Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here - Lasik dry eyes

Hi everyone,

I had lasik surgery 5 months ago, and have been regretting it since day one! I've come across this site in the past, and have found it helpful, but I've just decided to post now. Unfortunately when I should have found this site most helpful was the week before my surgery, when I read some of the "dry eye stories". Ofcourse, I thought I was freaking out for nothing, and figured that would NEVER be me. Well, here I am. I apoligize for doing you all a dis-service by not taking your advice the first time around, but I can't go back, so I'm here looking for any further advice you all may have.

Obviously, I am not lucky as far as lasik goes, or I would not be here in the first place, but I will start by saying that as far as complications go, I am probably one of the luckier ones. My dry eye started to be a real problem about 1.5 months post-op. It has been desribed by my surgeon and by another opthomoligist as "moderate". I have some days when I am comfortable, and things feel close to normal, and for that I am increidibly thankful. However, other days, no matter how many drops I use, or compresses I do, I cannot get things under control. It often feels like there is something in my eyes, and my eyelids are often red and inflamed and sore. On extra bad days, my eyes feel gritty every time I blink. I've been told that I have posterior blepharitis, but am still very confused by all of that. Not sure if I had it pre-op, or how bad it is, but I think I am treating it properly. I do warm compresses and eye lids scrubs 2x a day.

I am also using Systane (preservative free) atleast every two hours (more on bad days), taking liquid flax seed oil, HydroEye supplements, and using Restasis. If anyone else has any other advice on things that work well for them, I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or support. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

p.s. I also posted on the D'Eyealogues website. I found the link to this site from there, so I apoligize if anyone is reading my posts twice!

Hi shells,
    I apoligize for doing you all a dis-service by not taking your advice the first time around, but I can't go back, so I'm here looking for any further advice you all may have.
    No need to apologize, first of all. We are all here because we have the same problem. We may (or may not) have gotten to the same place in a different way. Once here, we're all pretty equal. I believe people should stop any guilt feelings before they become imbedded. Not one of us went forward with lasik and thought......"gee, I think I'll wish for dry eyes just for the heck of it." It happens, and it isn't fun, funny or anything but miserable!!!!

My dry eye started to be a real problem about 1.5 months post-op. It has been desribed by my surgeon and by another opthomoligist as "moderate". I have some days when I am comfortable, and things feel close to normal, and for that I am increidibly thankful. However, other days, no matter how many drops I use, or compresses I do, I cannot get things under control. It often feels like there is something in my eyes, and my eyelids are often red and inflamed and sore. On extra bad days, my eyes feel gritty every time I blink. I've been told that I have posterior blepharitis, but am still very confused by all of that. Not sure if I had it pre-op, or how bad it is, but I think I am treating it properly. I do warm compresses and eye lids scrubs 2x a day.
    Your dry eye started at 1.5 months post-op? Mine was also in that timeframe. Some start out immediately with that feeling and often it starts a little later - like ours did. It can even start at a much later date. Most of us have ups and downs in our dry eye cycles. Some days are just better than others. Could be the weather, climate, heat, A/C, allergies, the moon . I often tell people that it's the color of socks they are wearing that day that makes a difference. If you're having a "good eye day" then check out the color of your socks. That has about as much reasoning as anything else we can think of!

I want to emphasize that you are still early in your recovery. Yes, still early. Most people will improve in the 6-12 months post op. So, keeping that in mind, continue what you're doing. According to your list, you are doing all the right things. You may try another type of drop instead of Systane. If you haven't tried others, you may want to give that a shot.

It is important to try and give yourself some "breaks." If you work, take your breaks and go somewhere quiet and close your eyes. You cannot refresh yoursell if you don't get enough rest. This includes eye breaks.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Michelle,
      I sent you a private message!
      Missy

Comment

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the response! I do realize that I am early in the healing. I often get very scared though with the ups and downs. I feel like I'm healing, then un-healing or something! Things have been slightly worse lately, but I blame the heat and the weather changes. It seems from what people have been telling me that the fluctations are normal though, so I will try to stay calm. Thanks for the encouragment on dealing with the guilt. This whole thing is just really messing with my head right now !

Anyway, back to the actual physical problem..the dry eye! I had dry eyes by the end of the day starting the week after my surgery, but never anything that bothered me all day long. I even had a 3 week period where I felt that everything was almost completely normal, then it came back to slap me in the face at 1.5 months! I had tried many drops originally, and ended up on the Systane around 3 months post-op. On my good days, it is soothing and I like it. On my bad days though, it feels very sticky a few seconds after putting it in and blurs my vision for a while. So, I have tried a few other things, but with the fluctuations and stuff it is nearly impossible to determine what works and what doesn't.

I have another question. This may sound silly, but I am just trying to understand exactly what is going on with my eyes a little better. On my good days, when I pull down my eyelids and look, they are a nice peachy color. On my bad days the are bright red. Is this the blepharitis causing the redness? Or does dryness make your eyelids inflamed as well? I'm just trying to figure out exactly how much of my problem is related to this blepharitis that I just heard about around 3 months post-op. I plan to get alot more details about this from my doc next time I see him, but if you have any input I would appreciate it as well. All I know is that my eyelids are rarely "peachy" anymore. Thanks!

Michelle

Comment

Working...
        X