Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello & a question

hi

im 17 and about 2 weeks ago i went asleep with a fan pointed in my face. when i woke up my eyes was red so i used clear eyes which didnt work, i asked my mother to take me to the eye doctor and she did about 5 days later but i still used clear eyes hoping to take the redness out. on june 25 i went to the eye doctor and he told me i had dry eyes( because of climate) and he gave me systane(which i have been using since) my eyes are alittle better but they are still red but they are not irritated and they dont burn the only thing wrong is they are red.

i have three question, are my eyes still being red a problem for using systane for almost two weeks?

could using clear eyes for five days cause me to have damage in the eye?

and with dry eyes are my eyes always going to be red or only sometimes?

Yes using clear eye can damage your eyes after using it for 5 days. This treatment constricts blood vessels in the eye to reduce red - long use can damage the eye because of this. 5 days is not particularly long term so the damage is likely to heal quite soon.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by MVeyes
      i have three question, are my eyes still being red a problem for using systane for almost two weeks?
      I don't quite understand what you're asking? Do you mean could the Systane be causing it, or do you mean should it have cleared up by now?

could using clear eyes for five days cause me to have damage in the eye?
      Clear Eyes is a vasoconstrictor. Vasoconstrictors have something called a "rebound effect" where if you keep using them you get MORE, not less, red. You should not have any long term damage from only 5 days though your eyes may stay red for awhile. It sounds like your eyes were already a little vulnerable and unfortunately when they were dried out from the fan you used exactly the wrong thing (not your fault though) so they may be red for awhile but should recover fine.

Did the doctor say how long it might take? If you don't see some progress pretty soon I'd go see him again. Not everyone does well on the same eyedrops. Are yours the bottled kind or the little individual vials (which are preservative free)?

dry eyes are my eyes always going to be red or only sometimes?
      Many people have dry eyes with no redness at all. It depends on the degree and type.

Make sure to wear sunglasses as much as possible. You might want to try warm compresses in the morning and evening in case it helps (warm wet washcloth over the eyes).
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
        I don't quite understand what you're asking? Do you mean could the Systane be causing it, or do you mean should it have cleared up by now?

Clear Eyes is a vasoconstrictor. Vasoconstrictors have something called a "rebound effect" where if you keep using them you get MORE, not less, red. You should not have any long term damage from only 5 days though your eyes may stay red for awhile. It sounds like your eyes were already a little vulnerable and unfortunately when they were dried out from the fan you used exactly the wrong thing (not your fault though) so they may be red for awhile but should recover fine.

Did the doctor say how long it might take? If you don't see some progress pretty soon I'd go see him again. Not everyone does well on the same eyedrops. Are yours the bottled kind or the little individual vials (which are preservative free)?

Many people have dry eyes with no redness at all. It depends on the degree and type.

Make sure to wear sunglasses as much as possible. You might want to try warm compresses in the morning and evening in case it helps (warm wet washcloth over the eyes).

thanks for taking time to give me answers. oh yes should it have cleared up by now?

Comment

Hey

I found to reduce my redness it is the best to use cold packs on your eyes, this helps to restrict the blood vessels.

I also found that my red eyes have decreased with time but when the air is really dry my eyes go red too.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X