X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autologous Serum Eyedrops in UK

Hello,
    Has anyone got treatment with Autologous Serum Eyedrops in UK?

I thought these were a bit too OTT for NHS but as there seems to be growing info about their effectiveness I'm looking into it. There is information provided about this treatment on NHS sites.

Ta
    Bruce
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Bruce

Good luck to you! I have yet to find a doctor in the UK who is prepared to let me have autologous serum drops made up. I've been told that they are only an option for people with very severe cases. Because my eyes are no longer very dry (due to the fact that I'm using Restasis which I obtain myself over the internet, not on the NHS!) I'm not considered a serious enough case, despite having constant severe burning pain in my eyes.

Which doctor are you currently seeing? Have you mentioned it to him / her and what was their response?

Helen

Comment

thats a load of nonsense

Hi Helen26,
      I'm not really seeing any doctor about my dry eye at the moment. I was just going to put out feelers for information before approaching my GP about it. I'm probably in the same boat as you, though. Mine isnt severe but it hasn't responded well to any treatments so far. I thought due to suffering for 2.5 years I may be allowed to get it,
      I'm a bit disappointed with your experience. I've emailed my optometrist to see if he has heard of it or heard of anyone on it. I suppose going private is an option if its NHS funding which is the problem. Guess that would cost a few hundred though
      Rgs,
      Bruce

Comment

Yes, they are expensive to have made up privately. I looked into it once and I think the cost was something like £1,200 for 3 months supply!

Comment

Not approved

My Optometrist said they did not work anyway?

Comment

I wouldnt bother trying to get them in the UK, go straight to spain, alicante-

Ive written my experiance here on PRP- which is better than normal serum drops, http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4198

Anyway its cheap doing it this way 50 euros for a 3/4 month supply, they are easy to get- you just go along and say you want it, you will have a consultation and your mucin level will be tested.

I stayed about 2 minutes walk away.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

sazy

How are you going on the drops. Are you still using them?

I meant to check up with you a month or so back when we discussed it then.

Hope you are seeing some improvement.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Not available

Further to initial message I got a reply from the Blood transfusion service in Scotland:

"We do not provide this service and are not licenced to do so. As far as I am aware it is not available in any hospital in Scotland."

So that's that!

Bruce

Comment

Autologous serum in UK

Yes they are available in the UK I had my first batch delivered yesterday. It does cost the NHS thousands to produce this serum and so it is a battle to have it prescribed. Mine was prescribed by Moorfields if it is any help.

If you are able to get referred to a good eye hospital then they will be able to prove that it is the last resort for you and then the NHS will get into motion.

Good Luck

Comment

My local PCT have approved it for me but I am still awaiting the first blood screening tests so I have nothing to report as yet.

I have `battled' with dry eye & blepharitis for years (with intermittent bouts of iritis but that's another story). I agree that it is a procedure of last resort for many patients. If Restasis or Azasite had been more accessible in UK , I think these might have been considered first

Drops haven't had provided any relief at all and my eyes are bone dry - I am aware that this is a costly exercise but I have lost so many precious years because of the pain and discomfort that I'm not even thinking about the cost. I have spent an awful lot of my own money anyway.

Sjogrens gal - let me know how you go on.

Comment

autologous eye drops

Dear friends

I have done extensive research on how to obtain these drops even chatting to Dr Jean Harrisson of the national blood service who produce these drops .. you must first get a opthalmic refferal either nhs or privately before even being concidered.. if you would like me to answer any specific questions please post..

locky

Comment

I have an appointment to provide a blood sample next week. All being well, if the assessment is satisfactory, a donation can be made for the manufacture of the serum eye drops. This is usually a last resort treatment for patients whose condition hasn't responded to other `interventions'.

My consultant felt that I might benefit from this type of treatment and the local Primary Care Trust (PCT) agreed to fund it. The committee make their decisions on the basis of extensive & thorough medical reports and as my condition is pretty severe, I'm relieved that my local PCT agreed to this first time. PCTs in other areas may have had a different set of priorities and refused - even if a consultant thinks it may benefit his / her patient.

The whole process can take months because forms have to be signed to agree the release of funding. As Sjogrens gal said, the treatment is costly - but it is highly labour intensive.

Like all things, it will work for some but not for others so I'm hoping for the best.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear how you get on

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the criteria for using these drops and what is the hoped outcome?

Lacrimal damage, MGD, ocular surface damage, lid damage?

Temporary relief or permanent healing?

Comment

Well my symptoms are so severe now that I'm hoping just for a general improvement so I can have some quality of life.

There probably is some kind of set critera; I don't know what my scores are vis a vis the dry eye scale but I know that they tend towards the `disability end. My visual acuity is beginning to fluctuate and I suppose that is a factor also.

I have correctly followed medical advice, whether it be medication, or drug compliance, using compresses, not using them, diet etc. Still, my eyes remain bone dry and the lids are extremely inflamed inside - with eyelashes growing out at several angles from both top & bottom lids. I'm like a piece of creative art.

The consultant hopes that the serum will improve the symptoms, the ocular surface will heal and there will be better tear stability. He uses the word `healing' but he is cautious about what he means by that - which I think is wise.

Comment

Good luck with this Sjorgens Gal & Irish Eyes-i know little about the procedure but it sounds very promising!

Comment

Working...
                              X