Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!

Hi,
    I had Lasik done in 2000 after I was told I was a perfect candidate. Turns out I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been told they were a perfect candidate. Through the years I've learned and am still learning about Lasik and dry eye. Should have done more research before I had it done! They never tell you they are cutting the cilliary nerves in your eyes and that it takes about 6 to 12 months for the break to heal and for normal sensation and lubrication to mostly return. I also had to seek pschiatric help and get medication for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It's been a crazy ride and has completely changed my life.

Hello

Hi
    How are you now? I had LASIK done in 2004 and was also told i was a good candidate, even though I questioned surgeon about dry eye as i could not wear contacts. I am hoping my eyes will get a bit better still, i've heard it can take over 5 years to get back to normal.
    I totally understand the psychological impact you mention, it can be torture just doing simple things like shoping (air con), driving (air con), restaurants etc etc so its not surprising how we become when pain (torture) can be around the corner and trying to make other non dry eye sufferer people understand the discomfort without looking like we are hypochondriacs or something. Stressful! But this is why this forum is good as we have support here and can feel a little more normal (not in the minority) amongst us dry eye sufferers. Especially as post LASIK dry eye is different again with other worries and regrets ( i also have poor vision in my right eye and night vision problems).
    So want to say i'm sorry to hear of your suffering but hope you find comfort from this site. If you are still suffering dry eye there is a lot of tips here.
    Best Wishes
    C

Comment

L.S., I had my Lasik in Jan '00 and back then, there were no warnings like now about the surgery causing dry eye. My doctor claimed he didn't know it "back then." There wasn't much to research "back then" either, so it probably wouldn't have mattered. It took people like "us" who had devestating results to holler about it and in this way reach out to others just having the surgery and finding out they weren't alone.

If Rebecca had not had a bad outcome, there would be no DEZ or LaserMyEye. In 2000, we were all "excellent candidates." Please ease up on yourself. It isn't your fault in any way. I think anyone with dry eye for a year or more has had their life change dramatically. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks

Thank you both for your kindness and understanding. I pretty much just live with it now. I really messed up and stopped doing all my therapy when I though I was cured a few years ago. What a mistake. I had a mega relapse that really took me down to depths I have no desire to visit ever again. I now accept that I have to live with and do therapy for my condition for the rest of my life.

God Bless both of you and have a very nice weekend

Comment

Working...
        X