Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy, recent RCE and learning more every day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allergic to Fluorescein ?!

Hello again.

After my two back to back erosions in late August and mid-September, I have been living wonderfully, eyes felt great, normal, and I was comfortable in my routine, always a vial of drops in my pocket, every night Genteal Gel. Really thought I was on the way up.

So I went in for a checkup on 10/15/08, one month out from my last erosion. He always does a fluorescein stain test, with either a fluorescein drop or a fluoresein strip. Only in my left eye. Remember, I only have had trouble with my left eye. Never my right.

He said it looked very good. Healed in, no wrinkles or devitalized tissue. Told me to keep up the good work and that I can go back to my optometrist and only come back if I have another major erosion.

BUT within 4 hours of returning to work, my left eye goes crazy, sandy grit, red bloodshot, watery tears dripping and major foreign object sensation...all the symptoms of a bad erosion, yet I had not been to sleep, I had not had an erosion at all!

So I muscled through the evening, drops galore and it only got worse. Had a hard time sleeping with the stinging pain and clinched eyelids, and by 6am I had decided I would just have my wife drive me to the doc's office and I would call them at 8am for an appt.

He took another look and could not believe how slouched and wrinkled the cornea became within 24 hours. He put on a bandage lens and told me to come back the next morning and if it looks the same or wrose he'll do a keratectomy. Well, he did the most aggressive keratectomy yet, 5th one now, removing 75% of the cornea surface and perforating this area for the first time with about 20 needle holes to promote healing.

I felt immediatey better, but angry that this drop may have been causing an allergic reaction every time I had been to the doc and he had not noticed. Of course, every other time I visited I had already had a recent erosion. This last time was the first time I had been erosion free. I am now 6 days past that checkup and my eye is brillaint, white as the other eye and the cornea healing is just starting to smooth out and feel less tender.

So, anyone out there ever heard of Fluorescein allergies that produce erosion like symptoms? It really felt like my eye had been burned by the fluorescein drops. Within 4 hours it felt just like an erosion episode. Thanks !

Comment

Working...
    X