X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleptharitis

Hi all,

I've not posted on here for ages, although I've still been regularly.

Good news is that I have stopped using eye drops for the past 2 months, and this has made a big different to my overall eye comfort. My eyes sting less, although my left eye does play up.

My eyes are still quite red and do get redder in dry conditions.

I noticed when cleaning my eyes, that near my eyelashes at the base, small white flakes (like dandruff) appear. You can only see the flakes in certain light. I also have flakes on my eyebrows, which I only noticed recently. And get a few flakes on my scalp if i scratch it (sorry if this is too much info).

I really don't want to use baby shampoo - I can't bear the though of chemicals near my eyes again!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

DL
    Last edited by DryLondoner; 05-Jan-2015, 06:33.

I use Thera Tears Sterilid Cleaning Gel, it's excelent.
    http://www.amazon.com/Thera-Tears-St...theratears+gel

It does not sting my eyes whatsoever.
    Also, it lasts much longer than the foams for the same price.

Comment

Hi Dry Londener

Im glad things are a bit better for you. Your post reminded me of me, about two years ago an optician said I had some flakes on my eyelashes and just told me to wash my eyes under the shower. I now know that this was sebhorreic blepharitis. I saw an optometrist last week for a dry eye consultation and he really helped he explained to me that I could have had sebhorreic blepharitis which has led to bacterial blepharitis, which I think sounds about right, he said the bacteria feed on the skin from sebhorreic. Do you know the cause of your blepharitis?

I also had blephex treatment which cleared away the debris from my lashes and lids, I could tell a difference and the before and after pictures showed that the debris/flakes had been removed. I have been using superdrug tea tree wipes sensitive to clean my eyes, they have helped me a lot alongside doxycycline and blephasteam. I also clean my eye brows with the wipes and put extra virgin coconut oil on my lids before i go to bed and change my pillow cases evert night.

Im going back to have a follow up appointment in a weeks time to see how much of the debris has come back, I would pay to have this treatment done every 3 weeks.

I use head and shoulders, I dont have dandruff but my scalp is very sensitive and head and shoulders suits it.

Cath x
      27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Originally posted by m4shore View Post

Thanks for your suggestion, I will check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
          Hi Dry Londener

Im glad things are a bit better for you. Your post reminded me of me, about two years ago an optician said I had some flakes on my eyelashes and just told me to wash my eyes under the shower. I now know that this was sebhorreic blepharitis. I saw an optometrist last week for a dry eye consultation and he really helped he explained to me that I could have had sebhorreic blepharitis which has led to bacterial blepharitis, which I think sounds about right, he said the bacteria feed on the skin from sebhorreic. Do you know the cause of your blepharitis?

I also had blephex treatment which cleared away the debris from my lashes and lids, I could tell a difference and the before and after pictures showed that the debris/flakes had been removed. I have been using superdrug tea tree wipes sensitive to clean my eyes, they have helped me a lot alongside doxycycline and blephasteam. I also clean my eye brows with the wipes and put extra virgin coconut oil on my lids before i go to bed and change my pillow cases evert night.

Im going back to have a follow up appointment in a weeks time to see how much of the debris has come back, I would pay to have this treatment done every 3 weeks.

I use head and shoulders, I dont have dandruff but my scalp is very sensitive and head and shoulders suits it.

Cath x
          Cathy, how are you doing? Better too by the sounds of things.

I have no real idea about what caused my bacteria. My guess is, that post LASIK I was so scared of touching my eyes I stopped cleaning them like I would do normally (e.g. rubbing when itchy, getting water in them in the bath etc.) I think the use of the all the drop may have also contributed to it. This, of course, is just a theory.

Can/could you see your debris with the naked eye? The pictures of google look much more severe then by eyes. I don't think anyone looking at me can see the flakes, just when I rub my eyes really close to the base of the eyelashes do flakes appear.

I really need to make an appointment with an ophthalmologists - I'm just fed up of people saying it's nothing and time will heal.

I tried tea tree, diluted with a cotton bud and coconut oil. I've not tried any of the others. Do these two help you?

Comment

I myself would be scared of the above products containing tea tree oil. I have used tea tree oil, and found that it stings me (it causes a feeling of heat). Also i'm allergic to citric acid, which seems to be in the theratears product. I have autoimmune allergies, which may be why I'm different than most.
            I.E. maybe i'm more allergic to low PH acid - while others thrive more on low PH than on high PH?
            On the other hand, bleach baths are known to help many peoples' irritations (even toddlers - OUCH.

