Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doxycycline destroyed my gut...anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline destroyed my gut...anyone else?

10th day on 100mg 2x a day loading dose...had some of the worst lower abdominal cramps ever. Literally in a fetal position all night. Has anyone else had a really bad reaction to doxy? I know it's handled well by most people, but wow did it light me up.

I would try taking a probiotic daily while on Doxy. As others have mentioned, Doxy can destroy the gut flora overtime. I wish I would've known about Probiotics before.

I took Doxycycline (100mg per day) for two years without a probiotic, and now I'm being prescribed a Proton Pump Inhibitor (Pantoprazole) to take daily and also take a probiotic a few times a week as a result of bad indigestion/low stomach acid. It got to the point where I couldn't eat anything after 5pm or I wouldn't be able to sleep that night. Fortunately the Pantoprazole and Probiotic have helped somewhat restore my digestion, but I have to watch what I eat for dinner.

Comment

Pantoprazole is for hight stomach acid. Pantoprazole ( PPI generally ) are controversial when you use them for a long time.

Comment

Some doctors recommend 50mg each time, 1-2 times/day
        Last edited by MGD1701; 22-Apr-2018, 07:39.

Comment

Originally posted by bobXfr View Post
          Pantoprazole is for hight stomach acid. Pantoprazole ( PPI generally ) are controversial when you use them for a long time.
          Yes, I have high stomach acid (GERD), not low stomach acid sorry, so the Pantoprazole has helped. I have read conflicting info online regarding long term issues of being on Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Pantoprazole, but continue to take it as it has improved my overall quality of life greatly. Over the counter anti-acids just don't work as effectively.

I wouldn't suggest the OP get on a PPI, but I recommend taking a probiotic along with the Doxycycline as others have mentioned here before.

Comment

For the record I had gerd for years, since I was 18-34...in my 30s I started taking aciphex because no other ppi would work anymore. Then after two years I started having heartburn again here and there so I'm like, nope, there's clearly something wrong here I'm ******g with the aciphex.

So so I did an elimination diet, used apple cider vinegar to regulate my stomach acid. I started realizing the factors that caused my heartburn. here they go...eating the wrong type of food, eating too much food in one meal, not taking enough fiber to move the waste out, not drinking enough water, etc. those were the big ones. I rarely get heartburn now, I take zero heartburn meds, I don't even use the apple cider vinegar anymore. I'm not saying to come off your meds...you could have h pylori and that needs to be addressed. But I believe heartburn or gerd is a result of poor eating habits period.

Now with that said, I want to update you guys and gals...my stomach may not have been from the doxy. My wife and I just got the stomach flu or food poisoning, no clue which one...but we've been dying over here. So it was literally just a fluke that I got this gastrointeritis after a week or so on the doxy. So after I'm healed, maybe in a few months, I may try again.

I always sy ill never ever eat out again after I get sick like this and then I do...I used to be a hardcore bodybuilder, ate 6 full meals a day, never got sick and when I did, I got through it like wolverine. Not anymore...I need to start training and eating heavily again and get myself into a positive nitrogen balance. I've never felt old in my life until this year. Crazy...hope you're all doing well.

much love!

Comment

Glad to hear it wasn't worse. Hope you guys are well soon.

I was tested for H Pylori and it came back negative. It's interesting that you used to bodybuild, since I used to also work out 5 days a week and eat 4-6 large meals a day a few years back. Due to a transition to full-time work and being engaged and wedding planning I'm lucky to hit the gym twice per week now. My appetite has decreased significantly since and the indigestion issues are still an annoyance. Especially when I forget to take the Pantoprazole. I plan to get back into the gym 3-4 times per week and meal prepping again after the wedding.

How exactly did you regulate your stomach acid with apple cider vinegar? And what meal plans have worked well for you with GERD?

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
                Glad to hear it wasn't worse. Hope you guys are well soon.

I was tested for H Pylori and it came back negative. It's interesting that you used to bodybuild, since I used to also work out 5 days a week and eat 4-6 large meals a day a few years back. Due to a transition to full-time work and being engaged and wedding planning I'm lucky to hit the gym twice per week now. My appetite has decreased significantly since and the indigestion issues are still an annoyance. Especially when I forget to take the Pantoprazole. I plan to get back into the gym 3-4 times per week and meal prepping again after the wedding.

How exactly did you regulate your stomach acid with apple cider vinegar? And what meal plans have worked well for you with GERD?
                So just like dry eyes, I believe my issues with gerd and my digestion were due to cyclic inflammation. What do I mean by that? Well if I eat too large a quantity of food, or too many bad foods in a row, I'll be inflamed for a few days. So even putting clean bland food in my body, is still feel horrible. So first off I did an elimination diet...I know chicken and rice NEVER bothers me, unless I'm already inflamed. So every single meal was cream of rice with fresh strawberries and a chicken breast just salt no pepper no other seasoning. After a couple weeks, the inflammation went down and so I'd introduce a new food, if it upset my stomach, I made sure not to eat it.

