This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sam

I hope you are getting on OK these days.

Comment

Irish Eyes,

Please keep us posted. I know you have suffered for so long.

Praying for the best,
      Melissa
      pianolady

Comment

Thank you so much Melissa.

Comment

Autologous Serum Drops

Autologous serum drops are naturally anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and contains nutrients necessary for maintaining eye health. An ideal formula for those of us who do not produce normal tear flow. I started using it after I developed persistent corneal defects, the ones that heal, but would soon break down again. Using the drops expedited the healing process, and now I use it to ensure my cornea does not break down again. Also, it is the best "artificial tear" available.

I know a guy in Germany who makes his own, using a centrifuge he bought on eBay. He has a friend (a nurse) who extract his blood and separates the serum, and uses the 100% concentrate serum drops. (I would not recommend due to the possibility of contamination.) But the process is not that complicated, and it should really be readily available to anyone who needs it. (but obviously not I live in Basel, Switzerland, and my doctor here recommends using it regularly as I would artificial tears, and my eye conditions have been better than ever.

Miki

Originally posted by jlg_uk View Post
          I'll be interested to hear how you get on

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the criteria for using these drops and what is the hoped outcome?

Lacrimal damage, MGD, ocular surface damage, lid damage?

Temporary relief or permanent healing?

Comment

The NHS PCT approved trials of autologous serum because my eyes were severely dry and nothing was helping.

It's about 6 weeks since I started using the serum. I was thrilled to feel a difference immediately but then things started to go backwards a little; the blepharitis seemed to take a turn for the worse and of course that depressed me.

However, I use a weak steroid intermittantly and that seems to have helped turn things around. It's slow but I do believe things are more comfortable than they were - although they were pretty bad indeed.

Travelling is a bit of a pain because the drops have to be kept frozen until you need to use them. They survived a long drive down to London by putting them in a Thermos flask full of ice. I haven't as yet tried to make a plane journey but I know special permission must be sought so that the drops could be placed in a freezer. I imagine that the low cost airlines would see this as a chance to make a few pounds so I may have to rethink my options with that one. We'll see.

So - reasonably good so far although it's slow and any improvement in symptoms is a plus. The consultant hasn't examined my eyes since I started using the serum so it will be interesting to see if he reports on any progress.

Comment

Working...
            X