X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacri Lube/Xailin Night ointments substitute

Hi,

I know other people in the UK are affected by the same problem, so hopefully somebody will be able to help. A couple of years ago I was prescribed Lacri Lube ointment for dry eye condition. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued as well as Xailin Night ointment. Now I am having a problem to outsource an adequate substitute of preservative-free ointment and my GP is of no help. Could anyone please recommend an alternative? Vita Pos ointment doesn't seem to suit me. It feels too harsh to my eyes.

Regards,
    Irene

Hi Irene, I use Ocunox (with vitamin A) ointment at night. You can order it online or through your pharmacist. It is typically not available OTC. I started using this after the lacrilube started to burn my eyes. I also use their other products - Hylo drops and Hylo gel.
    OCUNOX™ eye ointment improves the tear film and protects the surface of the eye overnight, particularly helpful after eye surgery or an eye injury.

Comment

Hello have a look at Lubristil Gel. Its preservative free and your chemist can get it for you without prescription. Emustil may also help. Both are Moorfields products. I have found these in conjunction with Systane have really helped me, having tried so many others. good luck

Comment

be careful with ointment , try just before bedtime firstly , you will see if you are allergic to it or not. Dont put too much. i will try ocunox thank you.

Comment

I use Muro 128 at night.

Comment

I have tried everything imaginable and nothing works for me as well as Ocunox. I use it before bed, before a shower (the steam is great), and even during the day (though it does sometimes end up looking shiny around my eye). Using this has reduced my need for drops (which I used to use every 15-30 mins). I am so biased towards these drops that I feel the need to assure you that I'm in no way associated with this company lol. As a matter of fact, I don't like their other products. This forum has helped me to no end. I am finally able to offer something back.

Comment

Seems like everyone here uses ointments for nighttime but my eyes are always super sore after ointment use. While nowhere near perfect I've had the most luck with Genteal Gel

Comment

Ericska, thank you, but Ocunox seems to be a Canadian ointment, no? Is it possible to get it in the UK?

Comment

Hi Randle-- I wanted to buy lacrilube at the chemist and they did not have it,however I was offered Chloramphenicol ointment 1% for infected eyes which I always used for years in the past but had to get it on prerscrition.You can now buy it over the counter without prescription
                  It is produced by optrex and called"infected eye ointment"
                  I know you will immediately think -- but my eyes are not infected.It is a very safe option and i only used it once in 24hrs at night.and then only on my lid margins to stop my eyes sticking when i woke up in the am..My Dr was ok with that
                  Stella

Comment

Working...
                  X