sudden onset, schleral lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden onset, schleral lenses

Hello, I am new here, I am about to get schleral lenses and want to hear if others have gotten them and what their experiences are afterward -- are there problems? My eyes as well as the rest of me is supersensitive to everything. Until a few years I was super healthy, also a worldclass sprinter in "Masters" (for age > 40) categories. Then I began getting skin cancer. I also got Lyme Disease and it was 3 months before they diagnosed it, although a course of doxycillan appears to have eradicated it. (But you never know with Lyme Disease.) In April 2008, 9 months ago my eyes suddenly turned dry and painful and I have been visiting doctors and trying things ever since. Nothing provides more than a little relief. I developed rosacea in November 2008, three months ago (but I may always have had it, mildly) and diet changes seem to be helping that a bit. But one doctor thinks I do not have ocular rosacea because a course of doxycillan did not improve my eyes. I worked in the tropics when I was in my 20s and sometimes I think there may be sun damage. All of my skin is very dry and one doctor thinks I have Sjorgrens although all the tests are negative -- he says you have to have Sjorgrens for a while for thoses tests to turn positive. There you have it, if anybody has any analyses I would be grateful. My whole life has changed for the worse as I am in constant pain and I can't see well through the 7 eye moisture goggles and I look like a freak. I don't know what the downside of schleral lenses are and I would really appreciate comments from people who have them for awhile.
    Last edited by islandgirl; 01-Feb-2009, 08:16. Reason: spellings

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk---yes, there are successful scleral lens wearers here. Not I----but, I do have Sjogren's (I test positive) and have dealt with dry eyes for many years. Just wanted to say that my eyes feel WAY better these days. I take Plaquenil to modulate my immune system, and do the "eye spa" (warm compresses, lid cleaning and massage), I take Omega-3's, extra Vitamin D, etc. I use FreshKote drops morning and night, Genteal gel and TranquilEyes while sleeping.

It is possible to have Sjogren's without testing positive like your doctor said. The inflammation of the eyes takes a long time to get under control, but it is possible. For me, having a contact lens (soft lens) in my eye causes more inflammation. Obviously, sclerals are different, and they may work OK for you. But I wanted you to know that improvement and comfort are still possible if the sclerals don't work.

More info on Sjogren's can be found at here at Sjogren's World---especially if you join the forums--good, friendly people. But the Dry Eye Zone and the forums here are the best places I've found for info, help, and support for dry eye.

Calli

Comment

If you will use the "search" button above and type in "scleral", there are lots of posts about people's experiences both with the fitting and with the tolerance of the lenses. I wish you the best.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hello islandgirl,

I have been wearing custom RGPs since 2002, having had LASIK in 2000. My annual expenses are about $150 to $250 for cleaning solutions and eye drops. I use my flexible savings account to pay for them using pre-tax money.

The only caution I would give you regarding sclerals is that they are going to be shockingly expensive. I hope you can get the cost covered by your optical or health care plan as medically necessary.

Good luck,

Lynne
        Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          I would really appreciate comments from people who have them for awhile.
          You can get lots of info on scleral lens experiences in the sclerals forum, including my personal experience.

Depending where you're getting your sclerals, you may get less or more guidance on solutions to use, how to care for the lenses, etc. Those things are key so ask a lot of questions!

In my experience with sclerals and other GP lenses the cleaners and such make a big difference. Personally I use only Lobob Extra Strength or Miraflow (incidentally Lobob is hard to find in stores, and Miraflow is no longer sold in drugstores at all, so I stock both of them in the shop here) as cleaners, and soak them in hydrogen peroxide, and insert them with Unisol 4.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X