This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up with Red Eyelids/Sore Eyes

Its been over 2 years since I stopped an 8 week course of isotretinoin (accutate) for oily/acne skin.

I had sore red eyes for a long period of time after stopping the course, however they slowly got better to the point that about a year ago they were completely better, I was back wearing lenses OK etc and had none of the previous symptoms, no sore eyes/redness etc.

Almost overnight my eyes became very red/painful and the problems started again. For the past year they have not improved at all. I have tried to think what I did differently which could've started the problems again, the only thing I can think of is that I moved offices at work around the same time - could this be linked?

I have seen a number of opthamologists (with little sucess), the most recent being Michel Guillon in London who was fantastic, however he has said there is very little up with my eyes as such as far as he can see. I am one of those 'difficult to diagnose' cases where nothing appears to be that out of the ordinary.

He has said that I have mild bleph and that my eyelids are inflammed. My upper eyelids especially have almost a red line across them. I have searched the net and my lids are identical to that of a user on here (see pic) ...

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7218

I have tried lid scrubs, cold compresses, hot compresses, thick gel at nightime, preservative free drops in the day etc... all with no improvement. I have also tried anti-histamine drops which give some very minimal relief but still the redness. Nothing seems to work grr !

As it stands at the minute I am using theratears nutrition (3rd month) and don't use any lubricant in my eyes. They feel slightly better for not hammering eye drops all day. I have been using anti-histamine drops from time to time and use the lid scrub pads morning and evening.

I'm at a loss as to what to do ? Could it be an allergy ? I use the computer throughout the day and in the eve which i'm sure makes it worse. I do wear lenses a couple of times a week but can't wear them for too long (one day disposable).

I have another appointment with Mr Guillon in a few weeks, but this is really, really getting me down, especially when I had got better and bang they have gone back to the way they were? A previous opthamologist who has seen me when I first had problems and then after I had problems for the second time said that it looks different, i.e. it is something else causing the problem than from the initial problem.

I would be very grateful for anyone's insight/advice or steps to take next, need to get to the root of this problem.

Thanks
    Edit/Delete Message

air conditioning?

I hope you are all better by now. Could it be air conditioning at your new work? Maybe the heating system was different at your old job and the new one is drying out your eyes.

Comment

Nope still the same

On steroids now

Comment

I myself have very dry eyes and eyelids, worse than the pic. Eyelids itch, and salty water can sting them.

It DEFINITELY has been caused by computer use (in fact I long ago made a computer monitor pain site based on my story, including forum. Some people on the forum posted that using projectors at home gave them some relief, but the working day at their jobs still posed problems)

Anyway, my lids (outer) appear reddish purple.
        The inner (underparts) are very red.

I've been experimenting with some sample creams I have, such as Rachel Perry ginseng anti-wrinkle, Aquaphor & Eucerin [original], pure avocado butter, Novitra, Hope's relief cream.

I, too, have been surfing for a solution like yourself.

I found a humongous thread wherein a number of people stated that anti-fungal Lamisil (or neem oil) helped them (but I'd be scared to try that on myself since I think mine is more a burn/allergy to computer fluresence, rather than fungal).

Some others were helped by 1% hydrocortisone (note that CamoCare makes a cortisone-free simulator cream).

Others cited various stuff such as aquaphor, blistex, and "obsessively eyewitness".

I then researched for sites giving reviews of top anti-dryness creams.
        They gave good reviews to expensive stuff such as CellLife (containing stem cells), Earth Science Cellagen, Glycolix, and another one containing stem cells - I forget the name.

IMO, it stands to reason that the most healing creams would be those containing stem cells (and/or hyaluronic acid, and/or lactic acid, and/or glycolic acid).

But for starters, I suggest trying Eucerin original, or fragrance-free Neutrogena, if you can get samples of them. They're both very good stuff. Then take it from there, such as trying hydrocortisone/or/camocare soothing/or/camocare repair creams/etc., or/Avalon-organics Coenzyme CoQ10 wrinkle serum. (as for myself, it's still an experiment in progress, and I'm not yet ready to take the step to buy expensive stem-cell creams.
        Last edited by Minni; 16-Mar-2010, 19:22.
        CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

thanks - still no joy for me, so so so frustrated.

