Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for "dry eye" consultants at Moorfields

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommendations for "dry eye" consultants at Moorfields

    I am not getting on very well with sclerals so unfortunately I think I may need to go back to the drawing board soon.
    Having been to Moorfields NHS every 6 weeks last year getting nowhere it is time to go to Moorfields Private. Thankfully my private health insurance through work will reimburse me 100%.

    Has anyone here seen any good consultants specialising in MGD at Moorfields (London City) they can recommend?
    If so please can you PM me.

    Many thanks

  • #2
    In regards to your sclerals, do they cause pain or are they not getting rid of your symptoms? Did the second eye end up stop burning like your other eye at all?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
      In regards to your sclerals, do they cause pain or are they not getting rid of your symptoms? Did the second eye end up stop burning like your other eye at all?
      They make my eyes very bloodshot even after one hour, and when I take them out they are covered in white debris. I believe this is because they donít fit properly, also my underlying MGD problems must be a contributing factor. They donít stop the burning in my left eye either so unless the next set fit perfectly Iím giving up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Alix if you're seeing the debris that quickly they aren't fit correctly. I learned that between my second and third pair. When they don't fit correctly it allows space for debris to number one creep in and number two stay in, obviously obscuring vision and inducing pain. That happened to me. I don't know how they test the fit over there but in the States my doctor put an orange dye in my eyes with the lenses already on. He could then see how much and how quickly debris (in this case the dye) crept in between the sclerals and the eye. My concern on your end, without of course knowing your doctor, is they may not be testing the fit adequately. If it were me, I would ask how he tests for the correctness of the fit besides just giving them a quick look through his microscope device. Don't give up; I've learned the fitting process is exactly that: a process.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CJ L. View Post
          Alix if you're seeing the debris that quickly they aren't fit correctly. I learned that between my second and third pair. When they don't fit correctly it allows space for debris to number one creep in and number two stay in, obviously obscuring vision and inducing pain. That happened to me. I don't know how they test the fit over there but in the States my doctor put an orange dye in my eyes with the lenses already on. He could then see how much and how quickly debris (in this case the dye) crept in between the sclerals and the eye. My concern on your end, without of course knowing your doctor, is they may not be testing the fit adequately. If it were me, I would ask how he tests for the correctness of the fit besides just giving them a quick look through his microscope device. Don't give up; I've learned the fitting process is exactly that: a process.
          Thank you for your advice. Iíll see what my fitter says. Maybe my underlying MGD issues are just too bad, but in any case I noticed yesterday when I tried them again and removed them that while my eyes were completely bloodshot again, there was a white ring around my corneas which means that you are right the fit is not correct, they are too tight.

          Comment


          • #6
            Alix that's actually a silver lining: it's not your eyes, it's the sclerals. keep fighting the good fight.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alix View Post

              Thank you for your advice. Iíll see what my fitter says. Maybe my underlying MGD issues are just too bad, but in any case I noticed yesterday when I tried them again and removed them that while my eyes were completely bloodshot again, there was a white ring around my corneas which means that you are right the fit is not correct, they are too tight.
              Have you though of using EPP lenses? Downside is there is only one fitter in the UK, in Northampton I think.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by quattroboy View Post

                Have you though of using EPP lenses? Downside is there is only one fitter in the UK, in Northampton I think.
                Yes that would be ideal but I live too far away and I can't afford to take any more time off work. Are you still thinking about getting scleral lenses?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Alix View Post

                  Yes that would be ideal but I live too far away and I can't afford to take any more time off work. Are you still thinking about getting scleral lenses?
                  Yes I'm currently trying prp drop which I got from Spain. But they are the next option.

                  Like you I struggle at work with the screen time and AC. Hoping they will help.

                  My NHS consultant has them on his treatment plan, he's been very supportive,, so I may get some help funding them but not sure how that works. If not I'll pay the lot myself.

                  Northampton is about 2 hours on the train for me but more then happy to travel to solve this. Work have been excellent and I've been allowed extra time of work to attend appointments etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by quattroboy View Post

                    Yes I'm currently trying prp drop which I got from Spain. But they are the next option.

                    Like you I struggle at work with the screen time and AC. Hoping they will help.

                    My NHS consultant has them on his treatment plan, he's been very supportive,, so I may get some help funding them but not sure how that works. If not I'll pay the lot myself.

                    Northampton is about 2 hours on the train for me but more then happy to travel to solve this. Work have been excellent and I've been allowed extra time of work to attend appointments etc.
                    You are lucky you have understanding bosses. Mine are not. How are the PRP drops going?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alix View Post

                      You are lucky you have understanding bosses. Mine are not. How are the PRP drops going?
                      Very early days so hard to call. Only been a couple of weeks. But staying positive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by quattroboy View Post

                        Very early days so hard to call. Only been a couple of weeks. But staying positive.
                        That's great. I'm staying positive as well. I looked up where exactly Northampton is, and it's only one hour by train from London, I had thought it was further than that. So I made an appointment to get scleral lenses at the EyePrintPro place. I'm not giving up on them just yet.

                        I've also found a surgeon in London that does CCH surgery so I'm going to see him as well.

                        Comment

                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Biggrin :D Wink ;) Rolleyes :rolleyes: Tongue :p Cool :cool: Redface :o Confused :confused: Eek :eek: Frown :( Mad :mad:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X