Hormone replacement info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hormone replacement info

I am digging into hormones, and thought I'd put this article out there because I found it to be a really good overview of hormone replacement. Don't be fooled by the title; it covers way more than bio-identical hormones, and even touches on hormone testing. http://www.jabfm.org/content/24/2/202.long
    Last edited by PG; 06-Mar-2017, 20:45.

And here is an excellent article on sex hormones and dry eye.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../cxo.12147/pdf

"Current evidence indicates that it may be an imbalance of relative levels of androgens, oestrogens and progesterones in the circulation that triggers (or once triggered, alters the outcome of) inflammatory processes within the ocular structures of the lacrimal functional unit and forms the basis for the pathogenesis of dry eye. It remains unclear as to how the different sex hormones interact to regulate the functional activity of ocular tissues to provide homeostasis of the ocular surface. As much of the evidence in this area is derived from animal studies, caution needs to be exercised when applying these findings to human models, as for example, rodent animal species do not synthesize sex hormones in local tissues, as is the case in humans. Nevertheless, as it stands, the literature indicates that the development of therapeutic strategies to target the pathogenesis of dry eye disease may be possible through the alleviation of endocrine imbalances."

The article is dated 2014. All authors appear to be associated with the University of New South Wales, Australia (Optometry, not Opthamology).
    Last edited by PG; 06-May-2017, 15:18.

Comment

I did try sublingual DHEA supplementation, once for two weeks and once for three days (2.5mg; anything more had a deleterious effect on my body in general). Both times this increased oil production AND overall eye inflammation for me.
      Last edited by PG; 25-May-2017, 21:40.

Comment

I reduced the DHEA dosage again, cutting a 5mg tablet in four. I took it for three days (trying the pulsing method) with a goal of getting the adrenal glands to start producing more testosterone. My opthamologist said that reduction of this hormone (due to menopause) is likely the reason that my eyes became noticeably symptomatic. I think I will take DHEA once a month, but I am still experimenting with the dosage. An important solution to menopausal symptoms is to improve the functioning of the adrenal glands. This actually seems to be working for me. My eyes are improving; it is helping more than anything else has. And I can tell that I have more testosterone in my system. It is surprisingly pretty obvious.

And as an aside, DHEA supplements state that a doctor should monitor. Both my family MD and gyno were not interested in monitoring. I think that perhaps only a Natropath or Integrative Medicine doctor would do so.

Comment

Hi PG. Am glad this is working for you, and it is working with a minimum dosage. Too much can have undesirable and sometimes dangerous side effects, which sounds like you are well aware, and likely the reason it should be monitored by a doctor. But taken in moderation, if you can get some material relief, it's certainly well worth it.

Hope you continue to see even more improvement!

Comment

I found clinical trials where they gave menopausal age women DHEA oral supplements and their bodies used it to make mostly testosterone, and some estrogen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18394829
            https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14551720
            http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...13590009167703

Comment

Still doing quite well with this approach, symptoms decreasing. Down to two warm compresses a day, no more moisture chamber glasses at work, reduced eye drop usage, not waking up from eye discomfort, don't spend all day thinking about my eyes. And logging on here isn't part of my daily routine anymore.

Comment

Hi PG. It's great news that you have found the cause of your dry eyes, I am truly so happy for you! That's quite an improvement you've experienced so far. This could provide some hope to those who may also be suffering from dry eyes due to hormones, where this potential cause might not cross their minds until they see this thread. Thanks for the update, and hope to keep getting encouraging posts from you, as you continue to progress.

Comment

My improved symptom level continues (as in notably reduced, not gone), and I have identified two things that cause setbacks for me: 1) less than 100% hydration 2) alcohol, aside from it's dehydrating effects.

These articles indicate that moderate alcohol consumption increases estrogen, and promotes conversion ("aromatization") of testosterone to estrogen.
                  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...tb00642.x/full
                  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9726268

Comment

May I ask, where did you find the dhea supplement? Product and where did you buy it?

Comment

I use Douglas Laboratories DHEA 5 mg micronized and cut it into four pieces. I buy it on Amazon.

Comment

PG

Hormones play a big role in my ocular rosacea. I'm only 28 but am very sensitive to hormonal changes that occur throughout my cycle. I can be fine until the week before my period when estrogen and progesterone spike and I flare. My lid margins become red and my tears burn. Then when the hormones drop and I get my period, I'm fine again. I'm now on a low estrogen birth control continuously to try to level out the hormones. But I agree with you that hormones play a HUGE role for some.

So glad you feel better

Comment

I have taken DHEA for seven months now. A month ago I increased to 1.25 mg per day and got mixed results. It reduced my eye drop usage to 2-3 times per day, and I think returned my eye symptoms to where they were before I was diagnosed. (Also, this has solved my insomnia problem entirely.) However, I now have some hairs around the chin area and get more irritated than I normally would. This means too much testosterone, so I am reducing to 1.25 mg every three days.

In any case, all of this tells me that my dry eye IS caused by hormones. I have finally found a MD on my insurance plan who prescribes bio-identical hormones in my area. This was a difficult hunt indeed. My gynecologist will not monitor the DHEA and does not prescribe testosterone, and is not aware that there is a connection between hormones and dry eye. So the doc I have had for 25 years now needs to be replaced. Too bad I had to suffer so very long to get here.
                          Last edited by PG; 03-Jan-2018, 21:35.

Comment

I wound up cutting a 5 mg pill into 8 pieces, and taking one piece 4-5 times a week. Still working on the dosing. I am down to 1-2 eye drops per day, and have to remember to use them. Warm compresses vary, 1-2 per day.

I am now starting on bio-identical hormones containing testosterone, DHEA, estrogen and progesterone -- a super small dose of each prescribed by a MD. This is a creme. Not too sure about those last two, but we shall see how it goes. Seems to be all about balance. There are plenty of warnings about these hormones, but if I stop taking the DHEA for a few days my eyes begin to deteriorate. So I will keep taking hormones since the dry eye seriously decreases my quality of life, and I stop living my life and think about my eyes all day. I figure it is better to have professional guidance. The MD is covered by insurance, but the hormones are not.

Related post: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...am-not-kidding
                            Last edited by PG; 03-Jan-2018, 21:59.

Comment

Hi PG
                              Thanks a lot for sharing and happy for you that you have finally found relief.
                              bio-idential hormones: Are they plant seeds based? Did doctor mention possible risks? Thank you!

Last edited by MGD1701; 04-Jan-2018, 05:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X