Comment

My daughter has blocked meibomian glands due to rosacea and seb derm, steering well clear of perfume and preservative topicals. Even Thames tap water inflames. http://rosacea-support.org/community/ Also suspecting increasing sensitivity to eye drop preservatives (you are on FML?).

So there's some possibles. Meibom insufficiency due to accutane, unrestored? Did Michel Guillon say your tear film oily component was good?

I was back wearing lenses OK etc and had none of the previous symptoms, no sore eyes/redness etc. Almost overnight my eyes became very red/painful and the problems started again.
            Search optometrist sites for contact lens overwear, lens types. I have this same red line under upper lids from contact lens wear, with some dry eye, vascularisation; nasty inflammation only when I stopped wearing lenses, some MG atrophy. I know it's difficult for Michel Guillon to examine upper MGs but did he confirm they are functioning? Have you got state of the art permeable contacts? Are you sure you don't look cool and brainy just wearing glasses? Are you wearing the sporty prescription wraparounds sometimes?

Have you tested for allergens likely at the new office/house? What happens when you are elsewhere?

If it is eczema dermatitis on outer lids, minni's advice on OTC creams agrees with our derm - Eucerin, non-perfume Neutrogena. Some use glycerin, Vaseline, oil eg coconut, olive they don't react to.

I am noticing in your link they also suspect fungal infection (check contact lens solutions Bausch & Lomb Renu infection history), tiny filaments lurk undetected.

Good for my very mild case: Omega 3 flaxseed oils, humidity, lower computer screen to reduce eye surface exposed. Bad: dry computer rooms, dusty computers, air conditioning, brings on crazy blinking, sandpaper feeling.

Very sorry to hear it's worse. Let us know what's happening.
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 22-Mar-2010, 02:55.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi Minni,

i am 24, male, no contacts, eat healthy, no LASIK, no medications.

you said that computer is the main culprit. I think so too. Since i bought a 22 inch Samsung LCD monitor,the one with Fluorescent lamp backlight, initially i have constant migraine. But the migraine goes off after half a year ( imagine paying it to suffer half a year) and after that i have Dry eye and MGD. Been to several eye doctors...And I start to think that maybe the fluroscent lamp and the chemical from the monitor is actually irritating my eyes. Also I suspect that maybe i am very allergic to the irritants and that is why the irritants are causing the inflammation of the meibomian gland and that result in dry eye. Last two months, i started to have this chest tightness feeling. So now my main suspect is the allergic reaction from fluorescent lamp.

Read this and you will be surprise....
              http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre..._sees_the.html

Would it be wise if i invest in a LED backlight Monitor?

Comment

Interesting post Chelvis7 --

I have always had trouble with flurescent lighting
                My present flare up (after 2 years having my Bleph/mgd/des under control) has happened following 2 whole days in the Birmingham exibition center - a huge place - seeing the motorhome/caravan exhibition all under flurescent lights
                The flights there and back did not help either
                I have not been right since and am back on doxy + steroid ointments

Comment

Originally posted by Minni View Post
                  I myself have very dry eyes and eyelids, worse than the pic. Eyelids itch, and salty water can sting them.

It DEFINITELY has been caused by computer use (in fact I long ago made a computer monitor pain site based on my story, including forum. Some people on the forum posted that using projectors at home gave them some relief, but the working day at their jobs still posed problems)

Anyway, my lids (outer) appear reddish purple.
                  The inner (underparts) are very red.

I've been experimenting with some sample creams I have, such as Rachel Perry ginseng anti-wrinkle, Aquaphor & Eucerin [original], pure avocado butter, Novitra, Hope's relief cream.

I, too, have been surfing for a solution like yourself.

