Hi All New with Lots of Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All New with Lots of Q's

July 1st ophthalmologist diagnosed my right eye as Age Related Dry Eye and told me to use non-preservative eye drops. Anyone else have this problem in one eye?

Have you found an eye drop that works? What do you do for the occasional pain of the 'large hair sensation' and watering eye?

I have been unable to get my optometrist or ophthalmologist to prescribe stronger glasses for blurry vision reading and distance problem, is this normal? Does the blurry vision correct itself?

Hi Jonabelle22 and welcome to Dry Eye Talk!

July 1st ophthalmologist diagnosed my right eye as Age Related Dry Eye and told me to use non-preservative eye drops. Anyone else have this problem in one eye?
    Both of my eyes are dry but my left is more troublesome than my right. I'm sure part of my dry eye problems are age-related but it was after my LASIK that it got worse.

Have you found an eye drop that works? What do you do for the occasional pain of the 'large hair sensation' and watering eye?
    NutraTear, Dwelle and Dakrina lubricant eye drops have given me the best and most consistent relief from dry eye. I've been using them for over three years. You'll find information and posts from other 'users' on this bulletin board and on the main website.

The 'large hair sensation' is called 'foreign body sensation' and is a common symptom of dry eye. For me, the foreign body sensation is less of a problem first thing in the morning. As the day goes on my eyes get drier and the discomfort grows. I use a lot of comfort measures to relieve it (or at least attempt to). A warm compress, resting my eyes, a cool washcloth, more frequent use of drops (hourly)...basically whatever works.

I have been unable to get my optometrist or ophthalmologist to prescribe stronger glasses for blurry vision reading and distance problem, is this normal?
    Have you asked them why? I can take a few guesses but that's all they are - guesses. Watery eyes (epiphora-another dry eye symtpom) will blur your vision. The location of the 'dry spots' on your eyes can also affect vision. My dry spots are smack dab in my central vision and it's like trying to see through a window screen. Keeping my eyes lubricated helps. A new glasses prescription wouldn't.
    Does the blurry vision correct itself?
    If your vision problems are due to dry eye then treating the dry eye may help and it sounds like that's what your doctors' advice is at this time: start out with artificial tears and see how you do.
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jonabelle22
      I have been unable to get my optometrist or ophthalmologist to prescribe stronger glasses for blurry vision reading and distance problem, is this normal? Does the blurry vision correct itself?
      Jonabelle,

When you are in the doctor's office and doing a refraction (the "better 1, better 2" type test looking at the eyechart through various lenses) are you able to get better vision through any of those lenses than you have with your current prescription?

Have your doctors talked to you at all about cataracts? Or do you have any other eye conditions besides dry eye?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Cindy and Rebecca for your help

I will have to try the NutraTear, Dwelle and Dakrina drops. The ones I have tried so far, Refresh Liquigel, Visine Pure Tears, GenTeal, and Systane have given some relief. Also I have been rotating between different kinds of drops during the day as some seem too strong to use alone.

The RX I got from the ophthalmologist was for a stronger right lens. My right eye is the problem. Anyway, I am starting to get used to my new goofy vision.

Comment

Working...
        X