Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye and Electronic Screens Survey

Hi all,

I got some scleral lenses a couple days ago and have felt better enough to start posting again. I hope it's just a short-term solution, though it could be long-term if I'm not careful enough.

I'm curious about how many other people got dry eye from electronic screens, so I created a survey with a few questions regarding your dry eye and computer use.

Here's the link to take the survey:
    http://www.poll-maker.com/Q9G3ZXB

To see the results:
    http://www.poll-maker.com/Account-Qu...019x39172233-4

I hope to see when people decided to quit their jobs because of dry eye. I believe that many people are doing this FAR too late, well after irreversible damage has been done. If it's virtually inevitable you'll have to quit your job, you might as well do it sooner rather than later. Of course the results could be skewed, because people who come on this forum usually have moderate to severe dry eye - but maybe if 95% of people who come on here quit their jobs, then I can convince other people who may come on this forum later to "quit while they're ahead."
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Hi @pythonidler
    Glad to know that you are better.
    What is the right moment to quit our jobs? Maybe the sooner is the batter but maybe we can manage our situations for many years.Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by bobXfr View Post
      Hi @pythonidler
      Glad to know that you are better.
      What is the right moment to quit our jobs? Maybe the sooner is the batter but maybe we can manage our situations for many years.Who knows?
      Eventually we'll know what the trend is. And I'm sure some people may be able to continue working in front of a computer, especially as more advancements are made for dry eye. But for right now, I know I'm not one of those people.
      Dry Eye Survey
      IPL Doctors
      Probing Doctors

Comment

I loved your survey too bad you can't get more respondents. Maybe you should send a PM to all those young people with dry eye that are popping up on the forum inviting them to participate cause they probably aren't aware of your survey.

Another pertinent question would be at what age did you start to use electronic devices? because I think that is really relevant and sadly I think we will see the epidemic mushroom in the future as the younger generation ages.

Comment

Not we will see. it's already here. Yesterday a see a teenager (15-16 years )with MGD and glands atrophy at the ophtalmologiste.

Comment

Thank you, I filled the survey, I am one of those who had to quit the job due to severe dry eye..

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has filled out the survey thus far.

Though we only have a small sample (6 total respondents), about half the people have had to quit their jobs or drop out of school because of dry eye. And those people that quit their jobs decided to quit only when their symptoms were severe. Those same people have not returned to their jobs.
              Dry Eye Survey
              IPL Doctors
              Probing Doctors

Comment

Just took your survey, thanks for putting it out. I just wanted to add that I am currently on the verge of quitting my job and wasn't able to check off that I had quit because of DED. I did however have to cut back my hours from full time to part time due to the pain. I am 29 and worked on a computer in a pharmacy for a total of 4 years. I looked at computer screens the entire time I worked for hours straight everyday with recirculated air. I had to go into the bays and put eye drops in between helping patients. I tried to get my eye dr to fill out a LOA but did not get paperwork in on time and they were allowed to let me go. It was my second job and now I only have one job where I work in a lab and wear eye protection the entire day, otherwise I would not survive an 8 hour day. I barely can as it is and I'm looking into finding jobs that are less demanding on my eyes even though I love my job.
                Limbal staining w/ slight MGD and low tBUT

Comment

Working...
                X