Restasis use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis use?

I have been recently diagnosed with dry eye syndrome. My doctor put me on Restasis and said that although once it was only possible to use the vial once then toss, now you can use it twice then toss. With only one drop per eye twice a day, I can get 4 applications out of each vial. Is there any harm in doing that? I keep the vial capped in the refrigerator and never touch my eye during application.

Every doctor I have been to (and that is many!) have said you can use the Restasis for several applications-I apply it 4x a day and use the same vial. As long as you throw it out w/in 24 hours and keep the tip clean you will be fine...
    Jenny

Comment

Thanks Jenny! I must ask, why the 24 hour limit on one vial? At one drop 2x a day, my vial lasts more like 36-48 hours. Does the Restasis have an adverse effect after 24 hours? Again, I keep it refrigerated and top on.

Comment

Karen,

I use the same Restasis vial for four applications (one drop in each eye, twice a day, for two days). I have a little holder for the vial. A 30-vial tray lasts me two months.

I do not refrigerate it. Several people have posted in the last week about Restasis, and the consensus seemed to be that refrigeration wasn't harmful but was also not necessary.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Teri, that is exactly what I have been doing with the vial upright in a little "holder". How long have you been using Restasis and how are your results? I have only been on it less than a month. I'm ok with it and I'll be patient but for now I'm not liking the dull color of the whites of my eyes. Have you experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by Teri View Post
            Karen,

I use the same Restasis vial for four applications (one drop in each eye, twice a day, for two days). I have a little holder for the vial. A 30-vial tray lasts me two months.

I do not refrigerate it. Several people have posted in the last week about Restasis, and the consensus seemed to be that refrigeration wasn't harmful but was also not necessary.

Hope that helps.
            The stability of Restasis and such, the effectiveness cannot be maximized if refrigerated.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

i just said 24 hours cause that is what a few of my docs recommended.. i'm sure another day wouldn't hurt esp if you are careful keeping it un contamminated.. i just usually use all mine w/in 24 hours!
              Jenny

Comment

Karen,

I've been on Restasis for about 18 months. I noticed an increase in my tear production within the first two months, and it just grew from there.

It was easy for me to see a difference because pre-Restasis, I couldn't produce any tears. I went to a funeral and sobbed and sobbed but no tears came out. After about six months on Restasis, I could produce loads of tears.

Stick with it a bit longer, especially if you think it's not making your eyes worse to use it. I've noticed that any improvements seem to happen gradually over months (I know: not what you want to hear!).

As for the dull color of the whites of your eyes...I have no idea!

Be patient & keep trying!

Teri
                Last edited by Teri; 18-Oct-2008, 08:55. Reason: forgot to answer her other question

Comment

it's a war even harder than Irap to battle against.

Let's keep it up....

Originally posted by Teri View Post
                  Karen,

I've been on Restasis for about 18 months. I noticed an increase in my tear production within the first two months, and it just grew from there.

It was easy for me to see a difference because pre-Restasis, I couldn't produce any tears. I went to a funeral and sobbed and sobbed but no tears came out. After about six months on Restasis, I could produce loads of tears.

Stick with it a bit longer, especially if you think it's not making your eyes worse to use it. I've noticed that any improvements seem to happen gradually over months (I know: not what you want to hear!).

As for the dull color of the whites of your eyes...I have no idea!

Be patient & keep trying!

Teri

Comment

Working...
                  X