Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Eyes for 30 years - now finally finding some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes for 30 years - now finally finding some help!

Hi all - Susan here (suemom). It seems to me that I have had dry uncomfortable eyes all my life - at least for the last 30 years. That's when I went to the first opthamologist and he did the "litmus paper" test - I forget the technical name for it...he put a little piece of litmus paper in the corner of my eye and left the room for about five minutes - very uncomfortable. When he returned, he said that I had the dryest eyes he had seen....BUT had no suggestions other than the usual over the counter eyedrops, which at that time consisted of maybe one or two brands. Needless to say they did not help at all. I was only 22 at the time. Now of course, there are so many brands of artificial tears out there, it would seem to me that there are very many of us out there - maybe not with such debilitating issues, but nonetheless, I think our lifestyles these days lend itself to dry eyes in general.

Back to my point - I have tried every single over the counter drop for dry eyes, including the night time ointment types. I can honestly say that for whatever reason ALL the over the counter drops including the single vial non preservative types, made my sore dry eyes worse. I'm sure that is not the case for everyone out there, but I found that absolutely nothing worked. I have been to quite a few opthamologists over the years, all without the ability to offer much assistance other than to recommend the same old eye drops, instructions for compresses etc.

After doing much research on this subject (thus making my eyes even more dry and sore from using the computer so much) I found the website for Restasis. I went to my doctor and found out the it is only available in the U.S. at the moment, and I live in Canada. My doctor sent me to an opthomologist which he knows of who has a special "dispensation" for Restasis here in Canada for certain patients with chronic and very problematic dry eyes. I have now been using the Restasis for about two months, and have been back to the dispensing opthamologist who tells me that my tear film is much more stable and is not breaking up and disappearing nearly as fast as it was when she first examined me. That is very good news to me, I can tell you, as things were getting worse the older I get, and I was worried about damaging the surface of my eyes which opens up a whole new can of worms!

The instructions on the Restasis are that you must discard the remainder of the little vial when you have used it once. Due to the cost, I couldn't bring myself to do that, as I found that there was about three days worth in those little vials, and I would keep the vial in a little prescription bottle which was sterile. I had no problems doing that, so the next time I saw the opthamologist I pinned her down regarding the instructions to discard the vials after the one use. She said that it was probably the Allergan company covering their butts in the event of some patients having such trouble instilling eyedrops that they would contaminate the end of the dropper and open the possibility of an eye infection. She also said that in reality, the opened vial should last for a good week before starting to "break down". That puts a whole new slant on Restasis for me, since I have no trouble instilling eyedrops without touching the end of the dropper to my eye (or anything else) after all these years of using useless eyedrops. It makes the Restasis affordable now, since a box of 30 vials will last me al least two months, likely more, instead of one month ( the cost is about $100.00 per box of 30 vials). Now I'm not saying that this is gospel, but just telling everyone that this has worked for me without compromising the effect of the Restasis, and passing on the comments of my opthamologist.

Now about using the Restasis.......I put the drop into each eye, put my head far forward so that the drops won't drain out of my eye drainage passages, and stay like that for 3 minutes. It's amazing how long three minutes can be, but I am finding that it is worth it. The consensus on the chat sites regarding the success of Restasis is about 15 - 20%, but I wonder how many people really take the time to do the instilling and waiting the 3 minutes - that may account for some of the failure rate. Apparently the reason for the three minutes is that the longer the Restasis comes into contact with the eye surface, the better the result. It is an antibiotic drop, after all, and must be in contact with the subject in order to work. It is not systemic, so once it drains out of the eye, only a trace remains to keep working on the problem.

My eyes are still dry, but not nearly as bad, and not as sore and red looking all the time. People used to look at me sympathetically, I would imagine that they thought I had problems and had a good cry recently. Well, I'm going to keep on with the Restasis, it is the only thing that has made any kind of difference to my eyes. My eyes sometimes sting a bit afterwards, especially at night when my eyes are tired anyway, but it's well worth it, compared to stinging and sore all the time.

Hope this helps others, and good luck everyone! sue

Originally posted by suemom
    It is an antibiotic drop, after all, and must be in contact with the subject in order to work.
    Welcome. I am happy to hear that the Restasis seems to be working for you. No offense intended, but Restasis is NOT an antibiotic. It contains cyclosporine. Cyclosporine is an immunosupressant that may have anit-inflammatory effects when instilled in the eye.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi Suemom
      Thanks for writing in
      Great news to hear of your success at last
      Thanks for telling us how to retain a drug in drop form in the eyes - your method makes a lot of sense
      Also good to know that restasis single vials can be used and kept for a day or two .I suppose that applies to all single vial drops.
      I'm interested as i may be trying doxycillen drops in the future
      Keep us posted how you are doing
      Stella

Comment

Sorry for misinformation about antibiotic...

Hi again - Sorry for misinforming about Restasis containing an antibiotic - I was going by the information a family doctor gave me, not the opthomologist. I've looked up cyclosporin, and it makes sense in my case that it is working well, since I have also been diagnosed with unspecific autoimmune problems - this is likely the underlying cause of my dry eyes in the first place. I'm so relieved that this may actually work - I am a bit worried about any side effects for long term use. Apparently I will need to use the drops indefinitely. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by suemom
          Hi again - Sorry for misinforming about Restasis containing an antibiotic - I was going by the information a family doctor gave me, not the opthomologist. I've looked up cyclosporin, and it makes sense in my case that it is working well, since I have also been diagnosed with unspecific autoimmune problems - this is likely the underlying cause of my dry eyes in the first place. I'm so relieved that this may actually work - I am a bit worried about any side effects for long term use. Apparently I will need to use the drops indefinitely. Sue
          No problem. I sure hope it is your ophthalmologist that is prescribing your Restasis!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi

Hi,
            I've been using Restasis since 9 or 10 months. I'm using a vial twice. In the night I open a new vial and in the morning, (10 hours later) I use that vial again.
            In the first 3 months, I feel my eyes get more tears and less inflammation. But after 7 months, I dont get any progress, inflammations come back sometimes. But I know Restasis help only in long period of time, so I will be more patient and keep on using it.

Comment

SueMom,

That is wonderful that after all these years of no help, the Restasis is working for you. I share the same concerns about long-term effects, however, I would not give up my Restasis unless I absolutely had too as it has so greatly helped me out too! Welcome to our family!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks to you who have been so welcoming to a newcomer - I appreciate it. It is great to have found this site with people who understand what it is like to have dry,red, sore eyes, and also to be finding some additional help here. I have just ordered some drops and pink goggle/glasses off the site to wear while driving - I find that the air conditioning/heat blowing in the car is deadly to my dry eyes. I will pass on my results with the drops I've ordered off the site once I get them - I'm looking forward to trying something new - you never know! Sue

Comment

Thanks for your concern

Originally posted by kitty
                  No problem. I sure hope it is your ophthalmologist that is prescribing your Restasis!

Thanks for your concern - it is!

Comment

Working...
                  X