First Post - Glad to find this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post - Glad to find this site

Hi - I live in Texas and have been having dry eyes since my Lasik about 8 years ago. Recently I had eyelid surgery (2 months ago) and it was not so good. My eyelids are red, numb and pulled up with big scars. One bad side effect that I was not aware of was that it could make my dry eyes worse. I feel like I have the old hard contacts in my eyes and then stabbing pain.

I went to my eye doctor today and he said it's like someone has thrown sand in my eyes. There are holes or something in the surface. We had put in plugs about a month ago, but today he upped my Restastis to 3x day and then prescribed Azasite for a month and then I'll go back and we will revisit what to do. Of course I have regular eye drops that I put in all during the day. I am also taking fish oil, but haven't been able to wear the eye mask at night as my doctor had instructed. I keep taking it off in my sleep.

Looking forward to talking with everyone and hopefully draw from all the wisdom. Thanks!

Jshu

Hi, Jshu.

It sounds like you are experiencing pain. The "holes" in your corneas sound like dry spots that might be abrasions or erosion sites.

It also sounds like you are doing all of the right things-- communicating with your doctor, trying to adjust to sleeping with a mask, and modifying your diet to include fish oil.

I cannot help much, but I would recommend using a preservative-free drop, especially if you are using the drops a lot during the day, due to your eyelids being inflamed. Genteal Gel might make a nice choice if you have problems at night, too.

Your story comes at an interesting time, because one of our members posted about having success with eyelid surgery after suffering with dry eye for years. So, it is a sobering reminder that all surgery has risks. That could really help some other readers, so thank you for your story.

--Liz

Comment

JSHU, can you tell me what the surgery was? I'm guessing it was cosmetic ie eyelid lift. You didn't say why you had surgery You did mention you had dry eyes since your Lasik 8 years ago. (I'm not making judgments as to whether or not this is a good thing.) Am interested in the timeline and that people do sometimes have problems long after lasik. We know most do not.

I'm 9 years post lasik and also have Sjogrens and I doubt I would not chance any more surgery unless it was to make my situation better.

I hope things get better for you. Do you have Tranquileyes? I have them and love them. I do not take them off at night and move about and roll over without disturbing them. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Liz!

Thanks for the tip about the preservative free. I picked up Systane yesterday, which seems to be what my doctor recommends a bit. I had a choice between the vials (preservative free) or the bottle. I figured the bottle would be cheaper and that I would be going through quite a bit, so I got the bottle. I think I will go back and get preservative free for right now. I'll pick up the Genteal Gel as well - I can use all the help I can get!

Comment

Lucy,

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty. My doctor's nurse who is a friend of mine recommended that I check into it because my eyelids were hanging into my vision somewhat. I did that and my insurance approved it.

My current doctor did not do my Lasik, but I had one of the top Lasik surgeons in the country do my eyes. I guess I got an astigmatism in my right eye. (I found this out after going to my current doctor, who is also highly recommended in the Houston area.) I went to him about 3 years ago. He then told me that I had dry eyes which he was very concerned about. I had been having pain in my eyes for several years, but was putting drops in them, so I didn't know there was such a thing as a medical issue of dry eyes.

Even though we have been treating my dry eyes, they haven't gotten much better even with the Restasis. But... my eyes are now dramatically worse after having the eyelids done. I've heard some good things about the Azasite, so I'm hoping that that will make a difference.

Good tip about the Tranquileyes, they look great. My problem that I'm concerned about is that no matter what contraption (C-Pap), eye mask, or even a boot that I have to wear on my foot at night - it all comes off mysteriously during the night. I wake up in the morning, and I discover that I have taken them off without knowing about it.

So good to talk with others that are going through some of the same things!

Comment

Droopy Eyelids

Wow..Hi I was thinking of getting my eyelids done ( but I was not sure becasue I suffer with very bad dry eye...In the winter months it's always worst,this has to be my worse year..I wake like a monster every morning..I have tried every drop on the market and doctor, also ent and so on...It's all connected, so I seeked doctor for every thing associated with my eye...The end result and with No Fooling Around...I have dry eye and have to learn to live with it..

My question? Did you find that the googles work..Also any advise you have I like to share.

Thank you

Comment

Hi Donna,

I can't reply to the goggles, maybe Lucy can do that.

As far as the eyelid surgery - mine was particularly bad. For some reason, it was incredibly painful, even though they put me in twilight sleep - I woke up in severe pain half way through the procedure. It was agony to endure the whole operation - I thought they were cutting my eyeball. They did say they had to solder something. I was in so much pain, I couldn't even talk afterwards. I went home and fortunately had pain pills there. I popped three, not caring if I OD'd or not. I was absolutely miserable for several days. When I went to my eye doctor a few weeks afterwards, they told me that it looked like the doctor had to solder my tear duct on one eye. Luckily they were able to open it and put in a plug.

My eye doctor told me that it was possible that the surgery made my dry lids worse, but he couldn't say for sure. Course, I have not been able to see as well since then, so my vote is that it definitely made it worse. But you know how doctors are when it comes to saying anything negative about another doctor.

I had gone to my doctor because of my friend who went to him and all her family. It's hard to advise anyone else - but if you don't want more problems with your dry eyes, I would say to seriously consider whether to go through eyelid surgery - you probably are throwing the dice. Go to a doctor who is not rushing you through and takes time to really talk to you.

Comment

Donna-I'm referring to goggles, not googles. "Googles" means doing a computer search as in GOOGLING. This could cause you trouble if you're trying to find information.

Tranquileyes "goggles" work by keeping your eyes closed at night while you sleep. They are available through this site. They can be considered expensive by some, but to me, they are worth it. I treat mine gently and they have lasted more than a year. I have had to reline with foam a time or two.

JSHU-Thank you for answering my nosey questions. I'm of the age where one might consider a little "trim" here and there. However, after my Lasik 9 years ago, I'm really afraid to have anything done. Your posting about your experience can help someone else perhaps make a wise decision under the same circumstances. I've known people whose eyelids drooped and disturbed their vision. They had no problems, but they never had refractive surgery. I hope you get better soon. Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                X