New reader of this dry eye forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New reader of this dry eye forum

I have been doing a lot of research on the subject of dry eye over the past 10 years. It has gotten progressively worse especailly while living in the mid-west. I moved to Virginia about 7 years ago. While reading many of the discussions I had to agree with some of the solutions. In fact, I visited my Opthalmologist yesterday and she liked what I was telling her. I have some ideas which might be of interest that I had not read about yet. They could be out there because I have not read all of the threads. My diagnosis consists of multiple issues. First, I am in my 60's so age related problems immediately apply, however, my twin brother has none of these problems. Since I went through surgical menopause that initiated one problem he would not have. Hormones are important.

Hi, I am back with more info

I no longer take hormone pills but I did have a hormone blood test and it came back OK. Next, I had a face lift 3 years ago. This consisted of forehead and neck lift along with blepharoloplasty. This can cause dry eye just like lasik surgery does. My lower lid was not raised up as far as it should have been and my lower eye area suffers from increased exposure. Also, the Dr. mentioned allergic conjunctivitis. I know I am limited in message size so I will share my routine toward treating my dry eye.

Comment

This is my palliative treatment since there is no cure

This is what works for me: I put olive oil around my eyes in the morning along with a drop of mineral oil in each eye. A while later I put a drop of Opcon-A or Walmart brand eye allergy relief in each eye. This successfully takes away the redness. At night, I use cod liver oil around my eyes. It smells a little fishy but it goes away. In particular, I put it on my eyelids so it is absorbed into my eyes. I think the oil helps lubricate my eyes a little. Also, I put a drop of mineral oil into each eye. Then I spread a little erythromycin ointment along the lashes to reduce the crusting in the morning. This seems to work well.

Comment

Other suggestions for dry eye relief

First of all these are the items that did not work for me: Restatis and Alrex. The Dr. just gave me Acular LS to help tame down inflammation because it is an NSAID type solution versus steroid. I didn't like using a steroid in my eyes because it can increase ocular pressure. I also use Lacriserts if I am going to be somewhere for hours and don't want to worry about eyedrops. These are rod-shaped inserts to help keep the eye lubricated. They do work but unfortunately after five hours they get sticky and become annoying. Adding more eyedrops do not help them and they should be removed. Hope this info. helps. Keep sharing yours because we are all in this thing together, Kindest regards...

Comment

Hi Fairfax Lady-
          Thanks for sharing your tips about dry eye care with us. I am only going to bring out one thing and will let others comment as they might (or not).

This consisted of forehead and neck lift along with blepharoloplasty. This can cause dry eye just like lasik surgery does. My lower lid was not raised up as far as it should have been and my lower eye area suffers from increased exposure
          This is a very important statement. As my dry eye started with Lasik, people should be aware that cosmetic surgery on the eyes can contribute to, or cause dry eye. I'm glad you wrote your regimen. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
          X