless use of eyedrops, and is it permanent?

thanks

Bob

Your questions are a little difficult to answer. None of us can advise you about the permanency or potential damage you may have caused.

What I can say is that unless you were using the drops extensively, I think there is a very real possibility that you will be fine.

Use some artificial tears that are preservative free or get some from this website and see how you go.

Get some quality sleep (put that game controller in the bin, or at least ration it), hydrate your body and blink normally (sitting in front of a computer game is going to disrupt your blinking pattern and your eyes will dry out due to lack of proper lubrication).

In the UK, some of the Optrex products do contain BAK, so you may want to have a look for some alternatives.

You could also try a gel of a night to see if that helps with the morning dryness.

You may want to try some warm compresses - work for some not for others, search the BB for "Rice Baggie" or "Rice Baggy".

It is early days and it is most likely that this is a temporary glitch for you.
    I wish you well
    Ian

Comment

I am a newbie myself, but what comes to mind is seeing another doctor, esp. if you did not see an ophthalmologist before.

Comment

Veiny eyes

I have the same situation. I started developing the red veins after doing lots of stuff on the computer. I was 29 at the time. I have found nothing to make the veins go away after they appear. I have been to 3 opthalmologist, all with different reasons for the eye veins, but no cure. All have said artifical tears and Restasis. I was on Restasis for awhile, then stopped and the veins really started to appear. I went back on Restasis and I think it slow the progression.
        After about 2 years, I started developing redness on my face and was diagonsed with Rosacea. I could be possible that you have Rosacea and are just having the eye symptoms first.

Comment

Hi Bob

I have a similar tale to yours - and I'm a gamer also. All I can say is try to read up as much as possible yourself and become an expert. Only then will you be able to try things to help your eyes.

I need to use a computer for work and want to use my computer / games console for 'play' and am struggling at the moment - I ration the gaming big time (not good!)

Look after your glazballs m8 - they are the only ones you have!

Cheers

Ell
          The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Working...
          X