New to this Great site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this Great site

Hello to all. I’m new to the site and find my heart saddened by some of the member problems. I’m retired and in my late fifties. Even though I experience the vision and constant doctor visits, I still consider myself lucky to drive and enjoy so many wonderful God given gifts. So many of you are so young and severe! At the Clev Clinic I had Lasik, AK and other surgeries. I’m left with corneal ectesia (irreg astig). I had made from a firm in the west specialty rigid gas permeable contact lenses and wear Rx glasses daily. I use a non Rx soft contact lens to help with the comfort level in my left eye which is placed under the scleral lens. I can only wear my left soft/ hard contact in my left eye about six hours (or less) each day. They start to burn, sting and feel gritty. Often I can still continue to wear my right scleral lens and keep my glasses on. If I use only prescription glasses, everything is blurry and my acuity is distorted. I need both contacts and glasses. My main problems in both eyes – stinging, burning and often feeling like sand is in my eyes. I use all different treatments- Blink, Refresh Liquigel, Blink & Clean, Replenish, saline solution, etc. I’ve tried many different brands. In the morning I use OCuSoft Lid scrub. For my soft lens, I use Opti-Free Replenish . . . For my hard lens, I alternate between Optimum by Lobob, regular Boston, and Boston Simplus. My eyes seem to get sensitive (slight burning) to the products (this is why I alternate). I wish to wear my lenses longer but the uncomfortable feeling is just too much to overcome! I’m not overweight but have type II diabetes and hypercholesterolemia. At most I eat healthy meals and snacks. I take meds for my diabetes and cholesterol. I’m not a new comer to medicine . . . I was in the medical field for thirty-four years before retiring. Any help or suggestions wanted! I have read so many of your comments and will try. Thanks to all!

Welcome.

Hi, Gerry1.

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. It sounds like you are pretty pro-active in getting them under control. I'd recommend reading how Rebecca uses Dr. Holly's various drops with her scleral lenses. The drops really help an uneven epithelium and are worth a try. I do not wear sclerals, but I do have problems with my corneal, and the drops help a lot. If you have dryness problems at night, do you use a mask or goggles?

--Liz

Comment

I don't have answers for you, but just wanted to lend a comforting hand from a parent of a 3 year old with eye "issues", who is also a patient a the Cleveland Clinic/Cole Eye Institute.

Comment

Working...
      X