Desperate for Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate for Details

Hello! I am a person who works with detailed figures and who has had dry eye problems off and on for about 15 years since I got a piece of metal in one eye. I think it was just a coinsidence that it started then. I believe my father had the same problem and so does my sister. Many times in the past, I have thought I had this problem solved. However, something seems to push me over the line every few weeks. The air has really been dry around here since Katrina brought the last little shower. The mold is heavy and the wind is blowing.

I had major surgery on my arm for a bad accident two and a half years ago. I guess the meds I had to take created more dry eyes because I got 4 torn corneas while on the meds! I probably don't need to tell most of you how painful that it! I have stopped those meds. However, I have severe allergies to mold. I have been desperately trying to balance the medicine I need for my allergies against my dry eyes because the mold count is so high. Right now, I am just trying to use nose spray. I have to ask myself whether I want to see, breath when I lie down or think without an awful headache.

Earlier this week, I woke up with one eye very red and almost sealed shut. I used Lotemax for 3 days. The eye has cleared up. However, my eyes have been so dry for 2 weeks that I haven't been able to get all of my work done. I have had to make myself cry to get my eyes wet enough to see to drive! Right now, I am just letting my nose stay stuffy most of the time and staying inside. I can see right now.

Yes, I have been under a doctor's care about this over the last 15 years. I have 3 plugs in my 4 tearducts. My sister has a similar problem and uses Restasis. However, it doesn't seem to help me and neither one of us has insurance right now. I have also used Lotemax, Alrex, Systane and Genteal Eye drops. I was using Genteal Eye Gel at night. However, the warehouses are out until October and the other gels don't work.

I just found this site while I was looking for the eye gel. I will read some of the posts on here for help. If there is anything someone can suggest, I am open. I will help if I can. Thanks.

I guess I am invisible here. Bye and best luck to all.

Comment

Dear LeeApp,

I am sorry if you felt that you were being ignored. I'm sure you'll appreciate that's no one's intention. There is an ebb and flow on bulletin boards that sometimes just defies explanation or prediction. For our part as hosts (well, hostesses ) although we try to help facilitate discussion and contribute to it where we can, we don't necessarily take upon ourselves the personal responsibility of seeing that every post is replied to. Trying to put myself in your shoes, yes, I'm sure I'd feel a little uncomfortable if I posted in a welcome center and didn't get a reply. However at the same time, when I see that someone seems to be actively posting in other threads, I kind of assume that they have already made themselves at home (exactly as we hope everyone who visits will). Anyway, your post was a useful reminder to me to check the Welcome Forum more often to see if there are any posts getting lonely here.

Now, back to your first post...

Originally posted by LeeApp
      However, something seems to push me over the line every few weeks. The air has really been dry around here since Katrina brought the last little shower. The mold is heavy and the wind is blowing.
      That'll sure do it. I think that many of us are uncomfortable when the season is changing, too. - A cycle is a tough thing to deal with, though just recognising it is a good step towards trying to find ways to manage it (and anticipate it).

I had major surgery on my arm for a bad accident two and a half years ago. I guess the meds I had to take created more dry eyes because I got 4 torn corneas while on the meds! I probably don't need to tell most of you how painful that it! I have stopped those meds.
      Ouch. If you're willing it would be great if you could mention what meds they were. Enquiring minds of dry eye patients want to know...

I hope that the information on the main site (such as Dry Eye FAQ), as well as the discussions here, may be useful to you. I don't know off the top of my head the content of your other posts but you don't mention here anything about treatments for improving meibomian gland function, such as supplements, hot compresses etc. Also, many people find protective eyewear useful particularly during flare-ups or extended hours in a challenging environment.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

by LeeApp:
        I guess I am invisible here.
        Nope. Not even close . Right after you made your first post I made a mental note of how long you have been dealing with dry eye (quite possibly longer than most on this board), that you seemed to take to the board like a duck to water and that I found your post really interesting.

Please accept my apology for not greeting you cordially at the door. We're glad you took the time to sign up, sign in and start posting!

About the nighttime gel - a lot of us have found that Dwelle (available in the Dry Eye Zone shop) does a nice job for nighttime use.
        Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

What about non-prescription soft lenses? I've used Focus Night and Day. They hold moisture well and are easily rehydrated by using drops.

Comment

Welcome

Hello Im sorry your are suffering so bad and let me say Welcome to The DryEye website. Im Delilah and I suffer from MGD and severe Lattice Degeneration, I suffer from unsual stringy mucus things I pull out day and night out of my eyes and not too mention dry eye as well. I found that I really love the NutraTear they sell on this site, the red color is a little frightfull at first but it helps put moisture in my eyes. Im so sorry you suffer so badly, it seems like you just want to end it sometimes huh? I know I have had thought about it but I know that someday they will find a cure for our horrible problems with our eyes. Maybe that piece of metal messed up your Meibioman glands? I think that a horrible eye infection I had a couple of years ago caused this MGD to start, I don't know, but welcome and Im sorry I didn't welcome you any sooner. Delilah

Comment

Working...
            X