I found a humongous thread wherein a number of people stated that anti-fungal Lamisil (or neem oil) helped them (but I'd be scared to try that on myself since I think mine is more a burn/allergy to computer fluresence, rather than fungal).

Some others were helped by 1% hydrocortisone (note that CamoCare makes a cortisone-free simulator cream).

Others cited various stuff such as aquaphor, blistex, and "obsessively eyewitness".

I then researched for sites giving reviews of top anti-dryness creams.
                  They gave good reviews to expensive stuff such as CellLife (containing stem cells), Earth Science Cellagen, Glycolix, and another one containing stem cells - I forget the name.

IMO, it stands to reason that the most healing creams would be those containing stem cells (and/or hyaluronic acid, and/or lactic acid, and/or glycolic acid).

But for starters, I suggest trying Eucerin original, or fragrance-free Neutrogena, if you can get samples of them. They're both very good stuff. Then take it from there, such as trying hydrocortisone/or/camocare soothing/or/camocare repair creams/etc., or/Avalon-organics Coenzyme CoQ10 wrinkle serum. (as for myself, it's still an experiment in progress, and I'm not yet ready to take the step to buy expensive stem-cell creams.
                  Hi i have the exact same problem... inner eyelids very red and inflammed (looks mostly like inflammed blood vessels), slightly inflammed on rim of under upper eyelids.

The left eye has the worst inner eyelid inflammtion and consequently it is the worst eye. Ive tried everything, unfortuntely nothing available at the moment helps it.. it just seems chronic.

This lies the problem of dry eye, inner eyelid inflammtion. BTW ive also been told by doctors im not that bad but i feel awful.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Minni -

From your symptoms, it sounds like you have ocular rosacea. With this condition, you need to avoid creams that have the following as it will exacerbate your condition and damage your skin

DO NOT USE CREAMS THAT CONTAIN ANY OF THE BELOW:
                    1. Steroids or cortisone cream.
                    2. Glycolic, stearic or lactic acids

Try to be really, really gentle with yourself as rosacea skin is highly reactive.

Good luck
                    Gretchen

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post
                      Minni -

From your symptoms, it sounds like you have ocular rosacea. With this condition, you need to avoid creams that have the following as it will exacerbate your condition and damage your skin

DO NOT USE CREAMS THAT CONTAIN ANY OF THE BELOW:
                      1. Steroids or cortisone cream.
                      2. Glycolic, stearic or lactic acids

Try to be really, really gentle with yourself as rosacea skin is highly reactive.

Good luck
                      Gretchen
                      Uh, I appreciate your tips, but It's not Rosacea, rather definitely from COMPUTER.
                      Or if it is Rosacea, it's not "classic" but rather computer-caused.

It's NOT genetic (rather environmental). Did you read the PDF book Black On White? It explains how many Swedish doctors were full of BS, telling their patients they had "rosacea" when it was really computers. Also read Nordstrom's Invisible Disease wherein several doctors were SO frustrated by the cover-ups of their associates. They knew the truth, having seen it under the microscope. The truth was that the "rosacea" victims resembled skin of fishermen exposed to DECADES of sun.
                      ...I just checked my files, and here's some more details, though of course the below is a drop in the bucket of the entire picture:
                      Lagerholm, a histopathologist at Karolinska Skin Clinic noted changes in the skin of VDU users, usually associated with radiation, xrays, or seamen exposed to decades of UV. When his 1986 article made waves, Swedish authorities and "tech experts" claimed "no dangerous radiation from computer screens" which disillusioned Lagerholm. He retired, albeit sending a note to the Swedish Medical Assoc., listing analyses of skin formations of VDU users, proving them UNRELATED to rosacea...
                      Note that while Rosacea does NOT run in my family, that's not to say that the computer burn of my eyelids didn't turn into an autoimmune condition. Like, maybe the body screams, "uh oh, there's pain from the burn. So make sure the already overactive immune system kicks in, and set up continuous inflammations in perpetual motion".

I've been considering CamoCare's under-eye therapy.

