New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hello fellow dry eyes sufferers. Who knew there were so many people with this affliction?

Mine started in the spring of this year when I started to feel like there was something in my left eye. This happened only intermittently, at first, gradually happening more often. The optometrist recommended warm compresses and Systane drops a couple of times a day.

When summer arrived, the humidity in my area rose and my problem seemed to be gone. I thought no more about it until around the beginning of November when it was back with a vengeance, in both eyes and much worse. Both eyes feel gritty and very dry. One eyelid twitches sometimes too.

The optometrist described my tears as "parting like the red sea" and prescribed flurometholone drops, four times a day and Refresh Endura, single-dose, recappable, in between. He also said to use lacrilube at night but I think it makes my eyes feel worse in the morning, until it is all eventually out. Anyway, I'm abandoning that and just putting some GenTeal gel drops in before bed. They do have preservatives though, and I'm concerned about that aspect of them.

The most helpful thing I've found is the rice bag idea I read about here. It works so much better than a facecloth and stays warm for a long time. I used mine four times yesterday, including going to bed with it. This morning my eyes felt better than they have in weeks.

I live in an area where winter is extremely dry so I am dreading it. I am semi-retired and work part time in an air conditioned office, in front of a computer all day, which doesn't help either. Luckily, next week I leave for 2 weeks in the Caribbean and am looking forward to some relief.

I'm happy to have stumbled across this forum and have already learned a lot about dry eyes.

Hi, grittyeyes.

It might be helpful for you to review some of the discussions from Dr. Holly's threads on tear-film break-up time and the delicate balance that needs to happen for tear film to act properly. If it does not, it might result in a slight problem with visual acuity, maybe not enough for you to notice but enough for your eyes to notice, hence, the twitching. When I first started with dry eye that also led to recurrent corneal erosions, I, too, experienced twitching and just thought that I might be in need of a new prescription.

You might be helped by Dwelle, which works well to stabilize tear film. It's not that expensive, compared to other OTC drops, so it might be worth at try.

Good luck, and welcome to the DEZ,
    Liz
    Last edited by liz56; 23-Nov-2008, 14:19. Reason: Added a Link

Comment

Thank you, Liz. Is Dwelle available in stores or just online?

Interestingly, I've used the rice bag a few more times today and I have only had to use my Endura drops once all day. I'm cautiously optimistic but I know from recent experience that my eyes can feel good one day and awful the next so I'm reserving judgement.

Comment

Working...
      X