Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blepharitis, rosacea, dry eyes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • blepharitis, rosacea, dry eyes

    this is my first post here. 3 months ago, i started having severe eye pain, i went to my eye doctor, who said i had blepharitis, and prescribed me some perscriptions. since then, i have been to 6 different eye doctors, my medical doctor, and a dermatologist. the medications i have been on include, patanol, blephamide ointment, alocril, lotemax,prednisone, augmentin. absolutely nothing seems to be working. I am currently taking :

    doxycycline- been on this for 3 weeks
    prednisolone drops- on day 2 of a 2 week course.

    i am very diligent with my warm compresses, lid massages, and lid scrubs, but am getting no relief. to be honest, i feel that i am at the end of my rope, and am not afraid to say, that i am scared to death, that the pain is never going to get any better, and life as i know it is never gonna be the same.
    they are thinking about plugs, because my eyes are bone dry, and they are also thinking about restasis, when i return to the dr. in 2 weeks.

    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, because i am desperate for relief. thanks, ron, butler, pa.

  • #2
    Hi Ronnyp,

    Welcome to Dry Eye Talk! I hope you don't mind, I moved your post into this forum where others will see it more easily.

    I am very sorry to hear about your struggles with eye pain. Sounds like you've been through the wringer with it.

    I'm going to share some random thoughts with you, and I'm sure others will share theirs. I would like to encourage you to both read the archives here and hunt around on the main site, such as our Dry Eye FAQ section where there are many articles about all the different treatments available. Also check out some of our favourite sites like agingeye.net and dryeyepain.com.

    You said: doxycycline- been on this for 3 weeks
    My comment: It may take much longer than that to kick in. I hope that ultimately you find it beneficial.

    You said: i am scared to death, that the pain is never going to get any better, and life as i know it is never gonna be the same
    My comment:I want to encourage you to keep up your hope. There are many people on this bulletin board who have been through some pretty dreadful periods with their eye condition and who are now in far better condition. Ocular surface disease comprises some very complex conditions and it can take quite some time to find the right way to manage it to get the symptoms under control. It sounds as though in terms of dry eye treatments specifically, you're just at the very beginning, because plugs and Restasis are some of the earliest things they would try these days.

    You said: i have been on include, patanol, blephamide ointment, alocril, lotemax,prednisone, augmentin. absolutely nothing seems to be working.
    My comment: Some of these have dryness as a side effect anyway, or may have an irritating preservative, so I'm not too surprised.

    You said:to be honest, i feel that i am at the end of my rope
    My comment: If eye pain is seriously getting you down, I would strongly recommend you look into protective eyewear, at least as a temporary measure. It is frequently the case that this can provide relatively instant relief and reduce pain to a more tolerable level. To see the kind of eyewear I'm talking about go to www.dryeyezone.com/shop and click on Panoptx DryEyeWear. This is just an example, and I'm not trying to sell you something - it's really best if you go to a local dealer to try on what they have and see if you find something that suits you. But Panoptx are the most popular of the glasses of this sort for keeping moisture in and relieving dry eye pain.

    Regards
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Zone

    Comment


    • #3
      Whoops, missed one I wanted to comment on

      You said:i am very diligent with my warm compresses, lid massages, and lid scrubs, but am getting no relief.
      My comment:You might consider experimenting with alternative methods just in case it makes a difference. For example if you're using wet heat, try dry heat, or vice versa. If you're using baby shampoo for the lid scrubs, you might consider something even milder, like just plain saline.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Zone

      Comment


      • #4
        Try taking lots of oil supplements. I'm taking a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and 8 or 9 TheraTears Nutrition pills per day along with eyelid hygene, and it helps a lot.

        Comment


        • #5
          Dry Eye Experience

          Originally posted by ronnyp
          this is my first post here. 3 months ago, i started having severe eye pain, i went to my eye doctor, who said i had blepharitis, and prescribed me some perscriptions. since then, i have been to 6 different eye doctors, my medical doctor, and a dermatologist. the medications i have been on include, patanol, blephamide ointment, alocril, lotemax,prednisone, augmentin. absolutely nothing seems to be working. I am currently taking :

          doxycycline- been on this for 3 weeks
          prednisolone drops- on day 2 of a 2 week course.

          i am very diligent with my warm compresses, lid massages, and lid scrubs, but am getting no relief. to be honest, i feel that i am at the end of my rope, and am not afraid to say, that i am scared to death, that the pain is never going to get any better, and life as i know it is never gonna be the same.
          they are thinking about plugs, because my eyes are bone dry, and they are also thinking about restasis, when i return to the dr. in 2 weeks.

          any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, because i am desperate for relief. thanks, ron, butler, pa.
          Hi, I have been struggling with dry eye for over 6 years. I have been so frustrated by the different products out there. I have had severe pain several times during the last 6 years - pain that caused unbelievable discomfort. I take doxycycline, baby shampoo scrubs, refresh plus drops, warm compresses. I have had the lower tear ducts cauterized (that did not produce more tears for me) I hesitated to do the upper ones because I would be tearing down my face all day. However, the last visit to the eye doctor I was given a silicon plug in the upper temporarily to see if the tearing was excessive before I permanently have it closed. That was working for me. In the past I have had recurrent corneal erosions (extremely painful) and finally I had stromal punctures done on my cornea to re grow the epithileal cells on the corneal surface. That did help me. I had my entire cornea done except for in the center. My corneal specialist is a great surgeon and is determined to make me comfortable. I recently contracted "pink eye" (conjunctivitis) that is in its 5th day and I am still not feeling great because the antibiotic Quixen is causing burning and the foreign body feeling. I have been through alot with this and maybe you have some new info for me. Good luck with your eyes, Annie

          Comment

          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

          Unconfigured PHP Module

          Collapse

          Working...
          X

          Debug Information