No announcement yet.

New member - contacts recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - contacts recommendations?

Hi everyone -
    I have been suffering from dry eyes for the past 5 years (I'm 35) and after I found this web site, I have almost been relieved that there are others out there that suffer from the same problems. as I have found that if you don't have the condition, you don't understand how hard it sometimes is to deal with it.
    For the past few years, my eye problem has worsened which has me now wearing glasses all the time. For someone who has 3 small boys under the age of 3 1/2 who like to play rough (and also someone who is a little vain and loved wearing contacts!), I wanted to ask if anyone has had any success with wearing daily contact lenses and can recommend a brand that is geared towards chronic dry eyes. I'm not looking to wear contacts every day (I've finally come to accept this fact) but it would be nice for special occasions that I could wear contacts and not feel like I have a piece of plastic stuck to my eyeballs!! I currently use Acuve daily disposables but my eyes are so sensitive and dry that within an hour they hurt.

I look forward to participating with my shared successes/challenges!!

Hi khasler and welcome! In another thread you posted a recipe for a breakfast shake that includes flaxseed oil. That kind of stuff is right up my alley so thanks for contributing that.

Your five years with dry eye trumps me . I haven't hit the five year mark quite yet. As far as contacts go...I was not successful but the two kinds that I tried were Focus Night & Day and ProClear. Some people have had success with them.

My greatest relief has been from using the artificial tear products that are available in the Dry Eye Zone shop. Dwelle, Dakrina and Nutratear. I've used them all since Feb. '03. It's possible that you might find contacts more comfortable with a longer wearing time with one of these products. For instance, one of my friends uses Dakrina about 10-15 minutes prior to plopping her contacts in her eyes and then uses NutraTear as needed during the day.

Glad you found us
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Thanks Cindy for the warm welcome. I hope you like the shake. I have realized a number of ther benefits in drinking this like having more energy, weight loss, and I feel this shake stays with me in the morning and I am not hungry till lunchtime. Also, the banana hides the nasty flavor of the flax seed oil so all you will taste is the great shake flavor that you selected.

I also ordered a sampling of the eye drops that you mentioned so I am anxious to try them. I am using Restatis as well (just started a few months ago) - do you know if there is a conflict with using them in tandem with the other products? My eyes are so sensitive that I am always cautious to use multiple products.

Also - a big thank you to the people on this site who recommended using rice heated in nylon to use for a warm compress. I tried it last night and it worked so much better than what I was using. My doctor told me to stand over the sink with a compress of warm water pressing on my eyes and I have found that my eye lids and below my eyes were getting really dry from all the warm water. The dry heat works so much better!!

If anyone has a good eye cream product that they have had success with to help with the skin around the eyes, I would love to hear of your successes!

Thanks! I was telling my husband how wonderful it is to finally talk to people who actually know what it's like to have your eyes feel so dry!

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by khasler
        I am using Restatis as well (just started a few months ago) - do you know if there is a conflict with using them in tandem with the other products?
        Allergan say that it is OK to use Restasis along with artificial tear products (their own or others). I know many people who are using Restasis and our tears. Leave a gap, though, between putting in any two kinds of eyedrops. Personally I wait at least half an hour.

If anyone has a good eye cream product that they have had success with to help with the skin around the eyes, I would love to hear of your successes!
        My favourite product when having extra dryness problems is Clinique's "Moisture Surge". It's not a cream really, it's more of a gel, but it feels better to me sometimes than the heavier products - feels like I'm giving my skin a nice long drink.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Is that moisturizer the Moisture Surge Eye Gel in the tube or the Moisture Surge cream in the jar?

Comment

The one in the jar. Shows how much I know... didn't even know there WAS one for eyes!!!
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

parchment eye lids

Hi1 I am new to this site and am looking for information about parchment-like eye lids. I was diagnosed with blepharitis , used antibiotic eye drops, lid scrubs and warm compresses but the eyelids are still really bothering me. I am beginning to think I have some kind of dry eye related dermatitis. I found a prescription cream called "Protopic". Does anyone have any experience with it? Many thanks
              Last edited by boehleb; 05-Oct-2005, 19:19. Reason: more words

Comment

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help but maybe someone else will pipe up. I did look up Protopic: http://www.drugs.com/pdr/protopic_ointment.html

The first thing that struck me was that since this is an ointment you might have some migration problems with it since you would be using it on your eyelids. Maybe you should find out from your doctor what would happen if you got some of the ointment in your eye.

Also, this page on AgingEye.net might be helpful. http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/blepharitis.php Scroll down to 'Cosmetic Use and Eyelid Dermatitis'.

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!
                Last edited by Cindy; 06-Oct-2005, 15:58. Reason: I made a boo-boo
                Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

atopic dermatitis of the eyelid

Thanks for your help. The aging eye web site gave me the idea for the Protopic but I am curious if others have used it. I've scanned several bulletin boards but can't seem to find a user. Anyway, thanks again.
                  Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X