Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies / Dry Eyes / Red Eyes

Hello:

I am new to the board. I am dealing with severe allergies, dry eyes, red eyes
    and meibomian gland (SP?) problems. The goal is to get the allergies under control first and deal with the other symptoms later. Any suggestions from anyone with similar problems and results ?

Thanks,
    S

Hi,

As someone with similar set of problems, i.e., allergies and eye issues (plus a bonus condition of asthma) and diagnosed with MGD and blepharitis, I think addressing allergies is a good place to start. That way, assuming you can by some means limit your reaction to certain core allergens, you're at least dealing with causes vs. the array of symptoms. I've done it bass-ackwards and am now, after years of red eyes, etc. just getting around to allergies.

The trick with allergies seems to be getting accurate tests that identify the big triggers, e.g., prick test, and then using whatever mix of drugs - blockers, antihistamines, etc., environmental management - get rid of the rugs, get rid of the cats, etc., and/or immunotherapy that works for you. I've just started immunotherapy (last week) and, altho am hopeful, know that this can take up 18 months to work. In fact, it may never work. But it's worth a try.

I wish you every success in dealing with your allergies and other issues.

Comment

Immunotherapy

What is immunotherapy ?
      How does it work ?

Comment

Whoops, sorry, in the world of allergies it's the same thing as allergy shots. Having identified a few key triggers, in my case cat dander and dust mites, your allergist develops a targeted serum that slowly, via a long series of injections builds up your immunity and desensitizes you to those specific allergens. Altho it's known to have some positive effect for most people, there are some - I've seen from 20 - 30% - who will not benefit. It can take anywhere from 3 to 18 months to take effect. My hope is that this will eventually help my eyes, lungs and allergies.

That's my layman's definition. If you search the web with <immunotherapy + allergies> (there are other types of immunotherapy), you can learn more

Best,

Comment

William53, I am glad you gave Ria the short version of "allergies/shots etc."! It was very good! I want to add a little bit (alot) about allergies just for my two cents. It isn't much help to you, or Ria, for sure.

I recently stopped allergy shots after something like 30 years on the darn things. I did not have dry eyes when I started the shots (want to make that clear). It's been so long ago, I almost forget what they were for...sinus...allergy to grass, trees etc.

Since being DX with Sjogrens about a year ago, I've upped my medications a whole bunch. Good thing is that they're making me feel better. I decided something had to go. I weaned off the shots for a couple of months and didn't notice a difference in anything. I was afraid my eyes would maybe be worse, but that isn't the case. I think anyone taking on allergy tests and shots should be aware this is a long term project. (As you said.) If you think you can start and "see what happens..." chances you'll not stay with it long enough to see if it really will help. Sort of like using Restasis.

If one can't be committed to the allergy therapy long-term because of money, time, obligations, impatience etc, it may not be worth starting it. You can always hope you're not allergic and be tested to find out. But this is a long haul and can give good results.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

FYI, I did the allergy therapy shots for a couple of years (twice weekly, then once weekly) and started to have anaphylactic reactions once I would leave the doctor’s office (after waiting the customary 20 minutes from the time the shots were administered). My throat would start swelling and I would take some allergy pills which would kick in. I spoke with the nurse and she told me to start taking Benedryl right before arriving for my shots which would help. I thought this was kind of dangerous and spoke to the nurse some more. She spoke with my doctor and suggested they cut back on my plan so that I would not have this severe reaction and he was angered and told her basically that this was THE PLAN he had set forth for me and that HE WAS THE DOCTOR, NOT HER, and ESPECIALLY NOT HIS PATIENT!!!). I actually overheard this conversation taking place. I left there and never went back. I went to another allergy dr. who poised the question “if you were having such severe reactions to the shots, why were you talking them?” GOOD QUESTION! So I stopped and have never started back up. I take an Allegra or Zyrtec once and awhile, but not often. I do want to say that the shots did help alleviate my allergies to some extent so I do think they can be worthwhile! Sorry...I’ll get off my soapbox now!

Comment

red eyes

Williams53:

What have done for red eyes ?

Comment

Regarding addressing red eyes, I agree addressing allergies first is a good start. Also I keep my eyes as clean as possible and use UNISOL non-preservative saline rinse (right now twice daily), plus once daily, take q-tip and use the UNISOL to clean (very gently) the eyelid margins. As far as how my red eyes are doing, well not so great. So I'm looking forward to hearing other peoples input!!

Comment

Judy: good point on bad reactions. In the many years of taking shots, I never once had a bad reaction--so I was thinking more in terms of long commitment. I occasionally hears others in the office who were having a reaction to the shots, as they always make you wait 20 minutes after just in case. I wish my luck could have been the same in lasik, no bad reactions.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I wish so for your sake also, Lucy.....

Comment

rla - regarding red eyes, I'm in the second week of a 3 - 18 month program. I'll report back when/if I see progress of any kind, including eye condition.

Best,

Comment

Working...
                      X