This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to ask an Ophthalmologis before scheduling a visit

Sometimes when we see an Opthalmologist and realise he's not knowledgeable enough or lacks the right equipment to study our condition, it is too late to back out so I wonder if there are specific questions we could ask before making an appointment. Someone just asked on another thread if a "topographer" is needed to detect cornea abrasions.

I have never heard of such a devise and I don't know if it is something a competent ophthalmologist needs to have in his office but perhaps other testing equipment is. Unfortunately DE is a new thing to me and there are too many useless doctors willing to take our money without giving us the kind of help we need.

Which are the essential tests that need to be part of a thorough examination?
    Last edited by Ariel; 07-May-2010, 16:21.

Hi Ariel,

First, I will apologize for being brief. I don't like being on the computer much anymore. However, I still read DEZ from time to time and once in awhile I feel I can help. I am providing a link to a post that I wrote (and many others contributed to) from a few years ago following a very wonderful conference Rebecca and Dry Eye Zone hosted in Tampa, FL. You may find this information helpful when deciding how to approach and ask questions of your ophthalmologist and how to make the most of your appointments.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1143
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Thank you Cindy. Your link has been of great help to me.

Still, I feel there are so many kinds of DE... The tear composition can be deficient of many different components and the treatment for the same symptoms will need to be different in each case.

I would like to get tested for everything I mention here as I want to cover all the angels.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=11487

Comment

Cindy, thanks for posting that link... that was a fantastic thread! It should be a sticky! (in my humble opinion...). I never would have taken the time to read through the support group threads to find this as most of the support group threads seem to be primarily just for listing when meetings will be etc.

Comment

Working...
        X