Does anybody have any tips regarding the dry eye night goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have any tips regarding the dry eye night goggles

I put these on to sleep in as my eyes don't close all the way at night. However, I often wake up in the early hours of the morning with my goggles off and my eye dry. I must be taking them off in my sleep!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Hello Jack. Which brand night goggles are you using? I used to have that problem with TranquilEyes, maybe because they are looser and bulkier than than the EyeSeals 4.0 I wear now.

Perhaps bubble bandages will work better for you. They sell them in this forum's Dry Eye Shop, along with other night protection options. You can also call them and ask which product might work best for your situation.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/n...andage-sampler

Comment

Originally posted by Hokucat View Post
      Hello Jack. Which brand night goggles are you using? I used to have that problem with TranquilEyes, maybe because they are looser and bulkier than than the EyeSeals 4.0 I wear now.

Perhaps bubble bandages will work better for you. They sell them in this forum's Dry Eye Shop, along with other night protection options. You can also call them and ask which product might work best for your situation.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/n...andage-sampler
      I use eye seals 4.0 now. I also notice when i lay on my head on its side after putting them on, it distorts them, and they come away at the eye area?

Comment

Yes, that can happen. Maybe that's another reason they come off at night. I sleep mostly on my back so less of an issue for me.

Then maybe since you are a side sleeper the bubble bandages will be better since it is an adhesive. Plus the adhesive likely seals out the air better than EyeSeals.

Comment

Yes, that can happen. Maybe that's another reason they come off at night. I sleep mostly on my back so less of an issue for me.

Then maybe since you are a side sleeper the bubble bandages will be better since it is an adhesive. Plus the adhesive likely seals out the air better than EyeSeals.
          cool. when you wake up, do you have little pockets of water/moisture in the eye area of the goggles?

Comment

Yes, sometimes I do see a little condensation inside the goggles in the morning.

Do you also put in any eye drops, gels or ointments right before you go to sleep?

Comment

Yes, sometimes I do see a little condensation inside the goggles in the morning.

Do you also put in any eye drops, gels or ointments right before you go to sleep?
              No, I do not. I kinda of think the goggles are the alternative to ointment?

Comment

Using goggles/bubble bandages AND drops/gels/ointments at the same time can give you extra protection. There's several night ointments, but the thickness and ingredients (mineral oil, white petroleum) always bothered my eyes. I would recommend a gel drop drop, as these are longer lasting than regular drops. I used to use Systane Ultra preservative-free or Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel. The Genteal is my all time favorite, the only drop/gel that gave me some relief...long-lasting, and gave me a moist, soothing feeling and great seal to the eyeball from environmental factors. I used to have very severe dry eyes literally like sandpaper, so used gel drops during both day and night.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/d...ts/genteal-gel

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/s.../systane-ultra

Comment

Using goggles/bubble bandages AND drops/gels/ointments at the same time can give you extra protection. There's several night ointments, but the thickness and ingredients (mineral oil, white petroleum) always bothered my eyes. I would recommend a gel drop drop, as these are longer lasting than regular drops. I used to use Systane Ultra preservative-free or Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel. The Genteal is my all time favorite, the only drop/gel that gave me some relief...long-lasting, and gave me a moist, soothing feeling and great seal to the eyeball from environmental factors. I used to have very severe dry eyes literally like sandpaper, so used gel drops during both day and night.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/d...ts/genteal-gel

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/s.../systane-ultra
                  one of the reason i stopped using the night gel/ointment was it made my eyes feel funny for the first few hours after waking up. I can't describe what the feeling is like, but it's a mixture of irritated/sensitive. So, for that reason I avoid night ointment.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean by the sensitive/irritated feeling from night time ointments. The Genteal gel is a lot different than that.

Comment

Tolerance for night lubricants varies a lot. Couple of pointers
                      - Most ointments contain lanolin alcohol and some people are sensitive to it
                      - Ointments vary a lot in the proportions of petrolatum to mineral oil and some people do not do well with the ones that have a high proportion of petrolatum. More info
                      - Polymer gels like Genteal Gel are a good substitute for many people - almost as viscous, but they evaporate fully, no greasy residue. However the dissipating preservative causes issues for some people.

Goggles
                      - The strap on all of the Eye Eco products is too slippery for some people. I know a lot of people who jury-rig it with velcro or elastic to keep it on more firmly.
                      - It's unusual for Eyeseals to slip around because it has enough of a flange flat against the skin to anchor it well on most people. But it does happen.
                      - If you have any issues with Eyeseals losing shape, etc, the manufacturer is really good with the warranty replacements (up to a year from original purchase).
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                        Tolerance for night lubricants varies a lot. Couple of pointers
                        - Most ointments contain lanolin alcohol and some people are sensitive to it
                        - Ointments vary a lot in the proportions of petrolatum to mineral oil and some people do not do well with the ones that have a high proportion of petrolatum. More info
                        - Polymer gels like Genteal Gel are a good substitute for many people - almost as viscous, but they evaporate fully, no greasy residue. However the dissipating preservative causes issues for some people.

Goggles
                        - The strap on all of the Eye Eco products is too slippery for some people. I know a lot of people who jury-rig it with velcro or elastic to keep it on more firmly.
                        - It's unusual for Eyeseals to slip around because it has enough of a flange flat against the skin to anchor it well on most people. But it does happen.
                        - If you have any issues with Eyeseals losing shape, etc, the manufacturer is really good with the warranty replacements (up to a year from original purchase).
                        Hi, I am taking them off in my sleep rather than them slipping off. Sometimes I wake up at 3am and they are still on, but then I wake up at 7am, for work, and they are on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

Hi, I am taking them off in my sleep rather than them slipping off. Sometimes I wake up at 3am and they are still on, but then I wake up at 7am, for work, and they are on the floor.
                          What sort of eye drops would be best for when I wake up with a little dryness? My glands are okay, so I don't need to put them in 3x daily or anything. I just need something mild for the morning to help with the initial dryness, when the goggles have come off. Maybe something preservative free?

Comment

Now that my eyes are not as severely dry, I really like Genteal Tears Preservative Free vials. It is very mild, not thick, and drops made with Hypromellose and Dextran are very soothing for my eyes:

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/d.../genteal-tears

Everyone is different which drops they prefer, and whether you have MGD, aqueous deficiency, allergies, etc. may also impact which drop works best. Often people try several with different ingredients to find the one they prefer. Below is a handy list from this forum's Dry Eye Shop that has most of the different drops, the main ingredients, and whether it contains preservatives. You are absolutely right to use something preservative-free, especially stay away from drops with the preservative BAK which can make your dry eyes worse and cause permanent damage.

https://dryeyeshop.com/pages/lubrica...reference-list

Comment

Now that my eyes are not as severely dry, I really like Genteal Tears Preservative Free vials. It is very mild, not thick, and drops made with Hypromellose and Dextran are very soothing for my eyes:

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/d.../genteal-tears

Everyone is different which drops they prefer, and whether you have MGD, aqueous deficiency, allergies, etc. may also impact which drop works best. Often people try several with different ingredients to find the one they prefer. Below is a handy list from this forum's Dry Eye Shop that has most of the different drops, the main ingredients, and whether it contains preservatives. You are absolutely right to use something preservative-free, especially stay away from drops with the preservative BAK which can make your dry eyes worse and cause permanent damage.

https://dryeyeshop.com/pages/lubrica...reference-list
                              thanks,

I am from the UK, so hopefully i can get alternative here.

I'm not sure what BAK is. I'll will keep a look out for it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X