Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NatraSan First Aid Spray may be safe for eyelid hygiene!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    Thanks for your feedback and glad to know your confidence.

Demodex, based on my lengthy resarch
    -only tea tree oil (4-5%) can kill demodex.
    I recently saw a video (published about 4 weeks ago) by a Professor from USA who presented his research
    comparing Avenova and Cliradex (4% TTO) for demodex. Cliradex proved to kill demodex very effectively.
    If I find the video, will post it. That professor is specialized in demodex.

-HOCL cleanser is to tackle bacteria not demodex - but helps in some degrees as these two are related.

The effective lid hygiene is pure HOCL + tea tree oil product, if you ask me and it works perfectly for me.

lactofferin
    Sounds interesting and aim for bacteria?
    Do you have more info such as product name, %, how to apply etc. Did your doctor prescribe you? Just curious.
    Last edited by MGD1701; 09-Jun-2018, 14:00.

Comment

Demodex: Avenova vs Cliradex

Here is the video:

The effectiveness of lid cleansers on demodex in vitro (May 2, 2018)

Al Kabat, OD, FAAO, professor at Southern College of Optometry, discusses his research of the
      available lid cleansers on the market and how they perform at eradicating demodex in vitro
      at ARVO 2018 in Honolulu.

http://www.optometrytimes.com/optome...-demodex-vitro

Comment

Hi MGD 1701

The information you provided about hypochlorous acid for treating DEMODEX is very interesting.

My understanding is that anterior blepharitis is basically inflammation of the eyelid margins due to demodex infestation. If this is correct, and hypochlorous acid is not very effective in killing demodex, then I think one could conclude that it is not really indicated for treating anterior blepharitis.

However, this does not affect the effectiveness of hypochlorous acid in helping to treat chronic eye conditions, such as posterior blepharitis, MGD, lipid-deficient DED and, of course, ocular rosacea.
        Last edited by hannsho; 09-Jun-2018, 23:18.

Comment

Hello Hannsho. Sorry it's been a while for me to get back to you after you asked for an update on using Avenova. Because of circumstances, I was unable to begin using it for about a week after I received the sample. I used it for 4 nights, before going to bed. My eyes felt very clean and refreshed, so I was encouraged. But even by the second day, the irritation of my eyes began. I would awaken with crusty, red eyes. So I stopped using it. In reading this string, however, I noted that MGD 1701 said that she got better results by using less of it. I admit I was rather slathering it on.
          As for an update on the Lipi-Flow treatment, so far I've had zip, zero improvement, this being about 3 months post procedure.

One more thing on the Avenova. I saw that one of your posts mentioned their use of bleach. They specifically state in their literature that they don't use bleach. I think I would like to try the Natrasan spray if I can find it. I'll check around online tonight.

Comment

Hi Sisyphus
            I am sorry to hear of all the problems you have with your eyes. You are quite right, Avenova does not contain a preservative, it is Ocusoft‘s ‘hypochlor’ that uses a preservative of sodium hypochlorite.

As regards Natrasan, I don`t think you can expect to obtain better results from it than from using Avenova. A word of warning. The possibility of using Natrasan First Aid Spray for the purpose eyelid hygiene is purely based on analogy. The logic of analogy does not provide proof, although it can provide a damn good reason for believing its conclusions. The fact is that the Natrasan spray has not been tested clinically for purpose of eye hygiene, and this is something you ought to bear in mind.

Could it be that if you used Avenova also in the morning to clean your eye lids of crust that this might lead to an improvement? I use Natrasn First Aid Spray in the morning and evening, first spraying it on a cotton disc then wiping my closed eyelids with it. Whatever you decide to do be careful, and I hope you find a way to improve your eye condition soon.
            Last edited by hannsho; 22-Jun-2018, 04:50.

Comment

MY EXPERIENCE WITH NATRASAN FIRST AID SPRAY - GOOD RESULTS!

After having used Natrasan First Aid Spray for 5 1/2 weeks I wish to report my experience. My aim was to see if I could use the spray to maintain a stable situation without using Restasis. The reason for this is the following: Restasis is not available in Spain and I had to import it form Andorra, which is inconvenient and costly. Ikervis is also not available in Spain currently.

Presently my situation is as follows. I am now able to control my eye condition relying solely on artificial tear drops. (Tough I also take Omega 3 and use an eye pad to warm my eye lids for 8 minutes once a day which I am thinking of discontinuing soon.)

I now hardly ever experience a foreign body sensation, stinging in my eye or itchy eyelids. My eye no longer goes red, specifically I no longer suffer from constantly recurring ocular surface hyperemia. I no longer have trouble opening my eyelids in the morning, which was associated with pain and photosensitivity. I believe this improvement came about using Restasis eyedrops. However, before using Restasis eyedrops my I was almost constantly red, and I had to use eyedrops containing a powerful corticosteroid almost continuously to control the situation. Note, that this constant redness had nothing to do with infection but rather with an underlying inflammatory process caused by ocular rosacea. Shortly after I started to use the Natrasan First Aid spray I stopped using Restasis. (More correctly 0.05% Cyclosporine eyedrops made up for me by a local pharmacy.)

