X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wee update from Scotland

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a a while, so thought I'd update all:-

My eyes (especially the right one) are still dry........however, I must admit I am using way less eye drops nowadays.....but why?

Just less than a year ago I'm guessing, I started taking Flax Seed Oil & Fish Oil capsules *every* morning. The result that seems to coincide with this is that I seem to be having a lot more good days versus bad days than I used to. I haven't put any eye drops in for about 2 months (well maybe just the once).

I still have days where my eyes are pretty dry, but the edge seems to have been removed.

I've also stopped the eye massages completely, because for me I just think it was a waste of time. Sure I know I have Blepharitis (as well as a lacrimal problem in my right eye) but I never felt any benefit from the massages at all.

The only other relief that I get is through self inflicted yawning all the time to manually produce tears. Without this I guess I'd still be taking eye-drops a lot. Especially when driving home at the end of the day i'll find myself yawning continously at the wheel.

Ian.

Glad to hear your good news, Ian!

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
      Hi all,

Haven't posted in a a while, so thought I'd update all:-

My eyes (especially the right one) are still dry........however, I must admit I am using way less eye drops nowadays.....but why?

Just less than a year ago I'm guessing, I started taking Flax Seed Oil & Fish Oil capsules *every* morning. The result that seems to coincide with this is that I seem to be having a lot more good days versus bad days than I used to. I haven't put any eye drops in for about 2 months (well maybe just the once).

I still have days where my eyes are pretty dry, but the edge seems to have been removed.

I've also stopped the eye massages completely, because for me I just think it was a waste of time. Sure I know I have Blepharitis (as well as a lacrimal problem in my right eye) but I never felt any benefit from the massages at all.

The only other relief that I get is through self inflicted yawning all the time to manually produce tears. Without this I guess I'd still be taking eye-drops a lot. Especially when driving home at the end of the day i'll find myself yawning continously at the wheel.

Ian.

How much flax seed / fish oil do you take ? and When exactly did you start to feel some progress?

Thanks

Comment

I've noticed the yawn connection too.

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well Ian
          I would yawn rather than use drops too
          I learned this trick pretty early on

Comment

Originally posted by cristiandryeyes View Post
            How much flax seed / fish oil do you take ? and When exactly did you start to feel some progress?

Thanks
            2 capsules of each every morning. Took a good few months before I felt any difference.

The eye doc told me I could take 4 or 5 capsules easy, but I figured I'd try 2ea for a while.

Ian,

Comment

Glad you are doing better, Ian. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

It's always great to hear of good news like yours! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Yawn. Thanks for your update, Ian and glad you are doing so well!!

Comment

Good to hear you are doing better.

Why not try to increase your oil intake?
                    I take 10 (!!!) capsules every day.

Comment

Hi all,

A wee update fae Scotland:-

Since my last post I've taken eye drops once only.......

I'm still taking the Omega3/Fish oil pills every morning without fail.

And something I don't think I've mentioned......I am losing weight.
                      I used to be as skinny as a rake all through childhood and up till about my 30's, whereupon I guess being less active and metabolism changes brought about the appearance of a wee beer belly. So, this past year I've been "trying" to lose a bit of weight. I'm down a few kilo's but I guess I'm only about a stone and a half over weight (yes, yes, I mix imperial/metric all the time!).

So I have another theory:-
                      When I lose weight, even just a few kilo's, I "feel" as though my eyes are better. Could it be the fat around my eyes that affects the glands...........or is it down to a diet thing?

So, overall I've still got dry eyes but it is definitely more manageable. I wish the right eye was as least as good as the left so I could run a brighter monitor on my PC, but for now as ever it's on a low setting so I don't get sore.

One thing I did recently was get back into dSLR photography (motorsports)........and you know I hesitated for a long time because of my eyes. However, I figured "why should I let it" and bit the dust and performed open wallet surgery on a new Canon plus lenses.
                      One thing I didn't figure was wearing specs and SLR cameras are a pest, so, with a 3 day photoshoot at an outdoor offroad motorcycle event coming up I pulled out the box of contact lens.
                      I wore them for 3 days, 8am to 8pm solid......and it was GREAT! Of course being outdoors for 90% of that period certainly helped but it really couldn't have been better. One thing I did experience which I was told should happen was the extra protection against sensitivity, it wasn't till I took them out that I felt any kind of increased sensation/sensitivity for an hour or so.
                      I can't wear them to work still, it's just too dry/hot in the office, but outdoors is a dream.

So, I still hope for a des/bleph cure.......just not quite as often these days!

Ian.

One of my pics:-

Comment

Cool picture!

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling fit and better.

--Liz

Comment

So happy to hear things are still going well for you Ian! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Really cool picture, Ian. I'm glad you threw caution "to the wind." (Sorry.)
                            Deciding to take up a new hobby or two, or pick up an old one is good for the soul.

Also reading about losing weight gave me a kick in the stomach. Perhaps more of us (especially me) should/could see what that might do. Couldn't hurt most of us.

Post a pic or two for us once in awhile. Lucy
                            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                            X