new poster-looking for suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new poster-looking for suggestions

I have been reading this list for awhile; it helps to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this problem.

I have had dry eye symptoms for over a year and haven't found much relief. My symptoms based on the OSDI questionnaire are mild, but my eye discomfort has drastically changed my life. I cannot read like I used to. Reading is the one thing that will make my eyes worse. My symptoms can be better or worse for no apparent reason. It seems so random.

I use the computer a lot, but some days it effects my eyes and other days not so much. The randomness of this is driving me crazy. I have tried several eyes drops but none give more than temporary relief. At one point, eye drops were giving me headaches so I stopped all together. It seems that Flaxseed pills do help. My left eye will bother me more than the right eye at times. When I told the eye doctor, she said she'd never heard of that. All of the eye doctors I've seen have not been helpful; so I gave up. I notice distinct differences in how my eye feels; sometimes my eye feels hot and a cold compress will help (although only temporarily); sometimes they just burn, but no "hotness". Sometimes I'll get a headache from my eyes (different than a tension headache). Ibuprofen sometimes helps, but that too is random. I just started eye drops again; Simalasan. I haven't noticed a difference, but I've only been using them for a few days.

Sometimes my eyelids get very itchy for a few seconds at a time. I try very hard not to rub them.

I tried using a hot compress and that felt good initially, but a little while later it was worse, so I haven't done that again. I use a humidifier in the winter.
    I have had the TBUT test; results vary from normal to <6 depending on the day.

I am going through menopause and feel like this is related to that. I wear glasses and along with my dry eye; I have been having problems getting an eyeglass prescription that I can wear. I have thrown so much money away on glasses I can't wear. I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old and I have never had so many problems getting a new prescription. My prescription is very strong and I have an astigmatism. I'm hoping someone else has had similar symptoms and has found something that helps.

Eye drops I've tried: GenTeal gel; Systane; Refresh; blink, NutraTear, TheraTears, Refresh Liquigel, Tears Naturale Free, Optive and Minidrops Eye therapy.

thank you
    Elaine

Hi Elaine,
    You said you use the computer "a lot." Is this required for work, or is it for pleasure? (Looking for dry eye cures, perhaps. lol). If it's for pleasure, you may want to cut way back on this for awhile. Give your eyes as much rest as possible. Warm compresses twice a day help most people, although it takes awhile to get the glands running again. Good thing is taking Omega 3's.

You might never know what caused your dry eyes, so I think it's not even worthwhile to keep trying. I know it's human nature to want to "know" but most of us don't. The exception is those of us who came by dry eye by the way of Lasik surgery. As far as drops, we find it's highly individual. It sounds like you've tried many drops. Sometimes trying too many drops in a short time gets us all confused, because we don't know which is working.

I'd take the drop you like best and use it exclusively for a month. If you need something more at night, GenTeal Gel is a favorite around here. If you feel that drop isn't doing it for you, then go to another for a month. You might look into wearing an eye mask at night. You can buy an inexpensive one at a drug store. This gives you some ideas to start. Others will come along and add to this. You can't do everything at once. Rest for your eyes is important and can't hurt. Trying something at night can't hurt. Good luck. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I love to read also but when my eyes are really bothering me I will listen to books on tape... They are available at the library and there are even several online places where you can order them through the mail. Similar to netflix but a bit more expensive. As far as other treatments go, there are certainly many options discussed on this forum. Persistence seems to be the key when trying to find what will help relieve your particular condition -- even though it is of course very frustrating. My heart goes out to you!

Comment

May Help Omega 3

My Doctor recommended me to start first by trying to add Omega 3 to my daily supplement plus drinking enough water don't laugh but I see some difference it is less dry my eyes.
        Who Doesn't Want to Feel Younger and Live Longer?
        http://thehealthyway

Comment

Relate,

Would you please remove the advertising from your signature?

Thanks,
          Elizabeth

Comment

I have found that flaxseed pills do help. I use the computer for work and pleasure (family history). When I use the computer less (on weekends) it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has anyone found that their dry eye gets worse when reading; even more so than using the computer.

My dry eye symptoms fluctuate so it's very frustrating trying to figure out what to do AND not do. I wish eye drops helped. Sometimes I think they make it worse.

My 2009 resolution is if I have to live with this the rest of my life; I have to hope that a new doctor or a new treatment will come along that will make day to day things (and reading) tolerable. I have definitely changed what I am willing to tolerate since this started. I also hope that my dry eye problems are directly related to menopause and the problem will lessen or go away as time passes.

I really appreciate this list; the people on it are very generous and kind.

Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X