No announcement yet.

What do you pay for Autologous serum??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you pay for Autologous serum??

My wife has full blown dry eye disease 4 doctors later and 3 mis diagnosis. MGD was the issue the whole time and we can only hope the amount of drugs, drops, roofs didn’t worsen her. We are now going to start with serum after not having much success after quite a few different trial and errors (lithiflow, compression, heat mask, diet restrictions, Welove eyes cleanser, heat masks, etc.) According to her current ophthalmologist none his other dry eye patients that have started the serum have quit.

That said If we are going to make a commitment to a long-term medication might as well start shopping since insurance doesn’t cover it.

Users please post any recommendation on where to take our prescription for serum drops and how much we should be paying.

Wish us luck!!

In Canada (Alberta) it is about $235for a 6 month supply of 50%, I will never be without it not that it replaces any other drop but rather it keeps my corneas nourished and healthy to protect them long term.

Where do you live because that can make a difference.

Comment

I’m in Western Washington State, USA. Our ophthalmologist said they are about $200/mo and then I saw a post by PhoenixEyes that someone was quoted $18.50/5ml (which I thought was a week supply roughly) at a California pharmacy Leiters.

Comment

I pay 200USD for mine, I get 14 vials of serum at 20% concentration. That will last anywhere from a month to two months depending on frequency of use. So a bottle lasts 2-5 days again, depending on use.

But im with farmgirl, I will NEVER stop using serum as my only eye drop. I mean, I calculated my theratears usage and that's about 60-80 a month...so it's not too far off. Plus I'm using something that's way more compatible with my eyes. So serum helped two fold, first by offering me a superior tear and then by allowing me to stop using an inferior one.

Funny story, I was seeing two docs, one that originally helped me get to where I'm at and now the one making my serum. When I went back to my original doc and was excited about the serum first thing he said in a snarky ass way was, heh what did he charge you for that? I said 200 for two months, he sarcastically chuckled and said they're 50/50, they work about half the time. I said well restasis only works 15% of the time and you prescribed that to me so why not start making serum yourself instead of handing out scripts for restasis. Needless to say that was my last visit with that guy lol. And it's sad cause he's really good with dry eye just kinda lazy I'd say. Anyway, hope it works out I suggest them as necessary imho.

Comment

I just got serum tears again, to see if it helps further improve my condition. I used it for several years when my eyes were severely dry, but it didn't seem to help much because while on it, the dryness and the surface of my eyes continued to get worse. However, to my knowledge, I never got an erosion or abrasion, so perhaps it was of some help.

At that time I was prescribed 100% concentration.
          The prescription I just got filled is 30% concentration, 6x daily, a two month supply, $410USD including the fee to draw and spin the blood.

Ideally you want a place close to where you live, as the drops should be transported frozen, to prevent bacterial growth. Some compounding pharmacies do deliver priority overnight on dry ice, including out-of-state, for a fee. Do you live in the U.S.?

Like your wife's doctor, the ophthalmologist who prescribed my serum tears this time also says everyone who tries them always continues. Probably true for the most part, but besides me, I know a few others who say it didn't help them at all, or not enough to warrant the process it takes every few months to get them. I would say give it a try for at least a few months. Serum tears are supposed to have much the same nourishing and healing properties as one's natural tears.

You might also look into scleral lenses, if you have not already, to help with the dryness. Not everyone can wear them, but if one can, it can bring some relief. Some people find it helpful to put serum tears in their sclerals along with the saline. There are top scleral brands/practitioners I would recommend based on my experience and those in this forum, like PROSE (which I wear), EyePrintPro, and LaserFit. Here's a good general description of sclerals from the PROSE website:

http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE/PRO...y-Eye-Syndrome

Your wife is fortunate to have you helping her. I could not have overcome this debilitating condition physically or emotionally without my husband's help and support. Hope she finds relief soon, and keep looking for things that could also help resolve the MGD.

Dowork,

Are you saying your doctor makes your serum tears at his office? I believe these drops are supposed to be made only by a compounding pharmacy, and only if they have a "clean room." There were some pharmacies that had to stop making serum tears because they violated certain protocol like this. Just an FYI.
          Last edited by Hokucat; 03-Jun-2018, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokucat View Post
            I just got serum tears again, to see if it helps further improve my condition. I used it for several years when my eyes were severely dry, but it didn't seem to help much because while on it, the dryness and the surface of my eyes continued to get worse. However, to my knowledge, I never got an erosion or abrasion, so perhaps it was of some help.

The prescription I just got filled is 30% concentration, 6x daily, a two month supply, $410USD including the fee to draw and spin the blood.

Ideally you want a place close to where you live, as the drops should be transported frozen, to prevent bacterial growth. Some compounding pharmacies do deliver priority overnight on dry ice, including out-of-state, for a fee. Do you live in the U.S.?

Like your wife's doctor, the ophthalmologist who prescribed my serum tears this time also says everyone who tries them always continues. Probably true for the most part, but besides me, I know a few others who say it didn't help them at all, or not enough to warrant the process it takes every few months to get them. I would say give it a try for at least a few months. Serum tears are supposed to have much the same nourishing and healing properties as one's natural tears.

