Scared and need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared and need advice

Hi, I'm new and have a couple questions. I will try to make this short and sweet. I am completely obsessive when it comes to my eyes and vision so when I went to my eye doctor and she told me I had a moderate case of dryness on my cornea, I flipped out. This happened 3 months ago and she gave me an ointment called maxitrol to use at night and told me to use Refresh Plus during the day. Well, everything cleared up fine but I started noticing my eyes getting dry again so I went back today and the dryness is back so now its back to maxitrol and she told me to use Refresh pm at night. My question is, Please let me know if this is serious. Can dryness cause blindness? It makes me feel better that there are so many of you out there that have this problem as well but It scares me. I am only 25. Sorry this is so long. Thanks.

Vicky-

It's probably going to be helpful to read some of the really basic stuff about dry eye syndrome before worrying too much--especially if you have a mild or moderate case.

Here are a couple of links to sites that offer good information. If you take a few minutes to look at this information, you'll a) probably feel better, b) likely come up with a few specific questions.

Obviously, you'll want to browse this forum, too. You'll hear about other people's eyes, and how they're coping with their dry eye issues: treatments, medications, drops, punctal plugs, etc., etc.

Best of luck.

http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/DryEyeSyndrome.asp

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/dryeye.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003087.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-eyes/DS00463

Comment

Hi Vicky,

Sorry to hear about your condition. Just to give you a little reassurance...

Originally posted by Vicky
      Please let me know if this is serious. Can dryness cause blindness?
      To put this into perspective: I think that extreme cases, usually resulting from serious disease or injury, could lead to corneal ulceration and maybe a corneal transplant. That's not you by any stretch of the imagination. Severe or serious chronic cases require frequent treatments, products etc and result in varying degrees of pain, discomfort, lifestyle limitations, and some vision degradation in some cases (not blindness). That's not you either, based on your description.

I think a much more common form of dry eye (and please remember... boards like this often attract more of the uncommon than the common cases) is mild dry eye that may flare up and need more treatment at some times than others, but is manageable with some pretty simple treatments. If you haven't had the need to explore anything other than a couple of over-the-counter remedies, I really don't see any reason for you to get worried. Getting a better understanding of what dry eye is and the varying degrees of it, and the practical steps towards prevention and treatment that you can take, can all help towards peace of mind.

Neil's links are all great. We also have some basic dry eye explanations on this site at www.dryeyezone.com/faq.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, thank you for your advice. I was wondering also if it is normal that my doctor doesn't know what is causing the dryness, weather, not drinking enough water, etc.. I just want to prevent it from happening again. The only test she does is the dye in my eyes to see the dryness on my cornea. I am using an anti-inflamatory at night called maxitrol, have you heard of it. I guess it makes me think its serous b/c I have to use a prescription b/c she said the amount of dryness I have wouldn't be treated with just artificial tears. One more question, millions of people have dry eyes, but does that mean they also have dryness on their cornea? Thanks again, Vicky
        By the way, you said only severe cases can lead to ulcer, vision problems, etc.., how can I keep mine from getting severe if I don't even know what is causing it?
        Last edited by Vicky; 22-Dec-2005, 09:44.

Comment

to vicky

Hi Vicky,

I sent you a private message.

Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky
            Rebecca, thank you for your advice. I was wondering also if it is normal that my doctor doesn't know what is causing the dryness
            In brief, yes. Causes are sometimes more obvious than others, and there may be many factors that are suspected of contributing that can't necessarily be pinned down.

I am using an anti-inflamatory at night called maxitrol, have you heard of it...I guess it makes me think its serous b/c I have to use a prescription b/c she said the amount of dryness I have wouldn't be treated with just artificial tears.
            It's dexamethasone I believe. I am not a doctor and can't comment on this particular one versus others. Sorry... obviously I read your post too quickly so my comment about only OTC remedies was inappropriate. But again to reassure you, topical steroid is a common treatment for dry eye, as is Restasis, a commonly prescribed eyedrop for dry eye. Merely needing a prescription doesn't mean you're going to have a chronic condition; if you DO have or develop a chronic condition, that doesn't by any means mean it's going to be progressive. Most of us basically have our ups and downs as opposed to getting worse year to year.

