Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello :)

Hi,
    I`m a contact lense wearer who has more recently been getting a dry right eye especially and have had blurred vision often (while wearing the contacts) and also been developing the "sleep" stuff developing in the corners of the right eye as well as stinging etc

I had a contact lense check and eye test recently. At first they again picked up on some brown pigmentation at the back of my eyes (retina I think - that was first noticed back in 2002 by another optician). So I did a "zone test" and all I think is relatively okay with that.However, I have also been diagnosed as having MGD - severe MGD in the right eye. Many years ago (around 2001) I was told to use a cotton bud to clean the lids due to having thicker secretions than normal but was never told how this could develop.

So I`m now just starting to trying to manage my MGD. I`m not quite so sure what to do as the optician talked quite quickly and briefly. I actually had to ask them what a "warm compress" was because they just said "you must do warm compresses for the rest of your life."

I`ve now started the warm compresses with a flannel.My life is quite busy but I now must find time to ensure I look after my eyes . I`ve been told to do warm compresses (x times) and lid scrubs (x times) - note than I`m not sure what each x should be. I`m a type of person who likes to know the finer detail and I look to optimise situations , so am now not sure exactly how many times a day I`m supposed to do the compresses and scrubs but I want to find out what the optimum is for me personally. I`m also not sure what the scrubs are for. I thought the MG secretions were on top of the lids near the eyeball but I`ve been told to scrub the eyelash base area which contradicts the MG part of the lid.

So I guess my immediate priorty is finding out how often I need to do the compresses and whether or not I need to do the scrubs on the base of the eye lashes or to simply clean the upper lid area (where the MG oil appears).

One of my concerns is that I am unsure how hot I should have the flannel or water for the compresses. I`m slightly worried about developing thermal cataracts if I have the water/flannel too hot,is this a possibility in the long term?

Hopefully this makes a little sense. Admittedly I`ve just had a glass or two of red wine while typing!! 8-). Other that what I have said, I am currently 35 Male and live in the UK. I like to be told "you`re in good shape" so am a little sad that I`ve now been told to do warm or hot compresses for the rest of my life - sob. It makes me more sad when I see from some websites that MGD occurs more commonly during the age 45+ yet I`m only 35.

Also my optician mentioned that she could tell I use VDU`s a lot just as she diagnosed my MGD. She said that I (and others) just stare at the VDU without blinking often enough. So I assume MGD can be caused by too much VDU usage then?

So, can having the flannel/water too hot cause thermal cataracts? What temp should flannel be at? How often should I do compresses? How often should I do lid scrubs and am I supposed to just scrub the bases as the eyelashes or should I scrub the areas of the lids where the secretions come from (part of the expose lid close to the eyeball).

Take care,
    Darren

HI and welcome,

If you are going to be serious about doing the compresses I would get the "rice baggy" that is for sale in the dry eye store. It retains the heat for a much longer lenght of time and doesn't get wet. I used to use a flannel but it just isn't as effective.

As for the temperature.. for me it can not be anything but warm. I have ocular rosacea and facial rosacea so to hot is bad for me. I'm not sure what everyone else is doing.

As for how many times...I think twice at least. I do three times and I have seen four times come up.

Where to "scrub". I'm not sure I understand your question. I run the q-tip across the top of my lid margin. Where it hits the eye, then I run it over where the lid hits the lashes. That way I think I'm covered. On the top and bottom lid.

I don't think that starring at a sceen causing MGD, but staring and not blinking will cause you to feel the sympoms of your MGD. My Dr. said that many people have MGD but never know as they don't have any pain, but then something happens...age, hormones, Lasik...and then the pain kicks in.

I hope that helps a little.

For everyone it is different, and it is a matter of finding what works for you. Incase you haven't been told you need to take Omega 3 oils, either flaxseed or fish oils to help your eyes. these are also for sale in the dry eye store. This is very important. Also drinking LOTS of water to stay hydrated.

And as for the wine....I guess it depends how bad the pain is, but for me it is out as it dehydrates.

Good luck,

Bernadette
    Last edited by bernmee; 31-Oct-2008, 12:43. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hi

I would have your flannel hot enough so you think it will make a difference, but not too hot so you'll end up harming yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X