You might also look into scleral lenses, if you have not already, to help with the dryness. Not everyone can wear them, but if one can, it can bring some relief. Some people find it helpful to put serum tears in their sclerals along with the saline. There are top scleral brands/practitioners I would recommend based on my experience and those in this forum, like PROSE (which I wear), EyePrintPro, and LaserFit. Here's a good general description of sclerals from the PROSE website:

http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE/PRO...y-Eye-Syndrome

Your wife is fortunate to have you helping her. I could not have overcome this debilitating condition physically or emotionally without my husband's help and support. Hope she finds relief soon, and keep looking for things that could also help resolve the MGD.

Dowork,

Are you saying your doctor makes your serum tears at his office? I believe these drops are supposed to be made only by a compounding pharmacy, and only if they have a "clean room." There were some pharmacies that had to stop making serum tears because they violated certain protocol like this. Just an FYI.
            Yes, so my doctor only dies serum on Thursday because that's the only thing he does that day. He uses a laminar flow hood, which is a device where pure air flows over your workstation to keep anything potentially hazardous out of your drops. I don't know if he's allowed to do this or not...it's not FDA regulated so I'm not sure how that works, but I'm confident in what I'm getting from him. He takes my blood and makes my drops in 30 minutes and I'm out the door with my cooler.

To be honest, if I had to, I'd make them myself at home. It's really not that hard. I have a laminar flow hood because I used to do sterile grain to grain transfers when I grew mushrooms. All I'd need is the collection equipment and the centergufe.

Matter of fact, there was a guy on YouTube I saw do a step by step on how to make them...he didn't use a hood, he just spun his blood and then poured the serum into amber glass vials. He was a cancer survivor making his own serum for comfort.

Ill ask him how that all works, hopefully without insulting him lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokucat View Post

The prices seem to vary a lot, and I'm not really sure what explains the difference in price since we're all theoretically getting the same product. The price quoted above is what I experienced on the west coast by contrast it was a lot cheaper at my compounding pharmacy on the east coast and no extra fees for drawing the blood ($300 for 3-month supply), also delivery was about 2-3 weeks faster so there's a clear difference. As others have mentioned, it should be fairly easy to make with access to a centrifuge. Of course this requires someone to draw your blood and some basic laboratory knowledge which I wouldn't feel comfortable performing on my own, but I do think serum tears are overpriced given the labor and technology required.

Comment

I have made them myself when I am in Panama and can't get them there. I have a girlfriend who is a nurse and she draws the blood and spins it. She draws it off into a syringe (still sterile) and then I inject it into a vial of non-preserved drops (which I recap) until it is about 50/50 because that is the concentration I use. I freeze them all and only keep the one I am using open which at 2x/day will last me 2-3 days. I have never had a problem. The only thing is that not all of the collection tubes are the same. You need to make sure the tubes you are drawing into have something in it but I can't remember why or what it is called.

Before I used the serum drops I always had dry spots on my corneas, since then I have never had spots, that is why I use it faithfully. I don't necessarily 'feel' any better but I know that it is keeping my corneas healthy and that is critical in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by diydry View Post

The prices seem to vary a lot, and I'm not really sure what explains the difference in price since we're all theoretically getting the same product. The price quoted above is what I experienced on the west coast by contrast it was a lot cheaper at my compounding pharmacy on the east coast and no extra fees for drawing the blood ($300 for 3-month supply), also delivery was about 2-3 weeks faster so there's a clear difference. As others have mentioned, it should be fairly easy to make with access to a centrifuge. Of course this requires someone to draw your blood and some basic laboratory knowledge which I wouldn't feel comfortable performing on my own, but I do think serum tears are overpriced given the labor and technology required.
                  There are a lot of reasons why the prices differ. I think the main one being, it's only wort it for us to produce if we make a substantial amount from it. If you're doing it with proper aseptic technique, you need a laminar flow hood...that costs about 6-10k, the centerfuge is under a grand brand new, then the equipment for blood draws, saline, bottles and most importantly the persons time.

i personally have no trouble drawing my own blood. But again, I was a competitive bodybuilder for 16 years, daily injections, so needles don't bother me.

Im lucky because I can afford the drops, and when I replace my theratears with these, the cost goes from 200 to 80...because I spend 120 on artificial tears. So the difference is minimal to me, however, the benefit is vast.

farmgirl: you don't need the coagulant in the tube but it helps keep the plasma in one chuck at the bottom. If you spin it in an empty tube, you'll still get your serum to sepearate, it'll just be harder to remove.

Comment

Ah, that is what is in the tube, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

$213 CAD for 3 months supply in Toronto.

Comment

Would anyone mind telling where they are getting their serum tears from now? In particular, I am in need of a pharmacy that is able to deliver out-of-state, as it's my only solution right now.

The Southwest general area would be preferable, though I'm open to any suggestions. (Leiters, unfortunately, has stopped making them altogether.)

Comment

Working...
                        X