One more question, millions of people have dry eyes, but does that mean they also have dryness on their cornea?
            The cornea is the clear outer covering of the eye, so corneal dryness is just a more specific way of saying eye dryness.

By the way, you said only severe cases can lead to ulcer, vision problems, etc.., how can I keep mine from getting severe if I don't even know what is causing it?
            For pretty much all of us, irrespective of our individual causes, dry eye treatment consists of improving the tear film so as to ensure our eyes are sufficiently well lubricated. To do that, you don't have to know specifically what's causing it - and indeed many of the causes are things we can't do a whole lot about.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by shells
              Hi Vicky,

I sent you a private message.

Michelle
              Michelle,
              Thank you so much for explaining so many things to me. I appreciate it. How often do you go to the eye doctor now that you have dry eyes? I feel like I need to go every time I feel a little burning b/c I don't want anything to happen, corneal ulcer, etc... Does the doctor seem concerned when you have dry spots on your cornea? I honestly think the discomfort I have is mild compared to other people. I just have a little burning but my contacts seem to bother me more when my eyes are dry. She didn't tell me to stop wearing them though. Thanks again and write back when you can.

Comment

contacts?

Do any of you wear contacts? I wear the acuvue oaysis which are supposed to be the best for dry eyes and wondering if anyone else has any advice? I figured you shouldn't wear contacts b/c I know it irritates my eyes but my eye doctor didn't tell me to stop wearing them, I guess she doen't think the contacts are affecting the dryness

Comment

I think that in some people wearing contacts may cause eye dryness to be worse, but in others it may not. I would talk to your doctor about it. Do your contacts irritate your eyes and make them feel more dry?

Comment

Contact lenses = one of the causes of dry eyes

Just to let you know, my problems with dry eyes started when I switched to soft contacts (used to wear semi-hard/gas permeable for about 15 yrs & had no problem). The truth is that I believe I am to blame, cause I used the last pair for 2 months while that specific brand was only for one month. You see, I couldn't even think of wearing my glasses when I ran out of contacts. So, now, not only do I wear my glasses all the time, I don't even think of wearing contacts again...

Anyway, my advise to anyone wearing soft contacts would be not to overuse them. Wear your glasses at work, especially if you're working infront of a PC (as I do), wear your contacts only when you go out, or want to do sports.

Comment

Do any of you wear contacts? I wear the acuvue oaysis which are supposed to be the best for dry eyes and wondering if anyone else has any advice? I figured you shouldn't wear contacts b/c I know it irritates my eyes but my eye doctor didn't tell me to stop wearing them, I guess she doen't think the contacts are affecting the dryness
                      Hi Vicky,

I see you have received lots of good advice already. I just want to throw in something that may seem a little off-topic. However, it's how some of us ended up with dry eyes in the first place. Many times when people become "contact lens intolerant" (because of dryness or other reasons) they will be referred to lasik. Or, they might arrive at that destination on their own! That happens alot. People think, gee, I can't wear contacts any more, I think I'll check into this lasik surgery.

Some people who have dry eyes (most do not realize it) have lasik surgery and are left with dry eyes years later. Most clear up within 6-12 months, but others (me included) seem to stay that way forever.
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

help on plugs please.

Hope i'm not sounding daft asking this but here goes.
                        Have had silicone plugs in now for 2 months and wanted to know if eyes
                        started tearing properly again would they do so with the plugs in or does the
                        body produce less tears as there is nowhere for them to drain?
                        Would i soon know if tears started again?
                        Hope i've explained myself clearly and would appreciate any response
                        here in a very snowy north east england.
                        thanks, Graham.

Comment

I think I understand what you mean. I, too, worried about that when I had plugs. I don't know if there is an answer out there for that. I can tell you that I no longer have plugs (and don't really need them) after having them for about a year. They fell out, and although I noticed they were gone, my eyes did seem better so I just left them out to see what happened. The plugs got me through my first year after lasik.

Comment

If your eyes start to produce more tears and you have overflow then I think that they can pull the plugs out. At least that's what my doctor told me...

Comment

thanks for that Missy,Jcorbett.I know it's a a funny thing this as you do wonder
                              are you doing more harm than good with the plugs in.
                              All the best for new year folks and more advancement in the cure for dry
                              eyes,wherever you are.
                              Graham.
                              Last edited by juninho; 01-Jan-2006, 15:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X