Now as as I did this I refused to take my aciphex anymore. That's where I employed different techniques to help heal my gut and stop the excess acid production. I would drink a tablespoon apple cider vinegar with mother, every single time I had heartburn. That helped, if it got out of control I took tums to bandage my pain. But the point is to still find the underlying issues. So I stared intermittent fasting, 12 hours no food. That gave my gut a break.

thats when things got better...eventually I didn't need the vinegar anymore. I can stil get heartburn but I know why...because I ate a pizza or a burger and tons of fries. Then I eat clean and pull back...things even out and I feel good again. If I continued to eat garbage I'd just put myself back into the cycle. So I can literally peg whats bothering me now where as before I couldn't. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

So just like dry eyes, I believe my issues with gerd and my digestion were due to cyclic inflammation. What do I mean by that? Well if I eat too large a quantity of food, or too many bad foods in a row, I'll be inflamed for a few days. So even putting clean bland food in my body, is still feel horrible. So first off I did an elimination diet...I know chicken and rice NEVER bothers me, unless I'm already inflamed. So every single meal was cream of rice with fresh strawberries and a chicken breast just salt no pepper no other seasoning. After a couple weeks, the inflammation went down and so I'd introduce a new food, if it upset my stomach, I made sure not to eat it.

Now as as I did this I refused to take my aciphex anymore. That's where I employed different techniques to help heal my gut and stop the excess acid production. I would drink a tablespoon apple cider vinegar with mother, every single time I had heartburn. That helped, if it got out of control I took tums to bandage my pain. But the point is to still find the underlying issues. So I stared intermittent fasting, 12 hours no food. That gave my gut a break.

thats when things got better...eventually I didn't need the vinegar anymore. I can stil get heartburn but I know why...because I ate a pizza or a burger and tons of fries. Then I eat clean and pull back...things even out and I feel good again. If I continued to eat garbage I'd just put myself back into the cycle. So I can literally peg whats bothering me now where as before I couldn't. Hope that helps.
                  Thank you for explaining this process in more detail. I plan to experiment with intermittent fasting very soon and will also look into trying the elimination diet. I definitely don't want to be on Proton Pump Inhibitors long term, especially if there are natural techniques out there that can reduce inflammation and the need for PPI/Antacids.

Comment

Doxy gave me serious gut problems which Im still dealing with now. It also made my rosacea and ocular rosacea a lot worse

Comment

Originally posted by DryinNYC View Post
                      Doxy gave me serious gut problems which Im still dealing with now. It also made my rosacea and ocular rosacea a lot worse
                      That sucks to hear...I'm going to give it another go. I took it at 100mg once a day when my eye issues first started, so I think I can tolerate it. Again, I assume the doxy made your overall condition worse because you inflamed your gut. Just an assumption...but I know a lot of internal diseases manifest themselves on the skin.

Comment

If you are on Doxy take a GOOD probiotic and take lots. Killing all of the flora in your gut is very dangerous. And don't take them together

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                          If you are on Doxy take a GOOD probiotic and take lots. Killing all of the flora in your gut is very dangerous. And don't take them together
                          I agree, I eat a lot of prebiotic foods (green veg, high fiber) and probiotics as well (Greek yogurt, fermented sauerkraut, etc.) I don't do well with kombucha or any pill type probiotics. They actually make me more sick. I'm just assuming it's the bacterial load just not complying with my gut. I eat really clean, maybe 2-3 meals a week I'll have sugar (I eat 6 meals a day to put it into perspective), otherwise I eat super clean just because I also get gut issues if I don't.

I may have to try a stronger probiotic...I went down the rabbit home once with probiotics and found out which type of bacteria as well as load was best. I'll have to research that again...it had a name with numbers in it. Was clinically studied so that made e feel good about it but never needed to take them because I resolved my gut issues and it had nothing to do with my flora.

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
                            I would try taking a probiotic daily while on Doxy. As others have mentioned, Doxy can destroy the gut flora overtime. I wish I would've known about Probiotics before.

I took Doxycycline (100mg per day) for two years without a probiotic, and now I'm being prescribed a Proton Pump Inhibitor (Pantoprazole) to take daily and also take a probiotic a few times a week as a result of bad indigestion/low stomach acid. It got to the point where I couldn't eat anything after 5pm or I wouldn't be able to sleep that night. Fortunately the Pantoprazole and Probiotic have helped somewhat restore my digestion, but I have to watch what I eat for dinner.
                            Sorry what is probiotic?
                            Is that something that doctors should prescribe. I have been on doxy for a while now.

Comment

yes you should definitely have some kind of probiotic whilst taking doxycycline. Doxy is very harsh on the flora of the stomach and kills a lot of good bacteria too, so it's best to blalnce it out with a probiotic to keep the healthy balance as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X