No announcement yet.

I have made a discovery about eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check my comment about 6 down it gives a link.

Comment

Sorry Sophie I thought you wanted saline drops now I see you were asking about serum drops.

Serum drops need to be compounded so you need to find a compounding pharmacy that has the equipment to make them. Your Dr has to prescribe them first though. If you live in a small place you may have to travel to a larger center as there is not enough demand in the smaller cities to justify the cost of the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
        I have suffered from severe dry eye for 7 years now. I have all four puncta blocked and regularily use goggle glasses, eyedrops etc. If there is something out there for dry eye I have tried it (pretty much) What I have recently discovered however has been a game changer for me. In the past I have read about people whose doctors told them to 'quit putting stuffin your eyes and they will feel better' and I always thought...yeah, well you try to live with my eyes for a day and see how far you get.

As time went on I increasingly have developed intolerances to whatever I put in my eyes. Gels, preservatives, contact lense solutions what have you. Systane ultra was my go to eye drop but recently even that did not seem to aleviate my burning grittiness for more than 20 minutes. In desperation (and to save some $$$) I started to use some of the non-preserved saline that I had purchased when I tried scleral lenses. Well, what do you know, my eyes feel ever so much better. This tells me that at some level, and it wasn't really obvious, I had also developed an intolerence to non-preserved Systane Ultra. My greatest fear had been realized.

Not only has this discovery saved me a fortune and at the same time made me more comfortable, it is also practically free. What I am using are the 0.9% saline nebulizer Inhalation solution dispensing cartridges available in 5 or 3 ml. 3ml is probably prefect as they are easily used up withing a week. I am able to cap them with the lid off of a non-preserved Biontears (for Addipak) and systane or Refresh work (for Ritedose) dispenser. As long as I use them up within a week and keep the tip clean it is all good. I have tried 2 types either Addipak or Ritedose by Mylan. If , on occasion, I feel that the saline is drying my eyes too much or disrupting my tear film I sneak in a drop of some other lubricant that I have not overused and I am back on track, as long as I keep it to about 2 or 3 times a day. Plus I use the serum drops in the am and pm.

A box of 100 of the 5ml cartridges was $28 Cdn dollars and my local druggist ordered them in. The UPC code is 03786 98601 for the Rite Dose 5ml vials if you want a druggist to order them in. Not sure about the 3 ml but I found it online under Mylan.

For 'not putting stuff in your eyes' this is as good as it gets.
        I have just stumbled across this thread. I am using hylo-forte and sometimes my eye burn worse than before, so wondered if using them 3x daily is annoying my eye a little

Comment

My findings is that anything that burns my eyes for more than 5 seconds does not go in it. You will need to be the judge of whether they are doing more harm that good. If they sting for a few seconds and then your eye feels better I would guess they are helping. If they sting for a minute and your eyes are no better I would find some other drop.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
            My findings is that anything that burns my eyes for more than 5 seconds does not go in it. You will need to be the judge of whether they are doing more harm that good. If they sting for a few seconds and then your eye feels better I would guess they are helping. If they sting for a minute and your eyes are no better I would find some other drop.
            How are your eyes FG?

I have stopped with the Hyloforte as they were drying my eyes out. I am no longer putting any lubricant drops in. My eyes do still dry out at night though.

Comment

Working...
            X