No announcement yet.

Fingerprick Autologous Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a bit of a commitment so I was on the fence before I began. Glad I did though.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to artificial tears.. my use of them is more about the effect they have on me of apparently pulling hard meibum from the glands.

The blood drops are soothing but not necessarily lubricating, so artificial tear drop use might not change (unless the blood drops help get you to the point of producing more of your own good tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Meibum Ian View Post
      It's a bit of a commitment so I was on the fence before I began. Glad I did though.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to artificial tears.. my use of them is more about the effect they have on me of apparently pulling hard meibum from the glands.

The blood drops are soothing but not necessarily lubricating, so artificial tear drop use might not change (unless the blood drops help get you to the point of producing more of your own good tears)
      Hi Ian,

Do you have a further update on the efficacy of doing the fingerprick blood tests? I am considering of trying them after getting no relief from any eye drops (and I've tried many!)

Thanks

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian MGD View Post
        Do you have a further update on the efficacy of doing the fingerprick blood tests? I am considering of trying them after getting no relief from any eye drops (and I've tried many!)
        My impression is that it helped quite a bit. I have since been using PRP drops instead though, which should be better still.

Comment

@Meibum Ian Did you get the PRP drops on the NHS?

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
            @Meibum Ian Did you get the PRP drops on the NHS?
            No - Vissum clinic in Alicante. PRP not possible in uk, and unlikely to get autologous serum on nhs.

Comment

Ah that is not what I wanted to hear, I do not have the time or the means to go there and get this done. Thank you for the info anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Alix View Post
                Ah that is not what I wanted to hear, I do not have the time or the means to go there and get this done. Thank you for the info anyway!
                FAB could be a good low cost option then

Comment

Meibum Ian PhoenixEyes @quattroboy

Hi both i'm currently taking ikervis 3x a day and steriod drops (softacourt) 1x a day.

Do you think it's safe to also do FAB 4x times a day on top?

Reason i'm looking at this is due to suffering from stabbing / dull eye pain and headaches. Especially if i go into the office (air con, overhead lighting and screen use). I think my corneal nerves have become over sensitive due to major dryness sat in the office over several months.

Comment

Hey everyone, I wasn't getting notifications of PMs on this forum due to spam filter but believe I have replied to all now.

The FAB helped me a lot with my pain and seems it is still proving successful as the doctor who started the research has posted an instruction video on the Youtube channel for Moorfields Eye Hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucBGvIJwg4

It's unfortunate that serum is still hard to access in the UK due to the costs involved. I had to be referred to a different hospital and cornea ophthalmologist who could grant access to serum (Dr Rauz at Birmingham Midland Eye Center). I'm on allogeneic serum now (donated blood since they felt the ongoing inflammation in my system after the Necrolysis damage may mean my own blood isn't ideal) that I put in Zenlens sclerals, which have also helped immensely with my pain.

I still would recommend FAB to anyone struggling to get serum, so long as you follow all the precautions as shown in the instruction video. I also remember reading that whole blood (as in FAB) may have more thymosin beta 4 than serum, which may help with wound healing / pain relief, and hope the RegeneRx drop gets released globally someday. Just frustrating it takes so long for these things to get clearance, it's been years since trials were first announced but seems it's finally in Phase 3 now:
                    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301066219.html

@orange88, I replied via PM about FAB etc. but I see here you also mention the environment is also affecting your eyes. You may also consider moisture chamber glasses. I wear Ziena Verona indoors and out, with photochromatic lenses (turn from clear to dark depending on the amount of UV light), I got them from http://eyewear-accessories.co.uk/

For the screen use I installed flux software to reduce blue light, phones also have apps to reduce blue light. On my web browser I installed an addon that makes webpages have a 'dark theme' (white text on black rather than the other way around). I also increase the text size on pages using the zoom buttons on my web browser. You can also get desktop humidifiers powered by USB etc.
                    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Thank you PhoenixEyes. We are all very grateful for your post and have missed your posts.

Comment

Has anyone found serum drops to make your dry eyes worse? I'm convinced they do make it worse for me, but I wonder if it's because the nerves are being regenerated, and I'm just feeling the dryness more. Maybe my nerves just became numb to the dryness over the years and they are more sensitive now?

Comment

Hi PheonixEyes. How long did it take before fingerprick autologous blood provided some relief please?

Comment

Originally posted by lipino View Post
                            Has anyone found serum drops to make your dry eyes worse? I'm convinced they do make it worse for me, but I wonder if it's because the nerves are being regenerated, and I'm just feeling the dryness more. Maybe my nerves just became numb to the dryness over the years and they are more sensitive now?
                            I haven't had an issue, but in UK there's very tight regulations on who can make serum, which makes it very costly and difficult for sufferers to access as a result but on the plus side it is safer. An ophthalmologist told me they worked at a clinic in Europe somewhere that made serum in-house, and that because the storage of it wasn't kept fully sterile it caused problems for the patients. I think that is uncommon / unlikely, just something to consider perhaps depending on where you get the serum from.

Another idea is trying a different ratio, either more serum less saline or the opposite. I'm not sure what percentage mine is.

Your idea also makes a lot of sense though. You could only know either way by giving it more time. Hang in there and take care.

Originally posted by LindaDawn
                            Hi PheonixEyes. How long did it take before fingerprick autologous blood provided some relief please?
                            I think after a week or two of doing it 4 times a day I felt some relief. I remember distinctly a day not long after starting where I was able to go outside and keep my eyes open for far longer than usual, though I think I overdid it since I vaguely remember my eyes suffering for it after, but it certainly gave me hope and bridged a much needed gap before I could get access to serum and/or sclerals. I guess be sure to do all the other usual things still (artificial tear eye drops, moisture chamber glasses if needed etc.)
                            Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Working...
                            X