Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcon Tears Naturale ii Discontinued? What's a good replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcon Tears Naturale ii Discontinued? What's a good replacement?

I've been using the Tears Naturale vials for years. Love them. Well I guess they are discontinued because if someone has them they are $70. It's the only one I really like, not too sticky and the vials are big. Any ideas? I only need something light to medium that doesn't cost a million dollars. Think of just getting purlilens since I don't use it that much. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi Mewkiss. I've also been using Tears Naturale vials for years too! The good news is I believe Alcon has renamed the entire Tears Naturale line of eye drops "Genteal Tears", which use the same active ingredients: Dextran 70 1% and Hypromellose 2910 0.3%. The bad news is seems like the price per vial has increased a bit.

I use a few drops of Genteal Tears preservative-free vials now in my scleral lenses, and it is indeed the same as the former Tears Naturale vials. There's also a generic CVS version, and online CVS also has 20% off right now. Hope this info helps!

https://www.amazon.com/Genteal-Tears.../dp/B01LNQ323Q

http://m.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/...7?skuId=538397

Comment

Hi Hokucat. After I posted this I saw another post from may. What is it with people discontinuing eye products. I don't have DES per se but my eyes get dry and I love these. Just bought a box from ebay to try but I'll check out CVS and see. I still have a box of 60 so I'm ok. People on ebay selling for $70. Nuts. What is the CVS generic called? Oh I see it. Thanks

Also 20% off and free shipping with subscribe and save. Thanks
      Last edited by Mewkiss; 18-Jun-2017, 20:41.

Comment

Hokucat Thanks for the info on CVS brand. Signed up for subscription. See how it goes. I seem to remember trying the Genteal a few yeas ago and it was too thick and was like glue in my eyes. I think I'll also get some Purilens to have around. Still having sticker shock. Did anyone ever find out why they discontinued this or Unisol 4?

Comment

You're welcome, Mewkiss! If the CVS brand works just as well, the 20% off and free shipping with the subscribe and save looks like the most economical and convenient way to go.

I bought the Genteal Tears vials (Tears Naturale equivalent-vials are same big size too) at Bed, Bath and Beyond using the $5 off $15 and 20% off one item coupons...they let you use as many at a time, plus take their expired coupons too. If there are manufacturers coupons, they let you use those too. So BBB with their coupons is another way to get these drops for a better price. I only use four drops a day total in my sclerals and none when not wearing my lenses. Otherwise I would do the CVS subscribe like you, good idea!

Don't know why Alcon discontinued Unisol, it caused a major panic among scleral lens users when they quietly discontinued it in 2015. Thank goodness Purilens is available, and we have options to replace our beloved Tears Naturale.
          Last edited by Hokucat; 20-Jun-2017, 18:54.

Comment

Mewkiss, at ACLens.com Genteal Tears vials currently selling for $10.95...that's the best retail price by at least $2, compared to most other online retailers. There are a few coupon codes out there too, so you can get it for even less plus free shipping if you order $50. I order from them periodically, they are reliable sellers.

https://www.aclens.com/Search/GetSea...servative+free

https://www.offers.com/aclens/?path=...ork=g&source=s

Comment

Well I finally opened the box of the CVS version of these drops and tried them.

The good news is, to me, they feel exactly the same as the Tears Naturale/Genteal Tears artificial tears.

The bad news is, the CVS vials contain 1/3 less than the Genteal Tears vials, and the way the vials are made you cannot recap them to save for later.

So at $9.99 a box (32 vials) for the CVS brand, and ~$12.99 a box (36 vials) for Genteal Tears, unless you only use each vial once, Genteal Tears is likely more cost effective because of the large size vials and ability to recap.

Comment

I've been looking for Genteal and I see the only vials say Moderate. Is that the equivalent to the Tears Naturale? I don't need it all the time, just as needed if my allergies are acting up. BTW. I bought some Tears Naturale on ebay and wasn't paying attention and it's from Malaysia. I read a comment somewhere later saying it was junk. I'll get my money back from Ebay but has anyone else come across this? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, the Genteal Tears are exactly the same as the Tears Naturele. I’ve compared the ingredients, and have been using a few drops of the Genteal in my sclerals for several months now, and it feels exactly the same as Tears Naturele did. The Tears Naturele was by far my most favorite drop, so I’m sure I could tell if the Genteal was different.

Comment

Thanks Hokucat. I actually spoke to Alcon this morning and she confirmed the moderate was the same. I happened to mention twist off caps and she said non are resealable but we know better. So glad I got this set although I'd like to find something cheaper. They give us less for 3/4 of the price. They think we all have so much money. I'm also to see what I get from Malaysia. Looks the same. Box etc. I'll let you know. Thanks again. I'm glad I stocked up on the Tears Naturale so I have a full box still. I'm kinda of sick of pharmaceutical companies not caring about the patients needs.

Comment

I just found out about Alcon Tears Naturale ii Discontinued when I went to order from well.ca.

It is my fave as it does not irritate the eyes. I lucked out when I checked Walmart Canada and I bought the last 4 @ $10 each. 30ml vials. Experation date Jan 2021. It appears that Genteal is a good replacement.

Comment

Yes, Tears Naturele was rebranded as Genteal Tears. Bion Tears is also very similar. All these are made by Alcon and have the main active ingredients Dextran 70 0.1% and Hypromellose 2910 0.3%. Like you, I find the ingredients in these drops do not irritate my eyes.

If you have not already seen this, here’s a handy eye drop reference list on the Dry Eye Shop website which lists the active ingredients and preservatives (where applicable) for several brands of eye drops:

https://dryeyeshop.com/pages/lubrica...reference-list

Comment

Working...
                        X