I'll grant you that I am nervous re: Acids in creams, since acids are very irritating and allergenic - YES even to those with computer "burn" (versus rosacea). After all, aren't acids & "hot stuff" irritating to burns as well?

But who's to know whether maybe the hyaluronic acid and grape leaves (and so forth) wouldn't counteract any allergenic effects? Similar to the way honey offsets citrus in cough drops, etc. etc.
                      Last edited by Minni; 08-Apr-2010, 01:39.

sigpic

Comment

I hope you are all better by now. Could it be air conditioning at your new work? Maybe the heating system was different at your old job and the new one is drying out your eyes.
                        Replica Handbags
                        Christian Louboutin

Comment

Originally posted by Minni View Post
                          Uh, I appreciate your tips, but It's not Rosacea, rather definitely from COMPUTER.
                          Or if it is Rosacea, it's not "classic" but rather computer-caused.

It's NOT genetic (rather environmental). Did you read the PDF book Black On White? It explains how many Swedish doctors were full of BS, telling their patients they had "rosacea" when it was really computers. Also read Nordstrom's Invisible Disease wherein several doctors were SO frustrated by the cover-ups of their associates. They knew the truth, having seen it under the microscope. The truth was that the "rosacea" victims resembled skin of fishermen exposed to DECADES of sun.
                          ...I just checked my files, and here's some more details, though of course the below is a drop in the bucket of the entire picture:
                          Lagerholm, a histopathologist at Karolinska Skin Clinic noted changes in the skin of VDU users, usually associated with radiation, xrays, or seamen exposed to decades of UV. When his 1986 article made waves, Swedish authorities and "tech experts" claimed "no dangerous radiation from computer screens" which disillusioned Lagerholm. He retired, albeit sending a note to the Swedish Medical Assoc., listing analyses of skin formations of VDU users, proving them UNRELATED to rosacea...
                          Note that while Rosacea does NOT run in my family, that's not to say that the computer burn of my eyelids didn't turn into an autoimmune condition. Like, maybe the body screams, "uh oh, there's pain from the burn. So make sure the already overactive immune system kicks in, and set up continuous inflammations in perpetual motion".

I've been considering CamoCare's under-eye therapy.

I'll grant you that I am nervous re: Acids in creams, since acids are very irritating and allergenic - YES even to those with computer "burn" (versus rosacea). After all, aren't acids & "hot stuff" irritating to burns as well?

But who's to know whether maybe the hyaluronic acid and grape leaves (and so forth) wouldn't counteract any allergenic effects? Similar to the way honey offsets citrus in cough drops, etc. etc.
                          It could be a burn, but anything can cause rosacea if you are prone to it, espically UV light. If you have vascularization and inflammtion, its likely to be rosacea, if you have another appearance, it probably isnt. roasaces is auto immune.

Ive never heard of this though, could be true i guess, but if its the computer screens and nothing genetic predisposing you, why doesnt everyone get it and the screens get recalled?
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Is Michel Gillon an optician or an ophthalmologist?

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
                              Ive never heard of this though, could be true i guess, but if its the computer screens and nothing genetic predisposing you, why doesnt everyone get it and the screens get recalled?
                              If only [sigh] OLEDs (organic LEDs) were affordable to commoners.

Those have capability to darken backlights, similar to those good/old fashioned screens of the 1980s, which had black background with green letters.

I also wish the OLEDs were not only affordable, but also capable of having their pixels thinned (similar to 300 dpi vs. 600 dpi printers)

Of course, I can never know for sure if they're 100% OK, unless I'd try them. For all I know there may be tons of chemicals... or something else unanticipated

As for the rosacea, while people can call anything anything, which boils down to semantics, still...

...it's been documented that Lagerholm was extremely frustrated that his lying colleagues in Sweden persisted in covering up their lies, and calling the skin of computer-compromised victims "rosacea" when it was really BURN (like fishermens' BURN) - as seen under his microscope.

If you read the online PDF book Black On White, by Granlund-Lind, and Invisible Disease, by Nordstrom, you'll see the extent of the lies of the medical-industrial complex.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X