Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fluorescent lights are destroying me

Hi there,

I'm new to this site, and to dry eyes in general. My main concern at the moment is the debilitating nausea I experience at work under the fluorescent lighting. The school I work in is dry, filthy ( the carpets have not been cleaned in years, nor have the air conditioners that double as heaters) it's dusty, and moldy. The summer was unbarebly humid, which is when i noticed the smell of mold- but nothing was done about it. This is when I started having symptoms of dry eye, and had my first of 2 corneal abrasions. Nothing will be done about any of the health code violations I've just listed, so i have to adjust myself in order to avoid pure misery for 9 hours a day.

All this to say, protecting my eyes with protective eye wear is my primary concern, so I have ordered the onion goggles! I'm a fashion conscious person- but my health, physical and emotional, will always take precedence over vanity. What can i do about also protecting myself from the lighting? The onion goggles are not tinted, nor can i wear my glasses under them, and I'm not sure it's safe for me to wear contacts again. I have so many questions that are unanswered about contacts and dry eyes...... I need to work out the logistics here. It seems that my photophobia is almost non existent when my eyes are well lubricated out side of work. At work, my eyes get increasingly more and more dry throughout the day, regardless of the drops I use, and there for my sensitivity to the fluorescent lights increases through out the day as well. It's at it worst when the sun goes down, and by the end of the day i feel extremely sick, I have a headache, my eyes are dry and burning out of my head, and I'm depressed and exhausted, and can't wait to get out of there.

I've done a little research on photophobia, and vitamin A supplements as well as lutein are suppose to really help. How much should I take ? I've started taking fish oil supplements, capsules, but not sure what dosage I should be taking either, so I've been taking 2 273 mg a day. I'm doing the hot compresses at night, and I've just ordered the tranquileyes and dwelle drops.

I've seen numerous Eye doctors, but they've been no use, just simply telling me I have dry eyes- not to mention we communicate through a translator- and a lot gets lost in translation. This is a big part of my anxiety, because there are no English speaking eye doctors near me. I even traveled to Tokyo to see a Japanese-English speaking Dr., but he made it seem like
    I was making a big deal out of something so insignificant and small , like dry eyes. He didn't understand, and couldn't help me.

What else can I do ? I am teaching in a foreign country, and am on a year
    contract, which is up at the end of March. Otherwise, I would absolutely quit, but it's not that simple under these circumstances. Any help, or suggestions you have that could make my days a little more peaceful and pain free would be much appreciated.

Thanks for listening,
    Caitlin

Hello Caitlin,

I am sorry to read about your office conditions. It is awful that nothing will be done!

Fluorescent lighting has a different color spectrum than natural light or incandescent light. Old style fluorescents also may buzz or hum - that alone can give me a headache! Here are some links that may help explain: http://www.lightingdesignlab.com/art.../hatefluor.htm
    http://www.topbulb.com/find/cri.asp

I suggest you buy several pairs of cheap sunglasses such as yellow, gray, blue, copper, and also try polarized lenses; and see if any helps with the fluorescent lighting. If any of those work, you could then look into getting moisture chamber/7Eye/WileyX glasses in a similar color.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Working...
    X