eating/chewing/dry eye relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eating/chewing/dry eye relationship

QUOTE FROM IWUBIT "I forgot to mention that I do get relief with eating and swallowing-it is amazing the amount of relief I get with swallowing. Gum helps some but not like eating but does help with nerves. Does anyone know what hormones are released when swallowing or digesting food that could be the trigger in all of this? Thank you so much for your help, everyone who responded. I have an appointment with the neurologist on Friday and will ask about the shingles and trigeminal neuropathy. I hope Dr. Latkany takes special notice, reads this and replies. Thank you..."

That is so odd that you mention the eating and dry eye relationship as I was just going to ask that question myself. I have also noticed that while eating and swallowing my dry eye pain lessens.

I thought perhaps it was the chewing motion itself that maybe loosened up those lacrimal glands so have just started a self test with chewing more gum (so far that doesn't seem to recreate the relief).

Maybe its more of a saliva thing? Or maybe it is a swallowing thing? Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
    Best Wishes to Everyone,
    Alywankin

Alywankin,

Here's my story, which is not exactly a direct answer to your question. But I hope you will see its relevance.

From my 20s into my 40s I suffered from debilitating headaches which were diagnosed as "migraines." (My teenage daughter once came home from school and found me in the middle of an episode lying in our hall closet, which was the only place where I could get a measure of relief by not seeing any light, nor hearing any sounds). Believe me, I went to more than a few doctors and followed their instructions conscientiously, which included: charting my menstrual cycle < did I mention I was female? >, verifying whether I had eaten yellow cheese/ red wine/ nuts/ chocolate/ other potential food triggers shortly before an attack, and taking the most heavy-duty medicines available at the time. I assumed this was a forever-problem.

In my 40s I told my dentist that I was experiencing constant clicking of my jaw, (audible to other people at shared meals ) which sometimes caused me to fear that my jaw would lock-in-place-open. My dentist diagnosed TMJ = temporo-mandibular-joint problem, for which he created a stint = a mouthpiece used at night to realign my jaw (nowadays they apparently term many such devices a "nightguard" or a "mouthguard"). After a few weeks, the clicking stopped and I was extremely relieved.

Six months later, in a routine visit to my general practitioner doctor, he asked if I wanted to renew my migraine medicines. I told him that I had a surplus because I hadn't had a migraine in ages. He asked me to review my situation and tell him what, if anything, had changed in the interim . . . BINGO !

Having learned as much as I learned in that process about the delicate connection of nerves in eye and face and jaw, I am always concerned when posters here report intractable face/eye pain and/or headaches, because I think that constant headaches, and especially anything which involves chewing, swallowing, etc., should alert a doctor to the possibility that "dry eye" may be a side-effect of a facial nerve problem, rather than the fundamental cause of their symptoms.

Just my personal-experience-two-cents.

p.s. I've had not one "migraine," not one single "migraine" ever since!
    Last edited by mary kenny badami; 07-Jan-2009, 12:04. Reason: clarification

Comment

migraines/tmj/lasik/dry eye/nerves ????

I also experienced migraines in my 20's and 30's. I'm now 48 with no migraines but do have tmj for which my dentist is fitting me for a night guard and am likely beginning menopause as well. My dry eye occurred as a result of Lasik in April 2008 . I think I am still healing, but even after 4 punctal plugs this is a very slowwwwww process. And perhaps all of the above conditions are really not helping the whole process. Any suggestions or advice is always welcomed.
      Take care and thanks for the response.
      Alywankin
      Last edited by alywankin; 07-Jan-2009, 12:17.

Comment

I have TMJ and go to an oesteopath, unfortunately my eyes haven't improved, so no link for me on that. However, I have noticed with chewing before that I've had improved symptoms, never been sure if it's the chewing or distraction from eye pain!
        Last edited by Stanza; 07-Jan-2009, 12:17. Reason: word revision
        just keep swimming...

Comment

dry eye relief with eating vs. distraction vs nerve relationship

I also wondered if it was just the distraction thing as well. Could very well be just that.

But then I also wonder if there have been any studies regarding the facial nerves/cranial nerves/corneal nerves connection. I think there is some connection with cranial nerves and Sjorgens or palsy type symptoms (not really sure though). And I know my dry eye is a result of Lasik (the corneal nerve damage).

Perhaps, just as Mary Kenny wondered, there is more of a connection between these nerve impulses/nerve malfunctions/nerve damages? (not sure what to call it)

Anyone know any more about this?
          Best Always,
          Alywankin

Comment

I do believe eating not only excites the salivary glands, but the lacrimal glands as well. I absolutely notice relief when I eat and drink. It's certainly more than just distraction. There was a man named Erik who used to post here regularly. He suffered post-LASIK dry eye. He swore by sucking atomic fireballs for relief.

This might be an interesting question to post to Dr. Latkany...
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

nerve relationship to dry eyes

Thanks Dianat, I was just googling the lacrimal and salivary gland connection when you responded. I found this study that was done regarding lacrimal and salivary glands. But certainly don't understand what they're saying. I did post the first part of this thread to Dr. Latkany earlier today.
              Citing Article

(Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2001;42:925-932.)
              © 2001 by The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc.

Impaired Neurotransmitter Release from Lacrimal and Salivary Gland Nerves of a Murine Model of Sjögren’s Syndrome
              Driss Zoukhri and Claire Larkin Kublin

ps. Where can I get some of those "atomic fireballs"?
              Last edited by alywankin; 07-Jan-2009, 12:58.

Comment

I am plugged top and bottom and my boyfriend pointed out to me the other day that my eye waters and tears when I am eating, though I can't say I have ever noticed any change in pain or comfort level.

He also said his business partner, who had severe singles when he was young, has to dab at his eyes when he is eating as they start to tear, even though he doesn't have any plugs.

I will keep an eye on this, and get chewing on some gum just incase!

Bernadette
                Last edited by bernmee; 07-Jan-2009, 13:37. Reason: More info

Comment

Thank you so much Alywankin for posting to Dr Latkany. That was very kind of you. My husband and my best friend both say that the difference in my face is remarkable when I am eating and have relief because of the absence of pain and that I look relaxed for a few minutes. But my stomach also has issues and I am wondering about a gluten/wheat intolerance and have cut those items out of my diet. Activia also helps with my stomach pain. So, I can't eat all the time and have actually lost 23 pounds in the last 4 months. Thank you for your help. This site gives hope.

Comment

Working...
                  X