So far, the spray has not only maintained the situation but has led to some improvements. I do not need to use as many gel drops during the night now and on waking up my eye feels more comfortable. In addition, I find I must use fewer artificial eyedrops during the day.

An interesting point. After using the spray for 25 days my eyes suddenly became a bit red. Therefore, I started to use the spray only in the morning and stopped using the spray for 5 days on my right eye which is usually better than my left one. Reducing and stopping the use of the spray immediately improved the situation, which went back to normal. This suggests that any possible negative effects will disappear as soon as the use of the spray is stopped. MGD 1701 also found that it is not good to overuse the Natarajan First Aid Spray once the eye has stabilized. I now use the spray on both eyes, only once a day in the morning. In summary, so far, the Natrasan First Aid spray seems to do what I had hoped for.

I will stop here as otherwise this post will get far too long. However, I will gladly answer any questions that members of this forum may have.
              Last edited by hannsho; 30-Jun-2018, 09:58.

Comment

This is very interesting.

How are people applying/using the Natrasan to their eyelids?

Comment

Hi Quattroboy.
                  I can tell you how I use the Natrasan First Aid Spray. I use four sprays onto a cotton disc and then wipe my closed eyelids with the disc from left to right several times. I do not dry my eye afterwards. I used to do this in the morning and in the evening, but now only use the spray once a day in the morning. I believe that MGD 1701 sometimes sprays the hypochlorous acid directly onto the closed eyelids then lets the liquid dry without wiping it off. Hope that’s useful

Just found this video by Ocusoft that demonstrates how the spray can be used

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+use+hypochlor+spary&view=detail&mi d=102BD9CEABD388E06D89102BD9CEABD388E06D89&FORM=VI RE
                  Last edited by hannsho; 02-Jul-2018, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                    Hi
                    lactofferin
                    Sounds interesting and aim for bacteria?
                    Do you have more info such as product name, %, how to apply etc. Did your doctor prescribe you? Just curious.
                    Sorry, I missed this question until now.

I am taking oral lactoferrin supplements as there's some suggestion it can improve dry eye:

Comment

Originally posted by quattroboy View Post
                      This is very interesting.

How are people applying/using the Natrasan to their eyelids?
                      In my case: Spraying a cotton bud, and wiping along the lash lines. Then sprayiing a cotton pad and cleaning the whole eyelid area.

Comment

Meibum Ian expressed it more precisely - I also wipe along the lash lines, but use a cotton disc rather than a cotton bud.

Comment

Lid seals
                          Please consult doctors. Solutions: mask, swimming google, humidifier or
                          ointment before bedtime (I dont like ointment as it could block glands too).

Pure HOCL is for bacteria, particularly staphylococal, NOT demodex but when one has too much bacteria,
                          higher chance to have demodex. Best lid hygiene, in my view, is pure HOCL + tea tree oil product - but over-do is also not good.

Itchy eyes could be demodex or allergy.
                          Last edited by MGD1701; 14-Aug-2018, 13:37.

Comment

I’m too scared to try this. Can’t afford for my eyes to get any worse

Comment

Thank you for the information, MGD1701.

It's been a few days since I started using Natrasan sprayed on cotton swipes for my lids. From the third day on I felt a clear difference, with my eyes feeling more comfortable, the itch and redness basically gone. However, last night I woke up hours before the alarm rang (I've been having insomnia for a while, which makes eye dryness worse), and I felt a bit of discomfort on my left eye, and a small amount of mucus once again. Today I feel some mild discomfort on that eye. The other one feels fine. In any case I feel symptoms have basically improved, so I'm going to stick with natrasan for now and see how it goes. I hope the other people who are using it as well will write soon to tell us how it's going for them.

SirDryEye, I completely understand you, but I'd give it a try. Hypochlorous acid, by all accounts, is completely harmless on any mucose, and there are even specific eye drops with it as their main active ingredient, so I think it's a safe option even if it ends up not doing anything. Can I ask what are you currently using for treatment?

Comment

Sadly, a week later I have not so good news. For a few days it felt wonderful, no itchiness or discomfort. Sadly, yesterday I woke up with my left eye a bit red and itchy, and today I woke up with both eyes feeling uncomfortable, a bit reddish and with some mucus and discharge. I guess I'm definitely going to try using Cliradex as well. I wonder what might have happened for Natrasan to work the first few days and then stop working afterwards - I know HOCL is not supposed to kill demodex, but then why the initial improvement?

Anyway my problem now is that appatently European regulation forbids importing from outside the EU medical or cosmetic products which are to be used on the skin. Are there any other European Cliradex users here? Apparently there are websites that help circumverting this bit I was wondering if there might be an easier way?

EDIT: OK, forget about that last paragraph, I found it on amazon UK and apparently there is no trouble ordering from the UK to Spain.

Comment

Working...
                                X