This YouTube guy also states that tea tree (among other stuff) can be irritating:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgav_kZ_Hi4

Has anyone here tried:

NEOSPORIN-ECZEMA-CREAM
            (THIS NEOSPORIN HAS B.A.K. - WHICH HELPED SOME DRY-EYE MEMBERS' FOR BLEPH:
            http://www.drugstore.com/neosporin-e...6?catid=184374

NORDYKE'S WOUND HONEY (this was wonderful for my terribly sensitive poison ivy burns)
            http://www.drugstore.com/dr-nordykes...6?catid=184303

AVEENO ANTI-ITCH LOTION (was great for my lesser poison ivy itches with basic calamine as base)
            http://www.drugstore.com/aveeno-anti...7?catid=195677

I also find that rubbing-in the combo of flaxoil & licorice feels healing, as well as Oolong-berry-hibiscus tea, (i.e. drinking it, and also squeezing onto itchy areas.

Then again, the type of irritations caused by critters Vs. that caused by allergic-inflammations...
            ...may require mutually-antagonistic remedies.
            Similar to how sticky-lysine & arginine are mutually-antagonistic.
            Similar to how sticky-cheese & ajax are mutually-antagonistic.
            Last edited by Minni; 23-Jan-2015, 10:34.
            CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Dry Londoner, im sorry I didnt reply sooner. Im doing ok thanks, much better than this time last year. Not out of the woods yet I dont think, if I ever do make it out completely. I dont use drops anymore and im not waking in the night with gritty dry eyes, I wake in the morning now and my eyes are quite fluid like but this could all change at any minute, I just hope things dont go bad again.

It sounds like we have quite similar condition, I know that getting water in mine or even hot water on them irritates them like crazy. Its so hard working out what caused it isnt it.

I couldnt see the debris in my lashes and the pictures on google dont look like mine either. I think they can be very non obvious, the optometrist I go to spotted one in my lash follicle under the slit lamp and associated debris. I had blephex done then went back for a follow up and he said my tear break up time had gone from 3 seconds to 7 seconds, I was so pleased by this.

If you'd like me to tell you name of optometrist I saw let me know, also the name of the opthalmologist I saw who diagnosed me to begin with.

Have you had any kind of diagnosis yet? Its so hard to get one. I saw three opthalmologists and 2 opticians before anyone mentioned the work mgd to me, one even strictly said I didnt have posterior blepharitis just a bit of anterior blepharitis :S

Hope things are ok

Cath x

Originally posted by DryLondoner View Post
              Cathy, how are you doing? Better too by the sounds of things.

I have no real idea about what caused my bacteria. My guess is, that post LASIK I was so scared of touching my eyes I stopped cleaning them like I would do normally (e.g. rubbing when itchy, getting water in them in the bath etc.) I think the use of the all the drop may have also contributed to it. This, of course, is just a theory.

Can/could you see your debris with the naked eye? The pictures of google look much more severe then by eyes. I don't think anyone looking at me can see the flakes, just when I rub my eyes really close to the base of the eyelashes do flakes appear.

I really need to make an appointment with an ophthalmologists - I'm just fed up of people saying it's nothing and time will heal.

I tried tea tree, diluted with a cotton bud and coconut oil. I've not tried any of the others. Do these two help you?
              27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
                Dry Londoner, im sorry I didnt reply sooner. Im doing ok thanks, much better than this time last year. Not out of the woods yet I dont think, if I ever do make it out completely. I dont use drops anymore and im not waking in the night with gritty dry eyes, I wake in the morning now and my eyes are quite fluid like but this could all change at any minute, I just hope things dont go bad again.

It sounds like we have quite similar condition, I know that getting water in mine or even hot water on them irritates them like crazy. Its so hard working out what caused it isnt it.

I couldnt see the debris in my lashes and the pictures on google dont look like mine either. I think they can be very non obvious, the optometrist I go to spotted one in my lash follicle under the slit lamp and associated debris. I had blephex done then went back for a follow up and he said my tear break up time had gone from 3 seconds to 7 seconds, I was so pleased by this.

If you'd like me to tell you name of optometrist I saw let me know, also the name of the opthalmologist I saw who diagnosed me to begin with.

Have you had any kind of diagnosis yet? Its so hard to get one. I saw three opthalmologists and 2 opticians before anyone mentioned the work mgd to me, one even strictly said I didnt have posterior blepharitis just a bit of anterior blepharitis :S

Hope things are ok

Cath x
                Thanks for replying Cathy. So glad you're doing so much better. Great to hear. Our eyes do sound similar. I'm the same as you, I now longer have grittiness and haven't used drops for at least a couple of months. No diagnoses, I'm no longer in the UK, but thank you for the kind offer of sharing your opth. Would have been great if I was home. I've been recommended someone out here - hoping I've got more improving to do and getting bleph. under control will do it.

Take care of yourself and I hope you keep healing.X

Comment

I tried OMG.. it was terrible Stinging for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post

I tried OMG.. it was terrible Stinging for me.
                    Sorry to hear this.
                    Works great for me.

Comment

Hello all, I've been gone from DEZ for a while: returned to work in January 2015. Still using autologous serum 50%. I think it's helping. How are you all?

Comment

Working...
                      X